PDA

View Full Version : s/o Pros / Cons of an iPAD?

PMJ
08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
After doing some more research, it does not seem that many of the Tablets geared for Kids are really that successful. And since we are not going to give her any type of electronic device and say 'have fun' for a few hours...maybe it makes more sense for us to get a product that our entire family can use and DD can also use occasionally too.

It seems that many of you like your iPAD's and recommended that.

1) Which iPAD do you own?

2) Pros/cons of your specific model?

3) Ease of use for a Toddler?

thanks

kristac
08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I have the iPad2 (32g). I don't regret getting the 2 over the "New iPad" but I do wish I had splurged on the larger memory. With 3 kids and a mommy who loves to find new apps it is always full. My 2 year old uses it for speech therapy. (7 and 5 year olds play games on it as well.)

k_null81
08-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I have the iPad2 (32g). I don't regret getting the 2 over the "New iPad" but I do wish I had splurged on the larger memory. With 3 kids and a mommy who loves to find new apps it is always full. My 2 year old uses it for speech therapy. (7 and 5 year olds play games on it as well.)

Do you mind sharing what apps you are using for your 2 year old? Thank you!

brgnmom
08-13-2012, 11:58 AM

thanks

1. Ipad3 wifi with 32g of memory.

2. Love, love, love the model. I got the otter box defender cover for ours so that my newly turned 6 year old can use it.

3. I have downloaded some toddler apps, but my 21month old hasn't used the iPad on her own yet. It's not hard to use though.

larig
08-13-2012, 12:00 PM
1) we have 3--a 1, 2 and a 3. DS uses the 1 (it was originally DH's).

2) Unfortunately, they only sell the iPad 2 in one size and it's small. I'd say get at least a 32 gig model and if you're going to have media (movies, specifically) get a 64 gig. Because of that I'd recommend a 3. As far as whether or not you want a 4g model, well, that depends on where and how you plan to use them. We only have wifi models. There have been a few times we'd wished we'd had the 4g, but not often.

3) toddlers take to them very quickly. My kid at 2.5 could show many adults a thing or two on them.

k_null81
08-13-2012, 12:03 PM
I have the newest Ipad...which I believe is the 3. This is our first Ipad so can't really comment on the other models. Our twins that just turned 3 love playing on it...but they don't get daily play as I have to govern it since they are twins and they fight the whole time over it or constantly end up outside the app they were playing with multiple fingers are all over the device at one time...so we usually only play it when I have time to sit with them and make sure they take turns.

lhafer
08-13-2012, 12:34 PM
We have the original Ipad and the Ipad 3. When we got the Ipad 3, we made the original kid friendly for our girls to use (6 and 2.5) and turned all purchasing options off, no internet browswer, etc. There are apps and games on it, and they watch Netflix movies on it.

My 6 year old is a whiz at it, and my 2.5 year old can get to her shows and games on it without anyone ever even showing her how to do it.

wellyes
08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I have an original. It's awesome, I have zero complaints.

I do have an Otterbox Defender on it, and my 2 and 4 year old are allowed to play with it sometimes. There are a bunch of threads around here, search "apps for preschool" or "apps for toddlers" for tons of suggetions.

It doesn't have a lot of memory--- maybe 16 gb? But it's plenty. Apps do not take up space. The only reason you'd need a lot of memory is for media.... audiobooks, music, videos. I don't use my ipad that way, I just stream stuff from Netflix or Amazon, so I don't need memory. I have put a half-dozen kids shows plus Tangled (Disney movie) on it for a plane ride with DD and there was more than enough room. As long as you are syncing to a computer that holds your movies and music, rather than using the ipad for storage, you don't need much memory IMO.

egoldber
08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I just got a refurb 2. It has 32 GB and WiFi+3G. New 2s only come in 16 GB, which is not enough if you want to have a lot of videos.

codex57
08-13-2012, 01:34 PM
We have the iPad 3. The "new iPad".

In general, I'd recommend the iPad 2 with as much memory as your can afford. I don't think the new HD screen is really that necessary. The iPad 2's screen wasn't that bad to begin with, and because it had a less powerful screen, it didn't suck as much energy so the battery (and thus the whole iPad) was lighter.

Like egoldber, since the iPad 2's now only come in 16GB, I'd look for a refurb. Frankly, we're filling up our 64GB.

Penny's Pappa
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
My wife's employer provided her with a 16GB iPad 2.

16GB is too small. It's OK for some music and some apps, but add videos into the mix and your space runs out quickly. At a minimum I would get the 32GB if you can find one.

Well our 2.5 y/o can input the correct passcode to open it when locked, so, yeah, I'd say it's pretty easy to use! All joking aside, it's very intuitive. DD was able to learn how to use her apps (PBS Kids, Sesame Street eBooks, etc.) on her own very easily.

larig
08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
I have an original. It's awesome, I have zero complaints.

I do have an Otterbox Defender on it, and my 2 and 4 year old are allowed to play with it sometimes. There are a bunch of threads around here, search "apps for preschool" or "apps for toddlers" for tons of suggetions.

It doesn't have a lot of memory--- maybe 16 gb? But it's plenty. Apps do not take up space. The only reason you'd need a lot of memory is for media.... audiobooks, music, videos. I don't use my ipad that way, I just stream stuff from Netflix or Amazon, so I don't need memory. I have put a half-dozen kids shows plus Tangled (Disney movie) on it for a plane ride with DD and there was more than enough room. As long as you are syncing to a computer that holds your movies and music, rather than using the ipad for storage, you don't need much memory IMO.

I'd say it depends on the app. There are some for special needs kids that take up at least a gig, and a movie will take about a gig.

There is no way to augment the storage, so you're stuck with what you buy. Our most recent I made DH buy the 64 gig.

kristac
08-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Do you mind sharing what apps you are using for your 2 year old? Thank you!

My 2 year old has Childhood Apraxia of Speech- here is a list of what we use in speech therapy currently:
Tapikeo HD (LOVE!! this- fully customizable. I have put our Kaufman cards on it as well as other words we are working on)
Injini lite (full is on my wish list)
Furry Friend
Bigmouth Sounds
My First Words Flashcards
Cartoon ABC
Make A Scene Farmyard
Spilingos Language Universe
Speech with Milo Verbs
First Words International Pro
Language Lab Core Words
SmallTalk (Phonemes, Oral Motor, Blends, Letters)

kristac
08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
I'd say it depends on the app. There are some for special needs kids that take up at least a gig, and a movie will take about a gig.

There is no way to augment the storage, so you're stuck with what you buy. Our most recent I made DH buy the 64 gig.

Agree- If you have several kids at different levels or SN kids then the apps can take up a ton of space. I have over 20 gig of apps for my 3 kids (1 SN) currently on my 32 gig iPad and have to rotate them off regularly (though I am a bit of an app junkie so YMMV). I don't think anyone has ever said they regret the extra memory.

k_null81
08-14-2012, 01:59 PM
My 2 year old has Childhood Apraxia of Speech- here is a list of what we use in speech therapy currently:
Tapikeo HD (LOVE!! this- fully customizable. I have put our Kaufman cards on it as well as other words we are working on)
Injini lite (full is on my wish list)
Furry Friend
Bigmouth Sounds
My First Words Flashcards
Cartoon ABC
Make A Scene Farmyard
Spilingos Language Universe
Speech with Milo Verbs
First Words International Pro
Language Lab Core Words
SmallTalk (Phonemes, Oral Motor, Blends, Letters)

Thank you! My boys have a speech delay and I would love to have apps that are more geared towards speech.