PDA

View Full Version : Do my (soon to be) preschoolers need backpacks?

TwinFoxes
08-12-2012, 01:53 PM
DDs are going to preschool for the first time this fall (:yay:and :crying:). Should I get them little backpacks, or are lunchboxes enough? I hate to buy backpacks they don't need, but I'd love to take advantage of Garnet Hill's sale if they do need them. I'll need junior size for now, but I imagine they'll only get a year or two at most out of those.

wellyes
08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
We did. DD had a folder which went back and forth with her each day - that's how the teachers would send us notes and news, and I'd send in checks, scholastic book orders, stuff like that. She also brought home her daily craft in her backpack.

ellies mom
08-12-2012, 01:58 PM
It depends on the school. My daughter's program wants the students to have backpacks big enough to hold a folder so that their projects don't get messed up. The program my oldest went to one year didn't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amldaley
08-12-2012, 01:58 PM
They'll need some sort of bag to bring spare clothes in or bring art work home. They won't be carrying heavy books, binders or supplies, so nothing heavy duty. I would check with the pre-school as DD1's previous school did not allow full size backpacks. (Too big, not enough space in shared cubbies). They specifically requested open top totes so teachers could drop notes in easily.

wencit
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
It depends on the school. :yeahthat:

DS1's first two preschools never required one, and I just carried home his projects by hand. Then we moved and switched to a different preschool, and needed to buy him one for that school. I would call the preschool and ask.

speo
08-12-2012, 02:04 PM
We never needed backpacks at our preschool. They even discouraged them. Too much for the kids/teachers to deal with. They just had their lunchboxes.

Melaine
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
There is an additional code that will work for GH too. This should be it. http://twitter.com/GarnetHill/status/234703347830095872

If you add two jr. backpacks w/ free lunchboxes plus pencil cases you will see a discount.

KpbS
08-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Most likely yes, although some preschools require/provide tote bags instead of backpacks. If you get backpacks, definitely go with a jr. size as the full size ones are way too big to fit properly on the average preschoolers frame. Yea for preschool! It's my favorite age. :)

crl
08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Ds needed one. Had to be big enough to hold a folder.
Catherine

ang79
08-12-2012, 03:04 PM
My DD1 needed one for preschool, as we had a communication folder come home daily w/ notes, papers, projects, etc.

Can someone enlighten me on the Garnet Hill sale? Looking for a backpack for DD1 to start K with in a few weeks!

gatorsmom
08-12-2012, 03:17 PM
We had back packs. They carried their folder to school and back. Plus I kept a change of clothes for each of them in there (because at that age you never know). In the winter they carried their snow pants and boots in it.

Momit
08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
At DS's first preschool we did bring a backpack every day. They just had hooks for coats, no little cubbies, so his snack and spare clothes were in his backpack. At the current preschool I don't feel like we need a backpack, since spare clothes are in a cubby and he doesn't bring a snack. Still we have a tiny backpack from Lands' End and I just bought the adorable little Boden rucksack. And we have Garnet Hill and LLBean ones for when he gets bigger. Apparently I have a backpack addiction.

ETA A lot of kids at DS's preschool leave a tote bag hanging at their kid's spot. I've just never found the need to cart that much stuff back and forth. Teachers just put notes and artwork in the cubbies and I carry it home by hand.

We do use the LLBean one now for travel (have the reg. size backpack and wheeled backpack that we use as a carry on and "personal item" for him on the plane. And the Garnet Hill one was one of those crazy $9 deals from a couple of years ago. I ordered the junior and the regular but the regular went back because the monogram was not done correctly. I am waiting for that super sale again. Because we need more backpacks.

baileygirl
08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Our school the kids are given tote bags to decorate and use. I would ask before buying because sometimes space is an issue and they want something specific.

elektra
08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
DD didn't need one really, even though we got her one. I think she took it the first day and that's it. :) but we have still used it for traveling and its how she carries her change of clothes for the pool now. W got the PBK preschool one, with the monogramming. Perfect size and it's really sturdy. I would just ge them off you like the garnet hill ones and t comes with the lunch box and all that.

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2012, 04:01 PM
We didnt need one for ds1 but did for ds2, per school requirement. I wouldn't waste the $ if it wasn't needed.

joonbug
08-12-2012, 04:35 PM
We need one. I picked up a skip hop owl backpack, just big enough for the lunchbox and notebook they will need to carry back and forth.

Kindra178
08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
DS1 didn't need one for preschool, but did need one for camp. He also used it for travel so it was great to have. DS2 and 3 need one for their new preschool.

From experience it seems some preschools prefer an open topped tote which makes it easy for a child to put papers in, but preschool sized open totes are hard to find (and even harder three years ago).

hillview
08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
we needed one for extra clothes and a folder. Once DS went to full day we also needed space for lunch

jerigirl
08-13-2012, 08:25 AM
They'll need some sort of bag to bring spare clothes in or bring art work home. They won't be carrying heavy books, binders or supplies, so nothing heavy duty. I would check with the pre-school as DD1's previous school did not allow full size backpacks. (Too big, not enough space in shared cubbies). They specifically requested open top totes so teachers could drop notes in easily.

:yeahthat: Our preschool wants tote bags as well. They don't allow backpacks. Definitely check with the school before you purchase.

TwinFoxes
08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the advice to check with the school. Silly me, I assumed there'd be a "typical" answer. :) I'm trying to remember if I saw backpacks when I toured the school. I'm pretty sure there were no tote bags. I'll give them a call this week.

arivecchi
08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
We did. DD had a folder which went back and forth with her each day - that's how the teachers would send us notes and news, and I'd send in checks, scholastic book orders, stuff like that. She also brought home her daily craft in her backpack.:yeahthat: DS went to a pretty formal Catholic pre-school though. I'd definitely check with the school.

BabyBearsMom
08-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Our preschool requires backpack. DD loves wearing hers (we have the Skip Hop one with the owl).

AnnieW625
08-13-2012, 11:00 AM
DD1 didn't really need one, but the year she was 3 DH dropped her at school and our DCP picked her up so she still needed a blanket for nap, and it was nice to be able to put a sweatshirt, and or jacket in there if it was needed.

DD1 had the predecessor to the Lands End Small Haul, which is now the Classmate Small, which would have easily lasted her through kindergarten.

eta: this was a half day drop off preschool and most of the kids did not bring backpacks. There weren't enough of them that they just put them in a single milk crate by the door.

twowhat?
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Definitely check with the school and ask what everyone does. Our girls' preschool requires (and provides) a backpack, in which we are to keep a change of clothes, and sunscreen (if we want them to apply a specific one). There are hooks in the classroom to hang them (and a jacket) during the day, but backpacks go home every night and are helpful for when the girls bring all their art stuff/teacher communications home. It feels silly bringing a bag of spare clothes home every night, but I understand that the school doesn't want us keeping stuff there overnight cuz I could see that getting out of hand with the parents wanting to keep this or that there for "just in case".

JBaxter
08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Our preschool requires OPEN TOP TOTES ONLY. Its highlighted EVERYWHERE bit NO BACKPACKS please several places. Children are required to put their own papers from their cubby in their bags and its to hard for little fingers to work zippers etc. Check with your school but the 3 preschools my boys attneded here requested open top totes.

baileygirl
08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Also, I have noticed some schools don't allow character backpacks.