PDA

View Full Version : New to selling on Craigslist question...

smilequeen
08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Where do you meet people if you are selling something on Craigslist?

I am selling a few strollers I don't need anymore. I have a few people wanting to see them this week. I am not comfortable having people come to my home. But where do you meet with them? Park, parking lot of a store, I just don't know? I'll have my kids with me and I want to make sure we're all safe.

KpbS
08-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Parking lot of a local store or restaurant like CFA.

wellyes
08-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Parking lot is how I'd go.

But I will say, I have never in my years of buying and selling met anywhere but a private home. I wouldn't mind meeting someone at a parking lot, but I'm more used to having the seller say "I'll be home between 10am-11am, call my cell when you get here" vs meeting at a specific time. My buyers are late, often as not. So do keep that in mind.

malphy
08-13-2012, 12:10 AM
I always used a busy store parking lot, like target. target especially because of their excellent security cameras, god forbid something bad were to happen.

purpelina
08-13-2012, 12:27 AM
It also depends on the area you live in. Is it a safe town? Does it have sketchy areas?
I think there's less chance for someone strange to be after you when you are selling a stroller.
However, if you don't feel comfortable, alert your neighbor that someone will be coming to your house, or do meet at a parking lot. You can tell the person "I will be running errands in the mall area /downtown / shopping plaza from 10-noon and can meet you say at Target at 11?" That way, if they are late or early, they can call you and still have a chance to meet with you.
Get a phone number and try to talk to the person before scheduling a meeting. It might put you at ease. In any case, have a phone number and give them yours. Oh, and only accept cash.
Good luck!

crl
08-13-2012, 12:46 AM
I have always just had people come to my house. (The only time I was supposed to do a transaction in a parking lot, the seller never showed.) I often find people are a bit late so take that into account. If you don't want to have them come to your home (totally understandable), I would pick a busy place with something for your kids to do. I think busy parking lots are traditional, but maybe a park or a MacDonalds with a play place?

Catherine

AngB
08-13-2012, 01:06 AM
I like to meet somewhere busy especially if it's just me and DS, like a convenience store gas station (we have QT here that have huge parking lots with cameras and tons of people in and out--that's always a good place to meet and we have 2 less than 10 min away.)

That being said, I've also met at people's homes and had people come to my home. I don't really feel like it's anymore risky than someone looking up my address online. Honestly, we have a couple sketchy neighborhood teenagers that I would worry more about than any random person on CL. If you are a criminal, leaving a "paper" trail through CL is not very smart and a lot more work than just finding a random unsuspecting person in a parking lot or whatever. It also helps that I have a german shepherd mix and a husky that bark-and our german shepherd mix is people shy and will growl at anyone she doesn't know at our door.

I've never sold or bought anything especially valuable either, about $100 tops, if you are selling something for $200 or more, I might have someone else with me just as an extra precaution.

LKMang
08-13-2012, 06:57 AM
I've also done parking lots. I usually try to plan my shopping trips (or returning stuff) around it so it isn't a total waste if they don't show up and I can save on the gas.

Momit
08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
I've never sold anything but the times I've bought something, I've always gone to the seller's house. They've had the item waiting in the garage or they immediately step onto the front porch. I've never been asked into someone's home, which is fine since I wouldn't want to go in anyway.

daphne
08-13-2012, 07:15 AM
I've had people come to my house before (I try to make sure it's on a Sat when there are lots of neighbors around) and I've also met up in store parking lots.

KrisM
08-13-2012, 07:53 AM
I've done both. Most often when selling, I end up meeting because I'm pretty rural and most people are 45+ minutes away. But, they're in the direction I go weekly at least for shopping, so I just meet them. So far they've all been on time. When buying, I'm usually going to their house. I just leave the kids in the car in the driveway and go up to the door.

Tinochka
08-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I sold and bought quite a bit stuff. Most of them, like 95% were at homes. If you are selling just strollers, you can close a garage door, pull out the stroller and let them see outside. As many noticed, most of the times ppl are late. If you are at home, it’ll not affect you. My fear about parking lot was that after all the time you’ll take, they might not show up. It’s CL after all.

arivecchi
08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
In the city, I usually met my buyers right in front of my house (sidewalk) for bigger items or a nearby park if it was easy to transport the item.

Now that I'm in the burbs, I do not really want people coming to my secluded home, so I just met a nice mom at the parking lot of my son's elementary school which is a 3 minute drive from my house. I would not go too far in case they don't show or are running really late.

okinawama
08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
9 out of 10 times the exchange is done at the sellers home, but I have met someone in the Walmart parking and the Staples parking lot.

brittone2
08-13-2012, 04:14 PM
I've had people come to my house before (I try to make sure it's on a Sat when there are lots of neighbors around) and I've also met up in store parking lots.
:yeahthat:

I use a grocery store parking lot, or sometimes meet them at a CVS that has a parking lot adjoining the grocery store (easier to find one another that way).

I have gone to houses and have had people come to my house, but I can totally understand why you would not want to.

I've actually had pretty good experiences with people running on time. I'm picky about who I agree to meet based off of the email communication, which probably narrows down the field. I'd say 85-90 percent of the time they've been on time or within 15 mins of that time.

trcy
08-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Busy parking lot