PDA

View Full Version : Stroller advice for friends needed....

new_mom_mry
08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
I have posted here before asking for stroller advice for our friends. They have a 2 year old and a baby due very, very soon. The wife hates their current stroller that they have used with their son and it's not suitable for a newborn. The wife is dead set on having a stroller with a bassinet to use with this baby after using a car seat plus current stroller when their son was a baby and hating that experience. The husband is very concerned about money right now, so all he wants is to spend as little as possible. I have initially advised them to get a B Ready as part of the Free Ride Event that just passed. They didn't, although we did. Yesterday we got to try out the B Ready with our boy and their boy who are similar in age. Basically, whichever boy got the bottom seat, hated it, so we ended up talking two strollers for our walk. Then we discovered that the B Ready with both seats will not fit in their trunk (I think they have a Nissan Altima??) It's ok, they weren't super in love with it anyway, knowing they would also need to buy a bassinet to satisfy the wife's main goal. Back to the drawing board! Sorry this is getting long.

At this point, since the budget is limited from the husband's perspective, I suggested that they get a single with a bassinet option (possibly used on Craigslist?). She will get a ton of use out of it because the toddler will be in daycare all day and she will be with a baby in their beautiful residential, walkable neighborhood. THEN they could acquire a side by side double down the line, that will will be excellent for car trips and neighborhood walks...e.g., BJCMD. They don't care if it has air tires or not. For the time being, they will put the baby in the single with the bassinet, and the husband says he is more than willing to push the toddler in their current stroller.

To cut to the chase, what singles with bassinets that they could find on Craigslist for relatively cheap (maybe $200 and under?) should I suggest?? All I could think of was maybe the First Years Wave?? I doubt they could find a Vista or a complete Bugaboo for that little...anything else??

Also, anyone know if the 2010 Indie bassinet will fit older Indies?? I saw a ton of 2008s on their Craigslist, and we could give them our 2010 bassinet that we never actually used with our boy anyway.

Thanks everyone for reading and any tips! :)

LivsMum
08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Tell her to look for a mountain buggy urban single and carry cot.

roseyloxs
08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I believe they changed the bumbleride carrycot in 2011 so I think the 2010 would potentially fit a 2008. Maybe you could loan her the carrycot and she could check out one of the 2008s on CL and see if it fits?

Not sure what luck you will have with CL and a bassinet. Even if you find a cheap MBUS you will have to find a carrycot/bassinet for it which might not be cheap. I would just keep searching CL for carrycot/bassinet and see what pops up. She might get some random European stroller, those tend to go pretty cheap since no one knows what they are.

new_mom_mry
08-13-2012, 02:55 PM
I believe they changed the bumbleride carrycot in 2011 so I think the 2010 would potentially fit a 2008. Maybe you could loan her the carrycot and she could check out one of the 2008s on CL and see if it fits?

Not sure what luck you will have with CL and a bassinet. Even if you find a cheap MBUS you will have to find a carrycot/bassinet for it which might not be cheap. I would just keep searching CL for carrycot/bassinet and see what pops up. She might get some random European stroller, those tend to go pretty cheap since no one knows what they are.

Thank you for the suggestions! Pretty sure they changed the carrycot design in 2010, because ours has a canopy and the older models didn't! This is what ours looks like:

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Lifestyle/Bumbleride-Carrycot-Spice/0812812010326

So it sounds like she would need a Bumbleride Indie from 2010 and up to use it with our carrycot, or maybe a Flyer?! She doesn't seem to care TOO much about air tires, though the Indie will give her a much much better push of course...

roseyloxs
08-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Thank you for the suggestions! Pretty sure they changed the carrycot design in 2010, because ours has a canopy and the older models didn't! This is what ours looks like:

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Lifestyle/Bumbleride-Carrycot-Spice/0812812010326

So it sounds like she would need a Bumbleride Indie from 2010 and up to use it with our carrycot, or maybe a Flyer?! She doesn't seem to care TOO much about air tires, though the Indie will give her a much much better push of course...

Yes they added the canopy but they changed it again in 2011 to a rigid click-in design to make it even safer which is what made it incompatible with pre-2011 strollers. So I think your 2010 could fit. I know it would fit on an '09 and '10 but there was a slight frame change between '08 and '09 which is why I would test it out before buying.

I had a used '08 and I liked it a lot. The handlebar was a little loose and it annoyed me enough that I sold it. However the '08 had a one handed bar recline which I LOVED. It does add one step to the fold but was so worth it IMHO. The canopy was still pretty good too despite not being nearly as large as the '09 or '10/'12 models.

new_mom_mry
08-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Yes they added the canopy but they changed it again in 2011 to a rigid click-in design to make it even safer which is what made it incompatible with pre-2011 strollers. So I think your 2010 could fit. I know it would fit on an '09 and '10 but there was a slight frame change between '08 and '09 which is why I would test it out before buying.

I had a used '08 and I liked it a lot. The handlebar was a little loose and it annoyed me enough that I sold it. However the '08 had a one handed bar recline which I LOVED. It does add one step to the fold but was so worth it IMHO. The canopy was still pretty good too despite not being nearly as large as the '09 or '10/'12 models.

thanks! So in essence, a 2010 carrycot will then fit all 2009 and 2010s for sure, but won't fit on 2011+ models? I will tell them to keep an eye out for a 2009 or 2008 Indie or I might continue looking on their Craigslist for one for them, since they have so much going on right now in their lives. I sold my 2010 Indie right before buying our B-Ready else I would lend it to them....I also see a bunch of Bugs on their CL (Frogs, Cams...) for as little as $275. Might be an option for them as well.

roseyloxs
08-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Actually the 2010 will fit the 2011. Check out this thread which is all about the bumbleride carrycots: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=395942&highlight=2011+carrycot

Bumbleride
08-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi new_mom_mry!

I can confirm the 2009/10 Carrycots are compatible with all 2009-2012 models of Indie, Indie Twin, Flyer and Flite.

Hope that info helps!

Ryan

P.S. Thanks roseyloxs for sharing the 09/10 info and link :)!