PDA

View Full Version : DD's blood draw (traumatic) experience - help please!

HonoluluMom
08-13-2012, 03:27 PM
DD went in for a checkup recently and she got 2 shots (she cried, but recovered fairly quickly). We then had to go to a lab in the same building for a blood draw. We had to wait in the waiting room and when we were called, I told her she needs one more shot and we'll have cookies after. She started BAWLING! The tech told me to have her sit in my lap, hold my leg over her legs and my arm over her free arm. She FOUGHT it and kept BAWLING and SCREEEEAAMING!

The tech said "I don't do a lot of kids" :6: He couldn't find a vein in one arm and started to check the other. I asked him if he could do the draw. He said "yes." Well, after a few more agonizing minutes, I asked him if it would be better if we go to the children's hospital. He then said yes, DD is fighting too much and the children's hospital may be better. Thanks, as$wipe! :32:

Now, DD knows she has to get another shot. I decided I'll do it another day. We went home and talked about getting shots. I told DD that I don't like shots, but I do it because it's for my health and yes, it'll probably be a little sore, but it's over relatively quickly. We practiced with her doctor kit - looking away, closing eyes, bringing a toy to hold, sitting very still. She seemed fine with the concept.

I'm going to take her to the children's hospital in the next day or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're the "experts" since they deal with kids and will know how to handle DD.

Any tips? I know Elektra had a thread recently, but given DD's (hopefully not) traumatic experience, I'd like any additional tips or reassurances!

elektra
08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Hopefully more people chime in too! Hugs!
I do think we lucked out and the tech we had seemed experienced with kids as she corrected me when I was holding DD's arm in a way that was going to allow her to get the proper angle or whatever. I do think it really helped to have 3 adults. In our case, both DH and I were there but I was just talking to my cousin yesterday and she was saying that when she took her DS, they had an additional nurse help to restrain him. So they might have another nurse around to help if you have to take your DD by yourself.

In the end, what seemed to help DD was knowing that the worst part was everything leading up to the prick. She calmed way down once the needle was in and she realized that I was right in that that part really didn't hurt much.

We also practiced a lot beforehand too.

Good luck!

MamaInMarch
08-13-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't remember where I heard it, but I recall that blowing bubbles can be a help. It helps them control their breath (part of relaxing) and I seem to remember also talking to them about kind of visualizing floating with the bubble and such.... Maybe practice some at home first?

icunurse
08-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Having worked in pediatrics and also having two kids who have had shots and blood draws, the only I can give you is to not make too much out of it and don't think that your dd's scarred for life based on this. She is 3. Most kids, especially those who don't have draws done on a regular basis, will scream. And kick. And cry. Just hold her still, as even the best phlebotomist needs some sort of steadiness. If you don't feel like you can hold her, then ask someone else to do it. She will grow out of it as she gets older, but right now, there probably isn't enough justification about why she needs it done to make a three year old put on a cooperative face. Sometimes you just have to wait until it is over to make it better with colorful bandaids and a lollipop.

newnana
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I think the children's hospital itself will be the best fix for this. The problem is the bad experience she has already had and they will be well versed in how to handle that. It might worth asking about EMLA cream before hand, but that can also make a harder stick. Here's an old thread on that:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=326602&highlight=emla

And butterfly needles because they are much smaller, but I would bet they already had that in the plan.

Our experience with an IV at the local children's ER was excellent. They had an iPAD with apps by age group to distract the kiddos while the procedure was done so DD didn't mind at all. All the difference in the world and my kiddo fights shots.

Another old thread that might be useful:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=336268&highlight=emla

good luck! :heartbeat:

joonbug
08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
DD had a recent blood draw at her 3 yo check up. It took 2 nurses and me to hold her steady - she sat on my lap and nurse helped distract her as well as hold down. The whole thing didnt take 10 sec, and the biggest deal was the gauze with band aid over it! Once it was off, DD calmed down right away.

Mermanaid
08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
The children's hospital should be experienced -- but bear in mind that some children are just hard to do a blood draw on and some nurses are better at the draw than others. We've had good and bad at the hospital.

My rule of thumb is if they can't get it on the first stick then someone else needs to do the draw. I also don't tolerate them putting the needle in and poking it around for more than 10 seconds or so. If that happens I ask if we can stop and bring someone else in. From my experience (and lots with kids blood draws) most places have a rule like this. Of course, everywhere is different.

I've never used this product but have heard WONDERFUL things about it. You may look into it. http://www.buzzy4shots.com/

Good luck!

niccig
08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
I've learned to ask for someone who has experience with kids. One lab when I called to set up a time told me to come when a certain staff member was there as he was the best with kids. I was holding DS they way you were, another staff member was holding his arm, while the experienced staff member did the draw. So yes, 3 people are needed.

megs4413
08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
my DS has had blood work oodles of time and I swear, he does not get better at it! He was much better about it at 2 than he is now at 5! Bring extra adults, a huge reward (bigger than cookies!), and make sure you don't act scared/upset/worried/like it's a big deal. She will take her cues from you at this age. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that you just have to get through. HUGS! I know it sucks for everyone involved! Traumatic even for Mommy!

gatorsmom
08-13-2012, 08:05 PM
I've tried everything. I've tried warning them ahead of time and being honest that it might hurt a little, while explaining how important it is. I've tried just telling them the day of, and I've tried not warning them at all that they will get a shot.

I am a bit to ashamed to say it but I think it is best and easiest for them not to warn them ahead. The twins had to have their Kindergarten shots last year and I never told them ahead of time. The nurses were awesome! They took Sisi out of the room while another nurse had a toy and candy ready. Greenbean was very interested in what she was doing because he had no idea it would hurt. After he got his shots, Sisi came in and did the same thing. They both cried afterwards and were upset but then I promised to take them to the park they love and the tears ended. No big deal.

That experience was in HUGE contrast to how I handled it with Gator. I warned that he might have to have his Kindergarten shots a month ahead. I said it casually and told him it wouldn't hurt that much, it's over quickly and he'd forget about it soon after. He asked me daily before it happened if it would hurt. The day of he screamed and said he didn't want to go. I gently reminded him it wasn't more painful than a pinch and how everyone gets one and then gets a little treat afterwards. But at the appointment he begged, tantrumed and even tried to hide from me in the doctor's office. I was so heart broken for him it made me cry. I think over time he had built up in his mind how terrible it was going to be. I only told Charlie a few days in advance but those 2 days were torture for him.

I think the best response I got was from the twins because they were so surprised but the second best response I got was one day DH and I made an appointment for all 4 kids appointments. Before the appointment we took them to the store and told them to each pick out 2 bags of candy to share with each other and the nurses. When it was time for their vaccinations, we opened the candy bags and told the to pick out the pieces they wanted. They all cried but it was very short lived because they were preoccupied with their candy. We and the nurses had turned the experience into a sort of vaccination party.