PDA

View Full Version : WWYD-School or not tomorrow?

123LuckyMom
08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I've got a really big dilemma. Tonight DS tossed his cookies- vomit everywhere! There were no other symptoms except a little cough and bellyache that started after nap and stopped after the big event. No fever. He ate like a stevedor all day! Today we went to Friendly's, which is very rare. We're healthy eaters, but today DS ate mozerella sticks, broccoli, and a sundae for lunch. He seriously stuffed his face. After nap, he got that cough and said his tummy hurt. We thought he had to poop, but the vomit cleared that up.

Normally, I'd keep him home from school without a second thought, but tomorrow I have an outpatient hospital procedure. It's an epidural for the nerve pain I've been experiencing since November when I was in a car accident. It's a long story, but suffice it to say that I really need this procedure, and I had to wait a long time to get it! After the procedure, I'm supposed to be on bed rest for the rest of the day. DH can't take off work. I have the youth minister of our church, who used to be a nanny, coming to take care of DD and bring her to me to nurse. She can stay until 3pm. DS is supposed to be in school until 5 when a friend was going to pick him up and bring him home. I'd then only have to manage until 6:30 when DH gets home.

I fear that if I can't send DS to school tomorrow, I'll have to cancel the procedure. The child care provider is coming at 8:45 prepared to take care of an easy infant, not seriously rambunctious DS. Honestly, if he were lethargic or sick feeling, I might ask this woman to try to care for them both, but he seems totally fine now. Also, she's leaving at 3, and if I have to take care of both kids then, I'm afraid the procedure might not take.

I suspect that DS just stuffed himself with greasy, sugary food he's not used to eating, but he might be sick and could pass along the germs at school. Of course, if he is sick, I'm sure that's where he got the germs in the first place, but, ugh!!! I just don't know what to do!!!! What should I do?

twowhat?
08-12-2012, 10:31 PM
No fever and feeling completely fine after a single episode of vomiting after an unusually heavy meal? If he is still feeling fine tomorrow, I'd totally send him.

Good luck with the procedure!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-12-2012, 10:38 PM
eek, that's a tough one. is there any way you can pay the sitter extra to watch your DS as well? i don't know how old your DS is, but if he isn't really sick with a bug it shouldn't be too bad to take care of him in add'n to the baby...IME taking care of a sick kid is levels harder than a healthy one, esp if you have another baby to attend to as well.

i dont' know but if it were me, my worry would be that if i sent him to school there may be a chance he could feel sick again....i'd be worrying the whole day about possibly getting a phone call from the school asking to pick a sick kid up, and figuring out what to do then at the last minute. but that's just me...i have no idea how quick kids normally get over things like this. my DH has occasionally over-stuffed himself with junk food/milkshakes to the point of vomiting that evening.. and often times he still feels somewhat crappy the next day (though that could just be an age factor and my DH being a baby and trying to milk the sick-husband deal, who knows :))

3isEnough
08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd make a game day decision and see how he feels in the morning. My DS recently had an episode like that - he ate so much rich food (stuff he's not used to eating) that e threw up literally as he was taking another bite.

I say if your DS is feeling fine in the morning, send him on his way and get your procedure. If he's sick, then unfortunately you'll need to come up with a plan B.

Fingers crossed it was just the food, and good luck with your procedure :thumbsup:

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2012, 10:51 PM
No fever and feeling completely fine after a single episode of vomiting after an unusually heavy meal? If he is still feeling fine tomorrow, I'd totally send him.

Good luck with the procedure!

:yeahthat: I hope all goes well!

malphy
08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I would say if there was no fever he should be ok. I would definitely have a back up plan in case school calls to say he is sick. Go have your procedure and good luck.

Seitvonzu
08-12-2012, 11:28 PM
we had something similar happen AT school this year-- my daughter mentioned that her stomach was full or something and i sent her to school because i just thought she was maybe constipated. it was a party day, and it never occured to me to have her miss it :( so i sent her and she tossed her cookies as soon as the party started :( poor little thing. as soon as they got her changed into new clothes she wanted to EAT HER PARTY TREATS-- NO WAY!

silly child. after the barfies? she was totally fine. like...immeadiately. i always arrived a bit early to get her (paranoid about being late) so i just took her as soon as i got there and she went skipping down the hall. when we came back and the parents were asking how she was , i was confused? i forgot she even threw up!

so....if he seems ok in the morning? SEND :)

baileygirl
08-13-2012, 01:37 AM
As long as he seems fine, I would send him in your situation...but my concern would be what if he is sick and gets sent home? Would you have someone who would be able to care for him? I hope your surgery goes well!

Tondi G
08-13-2012, 01:50 AM
I would see how he does over night ... if he wakes in the middle of the night and throws up again or seems off in the morning then keep him home and see if your baby sitter can help you out and watch both kids. If he is seemingly fine in the morning, eats breakfast well etc. then I would send him on to school.

I would make sure you have a plan in mind in case you get that dreaded call that he has thrown up at school and needs to be picked up.

klwa
08-13-2012, 06:51 AM
If it's a "one and done", I'd send him. Hopefully he was okay over night.

Snow mom
08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
I'll be the voice of dissent and say rules are rules. The rule is no vomiting for 24 hours and I would respect that. There has to be another way to solve the problem than to tell yourself he couldn't have anything another kid could catch and send him to school. In my household my DH's "absolutely can't stay home from work" would have to turn into a "I'll watch the DC" on this occasion. Or call in a favor. Or call the sitter and explain the situation. Watching TV all day would be fine with me if that would make the sitters life easier.

123LuckyMom
08-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Well, the update is that he had no fever and seemed fine. I called the school, and they said to bring him in. I've had my procedure, and I pray it takes! If he needs to come home early, I don't really have a plan B, but if he's really unwell, he'll be content to watch a movie in my bedroom, so the big problem will just be going to pick him up. I doubt he's sick, though. I just think he ate too much junk! Thanks for the advice!