PDA

View Full Version : 4-year-old complaining about black spots in vision?

sarahsthreads
08-13-2012, 01:56 PM
This is the second time DD2 has complained that she was seeing black spots "coming out her eyes" when we were out taking a walk. She definitely doesn't handle heat as well as DD1 (but neither do I, so we don't go for long walks on super hot days) and tends to get flushed and clammy/sweaty very quickly when we're outdoors in the summer.

I tried to get more out of her (trying to assess whether she was dizzy or if her head hurt, etc.) but she's newly 4, so of course it's hard to know. Today I wound up carrying all 37.2 pounds of her back to the car (which was not all that nearby) and making her drink some water from the cooler. (We were going for a walk after having had a picnic.) She seems fine now.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or...? She recently had her 4 year checkup and all was well; she's never had a full eye appointment, but has passed all of the vision screenings that the pediatrician does.

Thanks!
Sarah :)

MMMommy
08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
If she has black "floaters," I would call and make an appointment with the eye doctor to be safe. I myself am extremely nearsighted and occasionally have black "floaters." They look like gnats or black specks in my peripheral vision and pop up every now and then. I'm always told by my eye doctor to call and make an appointment whenever I see black floaters. I would schedule a full eye exam for her as a precautionary measure.

http://www.retinamd.com/floaters-in-eye.asp

Binkandabee
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I agree with the PP, make an appointment with an eye doctor for a full exam. Any changes in vision should never be ignored, IMO. It could be nothing, but it could be very serious. I had a detached retina 6 weeks ago, had surgery to correct and I'm still recovering from it. Fortunately I caught it very, very early. The one piece of advice my Dr. gave was never ignore floaters, flashes or any change in vision.

llama8
08-13-2012, 02:20 PM
This is the second time DD2 has complained that she was seeing black spots "coming out her eyes" when we were out taking a walk. She definitely doesn't handle heat as well as DD1 (but neither do I, so we don't go for long walks on super hot days) and tends to get flushed and clammy/sweaty very quickly when we're outdoors in the summer.

I tried to get more out of her (trying to assess whether she was dizzy or if her head hurt, etc.) but she's newly 4, so of course it's hard to know. Today I wound up carrying all 37.2 pounds of her back to the car (which was not all that nearby) and making her drink some water from the cooler. (We were going for a walk after having had a picnic.) She seems fine now.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or...? She recently had her 4 year checkup and all was well; she's never had a full eye appointment, but has passed all of the vision screenings that the pediatrician does.

Thanks!
Sarah :)

Have her see an opthamologist. It should be covered by medical insurance and much better to be safe than sorry.