PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to switch to toddler bed ?

babyfiorina1
08-13-2012, 07:09 PM
21-month-old DD's still sleeping in her crib and always sleeps at one corner of the crib (it's like her comfort place to be inside the crib). She always wait for us to pick her up from the crib when she wakes up in the morning and from the nap. We haven't noticed any attempts so far to climb out from the crib. I was told to keep her in the crib as long as she fits in there and never attempts to climb out from the crib. When will you transition to toddler bed ?

daniele_ut
08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
We moved DS out of his crib at 3 and only because we were going to need it a few months after that for DD. We wanted there to be enough time between moving him and DD's birth that he didn't feel like she was displacing him. We moved DD out of her crib at around the same age, maybe a hair sooner. If she's not climbing out, I wouldn't change a thing!

Mrs.Skeeter
08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
It sounds like your kiddo is happy in the crib. If you aren't wanting to move her then don't. On the other hand, if you are wanting to give the toddler bed a try, then go for it. There isn't anything that says you can't go back to the crib if the toddler bed isn't working out.

We tried (and failed) to transition to a toddler bed at around 20 months because my monkey child kept climbing/falling out. If he had been content I would have left him until we seriously started potty training or until we needed the crib for another baby.

jammytoast
08-13-2012, 07:18 PM
No way. In my book, kid climbing out or need for crib to be passed along are the only reasons to move.

Not to be sarcastic, but why would you do this now? She seems happy and quiet!!!

acmom
08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
No way. In my book, kid climbing out or need for crib to be passed along are the only reasons to move.

Not to be sarcastic, but why would you do this now? She seems happy and quiet!!!

:yeahthat: I wouldn't mess with it unless there was a reason to, especially at that age.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-13-2012, 09:49 PM

:yeahthat:

DS is 2.5 and happy in his crib, no attempts to climb out, yet. he sleeps solid 11 hours straight at night, and 2-3 hours nap. Why would I mess with that?? :) As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In my case, i will only move DS out of his crib if he starts trying to climb out of it, and then in that case it's a safety issue. I'm guessing it will be around age 3, maybe a little before.

twowhat?
08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
She sleeps well, she's not climbing out, please don't change anything! LOL:)

crl
08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Leave that kid in the crib! For sure. My dd is 28 months and until she climbs out or physically doesn't fit, she is staying in the crib.

Catherine

GoBlue
08-13-2012, 09:53 PM

:yeahthat:

joonbug
08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
If its not broken, why fix it? Enjoy her good sleeping habits! My friends 3 yo loves his crib, he will climb in but not out lol.

newnana
08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Gotta say, the image of her sleeping in her comfy place in the corner of the crib is just too cute. :heartbeat: If she's happy, no need to disrupt things. Sleep is a beautiful thing. Keep her there as long as she's happy to cement that sweet image into your memory.

BabyBearsMom
08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
21-month-old DD's still sleeping in her crib and always sleeps at one corner of the crib (it's like her comfort place to be inside the crib). She always wait for us to pick her up from the crib when she wakes up in the morning and from the nap. We haven't noticed any attempts so far to climb out from the crib. I was told to keep her in the crib as long as she fits in there and never attempts to climb out from the crib. When will you transition to toddler bed ?

My DD is 28 months and still sleeps in a crib. She loves her crib and has no interest in leaving it. I think that once we potty train her, we will move her to a big girl bed in case she needs to go at night, but until then I'm not in a rush.

babyfiorina1
08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm just not too sure if I should or not. She's our first so there always something new for me to learn :) now I'm convinced not to disrupt this habit until she climbs out or doesn't fit in there anymore.

Momit
08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
We kept DS in his until one night when he climbed out 3 times. I was glad we had an extra full-size mattress we could set up the next day because it happened so fast. It was a rough transition for him - for several weeks we would find him asleep in the hall or on the floor in our room. He just kept wandering and couldn't settle down. He would cry and say "I want to stay in my bed but I can't! Put me back in my crib!"

I agree with PPs, don't ditch the crib until you need to.