PDA

View Full Version : Just got back and itching to go again? DL questions...

bisous
08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
We went yesterday to DL. In the early part of the summer we were blocked out (DH is a CM) but it is open again. Yesterday was hot and crowded but I still really loved it. And we have some weeks left in the summer so...

Would you rather go on a day that is supposed to be "okay" for crowd control with the help of my teenage niece? Or the following week which should be a "ghost town" without an extra helper.

Which would you pick?

Second part. IF I go with my niece, should I offer to pay for her help? She's 12 and I'm only going to ask her to either ride the rides with the big kids or possibly to hold the baby (or watch him while he naps) while I take a turn using the rider/switch pass. I would get her in for free and cover all of her food.

TIA!

wencit
08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
My answer would depend on whether 1) DH is coming with you, 2) how many kids you have, and 3) the ages of your kids.

If the situation is such that DH is coming and you have enough adults so that you can split up relatively easily, I'd choose the "ghost town" scenario (although, unless it's mid-week in early December, I wouldn't necessarily count on Disneyland being totally empty).

Otherwise, if you go with your 12yo niece, I think it's fine to cover just her admission and food.

bisous
08-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Ah, I should clarify. DH won't be going. It would be me and DS1 (age almost 9), DS2 (age 5) and DS3 (age 11mo).

I think as I'm writing this I'm leaning towards going with my niece.

Thanks for chiming in!

wencit
08-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I'd go with my niece, too! I can't imagine trying to do Disneyland with 3 kids those ages, all by myself!!!

Have fun!

bisous
08-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I know, thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure I don't think I could do it! I've been alone with two kids LOTS of times but DS3 is hard and I'm just outnumbered at this point!

Thanks!

rolypoly27
08-13-2012, 12:00 AM
I think you are already leaning towards it, but I would definitely take your niece. Couldn't imagine doing it alone with three kids. I think covering admission and food is plenty for your niece.

lalasmama
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
I think you are already leaning towards it, but I would definitely take your niece. Couldn't imagine doing it alone with three kids. I think covering admission and food is plenty for your niece.

:yeahthat:

belovedgandp
08-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I agree with taking the help and agree that you shouldn't feel the need to pay her also. I have a neighbor that did similar things with me when she was 10-12 years old and my kids were younger. So nice to not have to take everyone with me when we went to the bathroom and to feel comfortable leaving the kids someplace while I got food and things like that.

Seitvonzu
08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
totally take the niece--what a treat for her too! :) i think the ticket/food is nice and enough for her helping you. maybe she could get a little souvenir if you feel so inclined? (i know that once i get to disney i feel more inclined to stuff like that-- i think it's the happy they put in the water out there)

hellokitty
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Take your niece, that's what I would do if I were in your shoes. This way, it will even help if someone has to use the bathroom, she can stay with the other one, or if you get food, she can wait at the table, etc..

Tondi G
08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
totally take the niece--what a treat for her too! :) i think the ticket/food is nice and enough for her helping you. maybe she could get a little souvenir if you feel so inclined? (i know that once i get to disney i feel more inclined to stuff like that-- i think it's the happy they put in the water out there)

yeah this!

BayGirl2
08-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Agree, you will be more relaxed and better able to enjoy it, hence your kids will have a better time, if you have an extra set of adult hands there.

As for paying your niece, I think it depends a bit on family dynamics, but generally I think a ticket, food, and maybe a cute souvenir as a thanks is more than enough. Do you normally pay her to babysit? What is the standard in your family? Does she go to DL on her own for fun so this really is kind of work for her?

I'd probably opt for the less crowded time (we're going Labor Day week for that reason) but I'd prioritize the help over the crowds.