PDA

View Full Version : Good deal? Disney backpacks $12, lunch bags $8 - in store and online

ang79
08-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Are these worth it? My MIL loves to shop at her Disney Outlet for the girls and DD1 needs a bag for K, and DD2 will need one for preschool, so I was going to send her there to pick them up bags this week. Is the quality enough to hold up for 1 school year? I was going to get an LE one, but after paying bills, figured I'd better go cheap for now :(

Not sure about what size is needed for K either, she has a lunchbox from Target, so there has to be enough room inside for that, a folder, library books, and whatever else they need to pack! Are these any nicer quality than what I could get at Kohls or Target? Because I see Kohls has a lot of character backpacks for $15 this week and I have a 30% off......

OKKiddo
08-12-2012, 09:20 PM
I bought a Marvel Comics Super Hero backpack from Disney last year. I didn't like the shape of the straps (they didn't fit a preschooler or kindergartner well--the way they slope away from the shoulders makes it fall off). The screen printing was something I thought would end up peeling away quickly. So, I left the review on Disney.com and they gave me a $15 gift card to make up for it. The Angry Bird backpack I bought for my older son had a great graphic (purchased off amazon) but the stitching came completely apart.

So, here we are, getting ready to start the new school year and my younger son's Marvel backpack is still in great shape--even if ill fitting. I say, if it's in your budget then go for a Disney back pack and if it seems to let you down, review it and let Disney know.

I bought the one Disney backpack for my younger son because we had a great experience with their previous back packs (Toy Story and Lightening McQueen) with lunch bags. Those backpacks fit great and had plenty of room to stuff everything into them. The lunch bags were plenty room enough for their preschool lunches that I would even send a sippy with...but they did get awful dirty and stained in the year--but they unzipped almost all the way to let you clean it out pretty good. Those backpacks also stood up really well and looked practically brand new almost 2 years later when we sold them in a garage sale.

I think we're going to go with one more character backpack for this last year and then for his 1st grade year we'll probably switch to something plainer to last for several years. Good luck with your choice!

Radosti
08-12-2012, 10:10 PM
I went with Lands End last year and it is still in awesome shape now. I would go with a Lands End or LL Bean over disney any day.

Tenasparkl
08-12-2012, 10:30 PM
I bought my DD a Merida lunchbox there at the beginning of July and it's already ripped.

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2012, 10:53 PM
I think the $ is all spent on marketing vs a quality product. Our Cars' lunchbox is actually fine but I'd go ll bean or le instead.

OKKiddo
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I think the $ is all spent on marketing vs a quality product. Our Cars' lunchbox is actually fine but I'd go ll bean or le instead.

I think you could go cute backpack and get a nice lunch box from ll bean or le like Snuggle Buggles recommended.

melonkelli
08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
also check with the school before you buy. Our kindergarten has a no backpack policy because they don't have the space-- the kids take a large laminated envelope to school and home every day. they just carry their lunchbag and the envelope.

Kelli, California

ang79
08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
I bought a Marvel Comics Super Hero backpack from Disney last year. I didn't like the shape of the straps (they didn't fit a preschooler or kindergartner well--the way they slope away from the shoulders makes it fall off). The screen printing was something I thought would end up peeling away quickly. So, I left the review on Disney.com and they gave me a $15 gift card to make up for it. The Angry Bird backpack I bought for my older son had a great graphic (purchased off amazon) but the stitching came completely apart.

So, here we are, getting ready to start the new school year and my younger son's Marvel backpack is still in great shape--even if ill fitting. I say, if it's in your budget then go for a Disney back pack and if it seems to let you down, review it and let Disney know.

I bought the one Disney backpack for my younger son because we had a great experience with their previous back packs (Toy Story and Lightening McQueen) with lunch bags. Those backpacks fit great and had plenty of room to stuff everything into them. The lunch bags were plenty room enough for their preschool lunches that I would even send a sippy with...but they did get awful dirty and stained in the year--but they unzipped almost all the way to let you clean it out pretty good. Those backpacks also stood up really well and looked practically brand new almost 2 years later when we sold them in a garage sale.

I think we're going to go with one more character backpack for this last year and then for his 1st grade year we'll probably switch to something plainer to last for several years. Good luck with your choice!

Good to know about the $15 they sent you when you were not satisfied. While I'd love to buy here the one she wants at LE, with the Disney price I can get her one for K and her sister one for preschool, both for a bit cheaper than buying one LE. I'm not expecting it to last years, as I'm guessing she'll want something different by next year as well. So for $12 I just need it to stand up to one year. She's actually pretty good about taking care of her things for the most part too. When she is older and needs a more rugged and bigger backpack, I do plan on investing in one from LE or LLB to last for a few years and hold up to the weight of lots of textbooks!

ciw
08-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Here are a few other backpacks that are on sale. (DS has LE backpacks so I have no idea how any of these would wear.)

Children's Place -- $11.99 (plus I think code N6HDN73H82 gives an extra 20 percent off. If not, there are other codes on RTM). Matching lunchboxes are $5.99 before coupon).

Company Kids has a pony backpack for $11.99 (maybe too small for kindergarten)http://www.thecompanystore.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-TCS-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=78026B&src=TGPLA&cm_ven=GPLA&cm_cat=ck-clearance-luggage-backpacks&cm_pla=Explorer%20Toddler%20Backpack&cm_ite=78026B&sisearchengine=182&siproduct=GPLA&clearppc=1&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=78026B

Melissa and Doug Rainbow backpack on Amazon, $15.77 --

csmolu78
08-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I saw a super cute Skippy John Jones one at Kohl's yesterday with their Cares for Kids books for $5.00.