PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary Uniform Policy

ilfaith
08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
After a few years of private school with mandatory uniforms, my boys are starting public school next week. The school has a "voluntary uniform policy" where students are encouraged to wear polo-style shirts in the school colors with black or tan/beige/khaki bottoms.

I am wondering whether any of your kids' schools have a similar policy, and if one is in place, whether many students actually do wear the suggested uniform. My boys each have plenty of khaki shorts, and I picked up a few polos for $5 a piece at Old Navy, but I don't want my kids to be the only ones who show up on the first day in uniform...nor do I want them to be the only ones in tee shirts and athletic shorts (which I am certain they would prefer to wear).

twowhat?
08-13-2012, 10:19 PM
NO idea but following because I'm curious...a "voluntary uniform policy" sounds like just about the dumbest thing to me. Either make the uniforms mandatory, or don't!

deborah_r
08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Our public elementary has a uniform policy, and while they don't come out and say it is voluntary, I do have a hard time believing they could actually enforce it. I really don't know if any kids ever get sent home for not being in uniform (dressed inappropriately as determined by a list of things they are not allowed to wear would get you sent home to change I believe). My son has pretty much dressed in uniform every school day for 4 years and most of his friends do as well. I've never heard of anyone being picked on for being in uniform or not in uniform.

Ours is similar to what you describe, red blue or white polo shirts and tan or navy bottoms. Sweaters and jackets can be any kind. The PTA sells reasonably priced school logo tees, polos and sweatshirts.

ahisma
08-13-2012, 11:50 PM
My DH's school is adopting that this year - for teachers. DH is less than thrilled, especially since the email came out right after we bought him a new work wardrobe.

I have no idea how it will play out. He bought two shirts and will see how it goes - and wash constantly for the first month if it winds up being widely adopted.

My gut says that for your DS's school it won't be a widespread thing.

ilfaith
08-14-2012, 12:24 AM
It is a brand new school opening its doors for the first time next week. I don't know whether there was any sort of dress code or uniform policy at the school that previously served our community. We moved to the neighborhood over the summer, but of the neighbors I have met so far, none have elementary school aged children.

Penny's Pappa
08-14-2012, 10:47 AM
NO idea but following because I'm curious...a "voluntary uniform policy" sounds like just about the dumbest thing to me. Either make the uniforms mandatory, or don't!

Agreed. "Voluntary uniform" is an oxymoron.

AnnieW625
08-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Our school district has a uniform policy, but from what I understand it is really made at the principal's decretion and often in areas where the school's population is in a poorer demographic area or children are bussed from a poorer area (this is the case with my home school, about 80% of the kids who attend live in a different area) they aren't really all on top of following it mainly because of the economic factors.

If this isn't the case at your school then I really think your sons will be fine in their polo shirts. I would call the office and see. I know the schools with higher median incomes in my district absolutely follow the uniform code and while I don't know if there are penalties for not wearing the uniform I would hate to have your children be singled out on their first day.

kbud
08-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Agreed! This sounds absolutely silly;)

Tondi G
08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Our school has a voluntary uniform policy too .... apparently they can't make it mandatory ... it is strongly suggested/encouraged. I don't put my kids in uniforms. They are not comfortable in polo shirts and twill shorts. I would rather my child be comfortable in school than be fidgeting with their shirt collar etc. I did purchase a few t-shirts with the school logo embroidered on it ... they wear them on Fridays.