PDA

View Full Version : How do you "move in" with DC in tow?

WatchingThemGrow
08-13-2012, 04:51 PM
We are moving into a temporary rental in 1.5 days. We'll be juggling childcare for the 3 DC during the afternoon hours. Of course, this is all pending the landlord can get a cleaning service to come that morning, and that the enclosed porch doesn't smell mildewy once the old junk is removed. I'll be able to tell the night before. She said there were some old rugs behind the old boxes, and all that should be coming out tonight.

Anyway, I know you've said to set up the DCs' rooms first. We'll be moving some furniture from one room to another (it is a furnished rental) to accomodate our family's needs. I'm hoping to dig through storage in the morning and find our sheets, etc. What else do I concentrate on the first day? The ILs are going to take us out to a quick dinner, they say.

o_mom
08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Beds and sheets for everyone, first priority.

TV - second priority for me. Once that is up and running, I could have some peace to unpack.

If you have a room that will be a playroom eventually, don't worry about furniture and just find a few boxes of toys to open in there.

Kitchen would probably be next priority after day 1. For move-in day/next day, we planned paper plates and take-out/no cook options for all meals.

acmom
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM

TV - second priority for me. Once that is up and running, I could have some peace to unpack.

If you have a room that will be a playroom eventually, don't worry about furniture and just find a few boxes of toys to open in there.

Kitchen would probably be next priority after day 1. For move-in day/next day, we planned paper plates and take-out/no cook options for all meals.

:yeahthat: I would say a very similar sequence. We did our kids rooms 1st (at least enough stuff to sleep and feel somewhat like home with favorite loveys, blankets, toys, etc.). We found a few boxes of toys and set up a makeshift play area where they could play while we got settled. Then we did the kitchen. And we did at least a few meals/days of takeout, eating out or very easy food with paper plates so we could concentrate on unpacking. We didn't do TV right away bc cable guy couldn't come for a while and we were getting a new TV. We used some DVDs on a laptop when we needed them while we waited for cable/TV.

Good luck - it is a stressful time, but will feel so much better once you start to get settled!

crl
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM

I agree. Kids rooms first. Next a place for adults to sleep. Then television. Then kitchen.

Catherine

amldaley
08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
No advice b/c we are STILL moving in and we must have done EVERYTHING wrong but I wanted to send my best wishes to you that it goes well! I am glad for you that things are moving along :hug5:

MamaMolly
08-14-2012, 08:56 AM

This is how we do it, too. DVD if the tv isn't hooked up.