PDA

View Full Version : Moms over 35...can we talk about cycle changes you've experienced?

jerseygirl07067
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM
I have noticed since about the age of 37 or so that my cycle has changed. It is the normal heavy flow for the first 2-3 days or so, then almost stops for a day or two, then I continue to have very light flow, decreasing to spotting up until ovulation. So essentially my cycle has become a lot longer.

I don't have any pain or cramping, and I am still very regular, about 28 days like clockwork. I do get a migraine the day before so I know it's coming and this is a new phenomenon too, maybe over the past 1-2 years.

So, does this seem normal as you age? I ask because my old OB told me changes like this are normal over 35, but never elaborated. Due to new insurance, I had to change OBs and went to one who specialized in perimenopausal issues (I'm 42) so I could learn more. I wasn't thrilled with the visit, I felt like she was getting way too ahead of herself, recommending tests and then saying, "Oh, you might need an ablation, or maybe it's a cyst, maybe it's this, or yada yada". She recommended an ultrasound. In fact, the whole visit I just felt like she kept recommending things and talking in circles.

So I'm receiving conflicting info, as she seemed to think what I was describing was not normal for my age, yet many of my same aged friends are experiencing many different variations of what I am describing. And my previous OB said these changes are normal.

So rather than launch a bunch of research on my own, I will ask here, as you are all always so informative! What, if any, changes have you been experiencing as you get older?

Edited to add - you can see below when all of my DDs birthdates are, I was 33, 35, and then 39 when I gave birth.

newnana
08-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Holy cats, yes. I thought it was just me and was actually considering calling to ask my OB because this is ridiculous.

For the last 5 months I have done this awfully uncool routine:
1. Think I start. Bleed fairly regular for 1 day.
2. Stop
3. 3-10 days later, start my period in earnest. And it lasts for freaking ever. Like 10 days- 2 weeks. My heavy day seems to be around day 5 now of the new second set of flow. This makes it impossible to plan.
4. but I'm still regular. so I'm bleeding for about half of every month. SO uncool.

I used to be every 28 days, heavy day day 2, 4-6 days.

Cramps are no worse, other symptoms no worse. only other thing is my boobs are crazy. all over the place in terms of size and sensitivity. I think I need to invest in 2 sets of bras- one for my normal B size and one for crazy swollen painful time.

I'm midway between 35-40 and this just started this year. I am not a fan.

egoldber
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
My cycle is now slightly longer and more erratic. (I used to be every 28 days like clockwork.) The first 2 days of my period are also much heavier than they used to be. I have to change almost hourly. But then it trickles to almost nothing after the second day, but lingers for almost a week. It used to be 5 days almost exactly.

mytwosons
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I started noticing changes at age 37 and was told by my dr perimenopause typically starts from 35-45 and can last 10 years.

In my case, I went from very regular 27 day cycles to cycles only lasting 19-21 days. Also heavier than usual. I also became extremely moody during certain times of the month.

wendibird22
08-13-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm 37. Noticed in the past 6-12mos that I spot for 1-2 days (either very faint pink or dark brown) about 5 days before AF. Nothing for those next 5 days. AF arrives as usual (though this month is was 27d instead of 28). Heaviest on days 1-2, then, egoldber, is barely noticeable yet still there for another 5 or so days.

maylips
08-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I turned 39 in May and had 2 cysts removed and an ablation done in the spring for the EXACT symptoms most of you are describing. I'm serious, my periods just never seemed to quit. They were never horrible in amount, but the length was terrible.

I had an ultrasound that didn't show much of anything other than two tiny dots. My OB thought those could be cysts but couldn't really tell from the US and suggested that if I'm paying to go under, I might as well have the ablation done as often the removal of the cysts won't cure the longevity of bleeding.

Since then....awesome. I still ovulate (although you are not a candidate if you still plan to have children) but my periods are MUCH lighter and shorter in length. I'm hoping this will hold me over until menopause.

daisysmom
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I had dd 5.5 years ago and I am 43 now. My cycle has changes since her, the. With a copper iud, and now with nothing. I think your changes sound perfectly normal and I have most of them too.

The migraine (I get one right after my period as well as ovulation time) has been the worst symptom for me but, knock on wood, every day taking of multivitamin, vitamin d, fish oil and magnesium has made them disappear for the last 3 months. The lady who works in the vitamin section of our whole foods is a saint in my opinion and this combo has really helped me!

My period comes about every 26 days (a few days sooner than when I was younger), has one really heavy day, and then has a long long tail end. I hate that I basically need to wear a tampon for 10 days. But my friends my age are also going through this. I am going to get a blood test at my next annual to see if that will show if I am in perimenapause but not going to worry more. It has motivated me though when a few people have confirmed how much harder it is to loose weight in menopause so to lose it now instead.

calv
08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
so wild that you posted about this. For roughly the last 4 months I get my regular period every 28-30 days. So it lasts about 5 days and then I spot for about another week. except this month I spoted for just over 2 weeks and due for my period next week. ANNOYING much? I freaked out a bit because 4 months of this seems off to me. If it makes any difference I use the diva cup. I doubt that has anything to do w/it.

so I just went to the dr. ob said not to be too alarmed because it's old blood, no pain, no pad needed or anything. can be just 1x a day or 4 times so yea not a lot but annoying to say the least. had thyroid test along w/the prolactin checked. both came back ok. also had an U/S done to check if it's structural like polyps or any types of cysts. I juts called today and only the preliminary came back. the dr has yet to review the films so who knows. I'm trying to stay calm. wonder if it's hormones or what?!?!

thoughts.

ETA: before any of my blood and U/S the dr said we'll rule out is it structual or hormonal. hence the 2 tests. I hate the thought of having to go through scraping or ablation. Ugggh! :(

AnnieW625
08-13-2012, 03:03 PM
My cycle is now slightly longer and more erratic. (I used to be every 28 days like clockwork.) The first 2 days of my period are also much heavier than they used to be. I have to change almost hourly. But then it trickles to almost nothing after the second day, but lingers for almost a week. It used to be 5 days almost exactly.

I am 35, and this is my cycle pretty much as well since having kids. The timing issue is still kind of funky. Pre BC (so 12-20) I would get it 28 days after it ended. When I was on BC (20-28, and 28-31) I would get it every 28 days like the pill said, and now from 33 to current I get it anywhere between every 28-31 days, sometimes I have actually gotten it less than every 28 days, like around 25. On a good day I am happy if I can go 2/1/2 hrs. without changing a super or super plus tampon.

Moneypenny
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Ugh. My period the last few years has been no fun (I just turned 41).

I used to have a 28-day cycle, moderately heavy on days 1 and 2, light for a couple more days, and then done. Maybe some mild cramps. Usually a migraine that was easily taken care of with Relpax.

I now have a 17-18 day cycle (!!!). Sometimes very heavy, sometimes light, sometimes very crampy, sometimes no cramps. The only consistent thing is the 17-18 days and a killer migraine for the first day or two that may or may not be helped by medication. I also now get a migraine when I ovulate so I feel like I have a migraine pretty much every week these days.

anonomom
08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
My actual periods are about the same as usual since having DS -- they're heavier but no longer or more widely spaced. But oh lord, the ovulation pain! I spend two days mid-cycle feeling like I'm being punched in an ovary. That had happened sporadically in my 20s, but since I got my cycle back 4 months ago, it's happened every month. I am not thrilled.

daisysmom
08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Ugh. My period the last few years has been no fun (I just turned 41).

I used to have a 28-day cycle, moderately heavy on days 1 and 2, light for a couple more days, and then done. Maybe some mild cramps. Usually a migraine that was easily taken care of with Relpax.

I now have a 17-18 day cycle (!!!). Sometimes very heavy, sometimes light, sometimes very crampy, sometimes no cramps. The only consistent thing is the 17-18 days and a killer migraine for the first day or two that may or may not be helped by medication. I also now get a migraine when I ovulate so I feel like I have a migraine pretty much every week these days.

That was me for the last 5 years (pretty much every month since I had dd). The magnesium has really worked wonders. I tried it a couple of years ago but didn't stick with it every day. Then I read more people rave about it so went to whole foods bc they have mini pills (smaller size). I had a dull ache the first month but not a full blown migraine and it went away with no medicine. Seriously, I wish I had been more vigilant and saved myself a lot of hormonal headaches years ago!

Moneypenny
08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
That was me for the last 5 years (pretty much every month since I had dd). The magnesium has really worked wonders. I tried it a couple of years ago but didn't stick with it every day. Then I read more people rave about it so went to whole foods bc they have mini pills (smaller size). I had a dull ache the first month but not a full blown migraine and it went away with no medicine. Seriously, I wish I had been more vigilant and saved myself a lot of hormonal headaches years ago!

Ohhhh, talk to me about this. I will do anything. A quick google indicates a daily dose of 400-500mg. Is that what you take?

daisysmom
08-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Ohhhh, talk to me about this. I will do anything. A quick google indicates a daily dose of 400-500mg. Is that what you take?

It has really helped. I take 300 a day which is one pretty small capsule I got a wf's. She said I may want to take 2 but one has done it. I also take fish oil and started that at e same time, but I think it is the magnesium. It has been so incredible not getting one of those darn headaches every couple of weeks. I have been vigilant about taking them every day, as when I tried once before I took them for a week but then got s headache. I think you need to build up a reserve so to speak and the. Be vigilant. Wf's also had a drink called calm I think that is a magnesium fizzy drink. I bought it too and the lady told me to take it when I felt like a headache was close at bay. I did that one day and went to bed. Not sure why but it went away. I was pretty much taking exec run migraine for 3 days every two weeks before and they were not effective anymore.

jayali
08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
So I feel like the elder statesman on this topic.

I am 49, soon to be 50, and I had my son at 41.

My period was NEVER regular until I had DS. Then I became better, but with a longer 40 - 45 day cycle. Horrible Horrible cramps the first two days.

At 47ish my period started coming every 28 days! Holy smokes what a nightmare having it monthly, but better to be regular, I guess.

Horrible migraine the day before, heavy flow on the first two days, almost nothing on days 3-5, light spotting days 6 and 7 then done.

I have a great GYN - she is only GYN, not OB. She has a private practice and is a few years older then me. When all of this started to happen she sent me for a sonigram to rule out cysts and other potential ugly things. Although she assured me she thought is was hormonal she wanted to be really sure. She was right. Just the normal changing of the hormones.

Now I take AZO PMS, which is really just heavy doses of vitamins, the two weeks leading up to my period. It has made all difference in the world! No more cramps, no more headaches, hot flashes under control as well as mood swings. Flow is about the same, but I feel so much better.

I need to go back for another sonigram so she can check the thickness of the lining in the next few months. She just wants to monitor to see if things are progressing toward D&C, but it is just precautionary.

I would make sure that your GYN rules out anything that needs to be addressed, cysts, whatever. I think there is a blood test where they can tell, by hormone levels, if you are officially in perimenopause, but I feel so much better I don't really care!

kbud
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I am 42 but probably not the norm. I've always had cycle issues. Since I was around 20 I've pretty much always had my period. It would never stop for more than a few days to a week or 2 and start again. It would usually be light. They ran a bunch if tests and all were normal so I was put on the pill to regulate. I went off the pill my mid 20's and the my period never started. After 6 months of waiting they gave me something to start it and well it started but didn't stop again do back on pill. Amazingly the 2 times we ttc I was pretty much regular and got pregnant right away. I had my kids at 33 and 37. My dh had a vesectomy but once again my period never stopped so I went back on pill the regulate me. Ugh, then I had high blood pressure that was related to the pill so they took me off the pill last Dec. Had period in Jan but not since then. I did have it for about 3 hours in July but stopped.

Wow, after typing it all out I realize what a mess I am;). All tests come back fine. I really don't care if I don't have it. It's the all the time stuff that is hard. I suppose I should get a dr appt sometime about it.

Moneypenny
08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
It has really helped. I take 300 a day which is one pretty small capsule I got a wf's. She said I may want to take 2 but one has done it. I also take fish oil and started that at e same time, but I think it is the magnesium. It has been so incredible not getting one of those darn headaches every couple of weeks. I have been vigilant about taking them every day, as when I tried once before I took them for a week but then got s headache. I think you need to build up a reserve so to speak and the. Be vigilant. Wf's also had a drink called calm I think that is a magnesium fizzy drink. I bought it too and the lady told me to take it when I felt like a headache was close at bay. I did that one day and went to bed. Not sure why but it went away. I was pretty much taking exec run migraine for 3 days every two weeks before and they were not effective anymore.

Thank you! I'm going to stop at Whole Foods on my way home tonight.

nfowife
08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
I just turned 35 but since having DD2 I've noticed my cycles are getting ever so slightly shorter each month, by like a day or 2. So they are about 26 days apart right now. I also notice that I start getting "fertile" CM on like day 7-8 whereas I used to get it on day 13 or 14, back when I was charting to get pg with my older kids. I feel like I just wish it would all go away now that I'm done having babies and have no use for the inconvenience again. Only ~20 more years of it left, right??!

daisysmom
08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
I feel like I just wish it would all go away now that I'm done having babies and have no use for the inconvenience again. Only ~20 more years of it left, right??!

I used to think like this too, just ready to be done with it all. But the more I read about how hard it is to maintain weight after menapause, and the increases in risks for so many diseases after menapause, I think I would rather be dealing with a shorter cycle! My friends who have gone through the change recently (in their late 40s) are all pretty miserable with hot flashes and irritability, and all of them have gained 10-20 lbs. And the breast cancer risk is just magnified.

hellokitty
08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm relieved to see this thread. I'm 39 and after having DS2, 7 yrs ago, the first thing I started to notice was a change in my PMS symptoms. They mimicked pregnancy symptoms. It took me almost a yr of freaking out almost every cycle, before realizing that my PMS was just different now.

I never ended up posting about this, but three months ago AF was 2 wks late. I was freaking out. My cycles are usually 28 days long, maybe a day or two off here and there, but I have always been very regular. I actually went to the doctor, b/c hpt was negative (and dh has a vasectomy, but I had weird symptoms that felt like pregnancy symptoms), he ran a slew of test, blood pregnancy test was negative (thank goodness), thyroid and other testing came back normal too. I told my PCP that I thought I was in perimenopause, and he laughed and said that I was too young for it. With all my other labs coming back normal, I think that I really AM in perimenopause and my PCP just has no clue. So, last month AF was normal again, but this month AF showed up a wk early AND super heavy and crampy, along with a 3 day killer headache prior to showing up (as soon as AF arrived, headache went away, it was weird). I'm noticing more severe headaches now, they are probably migraines, I've had really bad headaches before, but never been to a doctor to get it diagnosed, since they come and go. If this is perimenopause, I am hating it and would prefer that menopause just come sooner than later. I'm finished having babies, I've always had horrible AFs my entire life, I'm just sick of dealing with this, esp now that I no longer need to be fertile. I feel like every month is a total mystery. Will AF be on time, early or late? Will I have to wear black bottoms forever until menopause hits, since AF just does whatever it wants to do? This is tmi, but AF hit so heavy this month, I actually thought I had peed myself or something and the worst part was that I was at a playdate at the park, talking to one of DS2's friend's DAD... thank goodness I was wearing black shorts! My first day is usually spotting and then days 2-3 are really heavy, but it looks like things are changing again.

Thanks to the pp with the magnesium suggestion, I will have to try that.

jerseygirl07067
08-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks everyone! So it's not just me. My OB did recommend an ultrasound to be sure everything was okay, so I'm getting that done. Everyone I know irl has expressed similar stories too. :)

denise00
09-18-2012, 05:16 AM
No doubt cycling,swimming,physical work outs are quite beneficiary for our health and fitness.My cycle is now slightly longer and more erratic. (I used to be every 28 days like clockwork.) The first 2 days of my period are also much heavier than they used to be. I have to change almost hourly. But then it trickles to almost nothing after the second day, but lingers for almost a week. It used to be 5 days almost exactly.

123LuckyMom
09-18-2012, 06:27 AM
This is such a helpful thread!!! I'm still waiting to resume my cycle after DD's birth. My weirdness started at 35ish, too. I had had terrible mood reactions to the pill when I was a young woman and went off it, but at 34, I went back on. I had a horrible reaction again so went off, and ever since then have had a totally whacked out cycle! Before BC I was regular at 28 days with AF heavy for the first 2 days and then lasting 1-3 days longer at light flow. Pretty much no cramps or other symptoms. After BC, I had cycles varying in length from 28-40+ days, AF heavy and lasting for 7+ days, bad cramps and mood swings. I also had mood swings at ovulation, so I was pretty moody!!! I blamed it on the pill whacking out my system, but maybe it was just age! Even a D&C after miscarriage at 35 didn't reset things. I had DS at 37 (conceived at 36) and DD at 41 (conceived at 40). I guess we'll see what the future holds.

wendibird22
09-18-2012, 08:42 AM
I had my annual GYN visit last week. I mentioned my shortening cycles now being 27 days with the follicular phase (p to ov) only being 11 days (was always 14 days). She said she only gets concerned if a cycle is shorter than 21 days, much much heavier or much much longer than is usual for a patient. Since mine are actually getting shorter and lighter, then she said no need to be concerned.

I'm actually contemplating going back on BC pill (had a bad experience with Mirena, done having kids, but not ready for V yet) so it'll be interesting to see what happens with my cycle with extra hormones.

fedoragirl
09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I had to reference back to this thread because I started my periods after DS was born (11 months) , and they are heavy but most of all, I have swelling in my ankles, extreme mood swings, irritable, tired....just plain icky. I really hope this is not how every single month will be. Is this an age issue, or an after childbirth/breastfeeding issue? Or both? I don't recall my periods making me feel so volatile when they returned after DD's birth.