PDA

View Full Version : DS Standing in Tub - What now?

Ms B
08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
We have used the Primo Eurobath since DS was about six weeks old and have been very happy with it. However, DS has started standing up in the Eurobath. (And also trying to hike his leg up and climb into the bathtub, but that's a different issue! :))

Obviously, we are worried about his safety, especially because he already is walking outside the tub and we figure that the next step is walking inside the tub. Gently holding him down does not work as he flails around to stand and we end up more worried. Neither toys nor splashing hold his interest.

Is the answer putting him in the big tub with a couple bathmats on the bottom to help with traction? :confused:

We knew this would happen some time, but we did not think it would be so soon.

Help!

crl
08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
I think walking in the tub is not safe, regardless of things in the bottom to help with traction. For us bath time is over when a kid stands up. My kids like the bath so that works as a deterrent.

Catherine

twowhat?
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I think walking in the tub is not safe, regardless of things in the bottom to help with traction. For us bath time is over when a kid stands up. My kids like the bath so that works as a deterrent.

Catherine

:yeahthat: That's how I handled it. They'd get one warning and if they stood again, I'd quickly rinse (if hair was still soapy) and bathtime would be over. Worked like a charm:)

♥ms.pacman♥
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat:

we used the primo tub too for each kid, at first. each kid went through a phase where he/she would stand in tub. went away quickly after they realized that it was a no-no and bath time would be over.

right now we bathe DS and DD together in the regular tub and DD is a bath seat. She is totally old enough to be with out it, but we use it so we won't have to worry about her standing up and whatnot (she's a climber!!).

vonfirmath
08-14-2012, 12:52 AM
DD started standing up in the tub this week too. This is absolutely not allowed in our house. I sternly say "Sit down" and she'll sit... I'll try to distract her and then she'll stand again soon therafter. And I repeat. IF she doesn't sit down. Or when I repeat the third or forth time, bath time is over. (she loves the bath) I only give her that many chances because of her age.

(I have followed this up with a "Talking to" about the dangers of standing in the tub. I don't think she gets it. But my son understood stuff WAY earlier than I gave him credit for!)

lalasmama
08-14-2012, 01:00 AM

Catherine

:yeahthat: That's exactly what we did with DD.

hillview
08-16-2012, 03:08 PM

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
08-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Catherine

mikala
08-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Agree with ending the bath as soon as DC stand up.

We also had luck with showers starting around age 2 so that may be an option in the future. There's still a fall risk but a traction mat is more effective in a shower and it's a quicker way to bathe them.

KrisM
08-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I went in w them.