PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your favorite backpack

ChefGirl
08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
DD is starting first grade at a new school in a few weeks. She has a Lands End Classmate backpack with match lunchbox last year. Unfortunately both side pockets for bottle all got big'ol holes in them. I am washing it today to see if she wants to use it again this year. I just don't want to get another new backpack. I ddint' like any patterns from Landsend, and the one I like from LL Bean's is $39 b/f monogram. Yikes.

Anyone has any good suggestions for a first grade backpack? thanks.

Kindra178
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Did you see the girl colored sale Critter Pack at LLB? DS1 will be using a new red Critter for first grade. It seems to address all the problems DS1 had with his Study Haul last year.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70468?feat=critter%20pack-SR0&page=critter-pack&attrValue_0=Lake/Hibiscus&productId=1102216

AnnieW625
08-13-2012, 05:32 PM
DD1 is using her Lands End Study Haul again this year. If I had to buy new I'd probably buy an LL Bean original, Kelty, or a Pottery Barn Kids ones, but would push for the LLB or a Kelty because of the solid colors that one won't get tired or want to change every year. I had a Kelty backpack from about the 3rd grade until the 7th grade and only stopped using it because I wanted an Esprit book bag instead. Friends of mine had LLB packs that lasted through jr. high and they got them in elementary school. I liked their red, pink, and purple ones more than my boring blue Kelty.:shake:

With all of that said my favorite backpack for me is my Eddie Bauer Campus pack, I think that is what is was called that I got in 1996. They don't make mine anymore, and it would be too big for a first grader, but this one looks similar in style to the old LE Study Haul, and might work for the time being until you can return your other one to LE for a suitable replacement.

Eddie Bauer Kids Trailhead backpack (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=40223&&categoryId=24451&categoryName=BACKPACKS--MESSENGERS&pCategoryId=5&pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=24451~~categoryName=BACKPACKS--MESSENGERS~~pCategoryId=5~~pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1) (I remember looking last year for kids backpacks from EB and I don't remember seeing this one, but definitely would have considered this one).

fauve01
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
My 8yoDD (going into 3rd) loves her Feather Light backpack from Lands End.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/kids-solid-featherlight-medium-backpack~239691_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::F76&CM_MERCH=search-_-featherlight+&origin=search

the part that she likes the best is the clip about chest level that clips the two straps together. Also she likes the mesh packet in front (super convenient to shove in whatever small thing she has in her hands or prize she got at school or flowers or whatever) and we like the mesh water bottle pockets. We never actually put the water bottle in there, but also used them for small whatever things.

i see it comes in medium and large sizes, and tons of colors. dd is getting the silvery and purple one with turquoise trim. her old one is purple gingham. If you put "featherlight" in the search box, you can see all the colors available.

we got DD a feather light backpack two years ago when she was going into first grade. it lasted GREAT. the only wear is along the mesh pockets, the elastic along the top part got a bit stretched out.

DD told me she'd like a new backpack this year, but if we couldn't find the same type of backpack (with the clip) she'd just use the same one as before.

HTH,
a + dd 10-03

Nooknookmom
08-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Rosy and O'neil hold up well...esp the Roxy's, DD 1 always used hers more than one year! However, I got DD a Gap bag at the outlet..I don't expect it to last too long tho. wanted to look at the Hanna's but got other one while out of town.

KpbS
08-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Love the LL Bean Critter. Perfect size and they are tough as nails. Also you can't beat the LL Bean guarantee.

Twoboos
08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Our LLBean ones have worn like iron, no rips, tears, nothing.

The LandsEnd on DD2 had last year ripped along the seam, and the zipper was constantly snagged. I returned it and they credited me. I had purchased on super-clearance sale so they didn't want to replace, which was fine with me. We got our $10 worth. ;)

This year DD2 has a Garnet Hill one - we'll see how that holds up.

I saw some PBTeen ones yesterday, they actually seems to be good quality. I'll probably look at those the next time we need backpacks. Although I'll try to steer them toward LLBean!

SunCB
08-14-2012, 09:14 AM
My kids have LLBean bags for school. I still have my 2 EASTPAK and DH 1. My green 1 was sent in once bc a seamed busted yrs ago and they fixed it and this 1 was from high school I think. My 2nd 1 is from college and not had any trouble. Not sure how old DH's is but he probably got it around the time I got my college 1 as that is when he was in business school for MBA.

hellokitty
08-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Another LL BEAN fan. We have the jr classic and little. Ritter backpacks and they still look brand new after yrs of abuse.

KDsMommy
08-14-2012, 04:06 PM
DS has a Garnet Hill backpack that was used for 2 years and still looks new. This year he starts K and will use a LE Study Haul with matching lunchbox that I got on super clearance last December.

MamaKath
08-16-2012, 01:24 AM
DD's favorite is the High Sierra one from Costco last year. DS loves his LLB Jr. Original for activity stuff, etc. I like the comfort of an old LE one I have (discontinued), however all the mesh on the outside has holes and is ripped up. It also does not hold all my books and supplies, I use it mainly for outings now. My LLB Original Deluxe Original has held up fantastically, wears like iron and holds all my books and stuff.

DH and Ds have worn out Eastpak ones; they did not hold up to regular washings that come along with boys of all ages using them. Dh has now also nearly worn out a Jansport pack as well. I am watching for a boyish version of LLB Original Deluxe for each of them to go on clearance. I was holding out for a trip to the outlet, only to find out they closed it. :(

MMMommy
08-16-2012, 01:29 AM
DD's favorite is the High Sierra one from Costco last year.

:yeahthat:

DD1 uses the multicolor (pinks and grays) High Sierra Costco one from last year, and I love that one. It is spacious, durable, and has just the right number of pockets. I think this year's version at Costco is a laptop backpack (or something like that), and I didn't care for it as much as the old style.