PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of this bed for little kids

BabyBearsMom
08-14-2012, 10:12 AM
DH and I are thinking about getting DD1 a twin sized bed. She is still happily sleeping in her crib, but we are planning to potty train her this fall so we want her to be able to get up when she needs to and come get me. Also, she is very tall (99th percentile for height) and is starting to really fill the length of the crib. Her room is very small, so I'm looking for a bed that has some storage in it. I saw this bed: http://www.pbteen.com/products/guys-store-it-bed/?pkey=cloft-storage I liked that it had those open storage spaces, where I could put some of her stuffed animals and toys. Plus it comes in a dark wood which would go with the other furniture in her room. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good twin sized bed for a little kid?

Mermanaid
08-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Love it! In our house, those cubbies would turn into black holes though! Keep in mind that if you put a bed like this against a wall you may loose some of the storage.

Beth24
08-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I love the bed. PP made a good observation about losing storage capacity if you put it against a wall. I will add that we have loved having a trundle under our kids beds. You could use it for storage now and then get a second mattress when your DD starts having sleepovers! Or your DDs want to sleep in the same room..

BabyBearsMom
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I love the bed. PP made a good observation about losing storage capacity if you put it against a wall. I will add that we have loved having a trundle under our kids beds. You could use it for storage now and then get a second mattress when your DD starts having sleepovers! Or your DDs want to sleep in the same room..

I really wish we could get a trundle bed, but DD1's room is so small that you wouldn't be able to open the trundle with a dresser in the room! I'm hoping we can move in the next 5 years but I'm just not sure that is in the cards for us.

Good point about losing storage up against the wall (and this would be up against a wall). Anyone have a suggestion for a bed with drawers underneath it? Or a bed like this one that isn't so expensive?

smiles33
08-15-2012, 05:07 PM
DD2 has a bed with 4 drawers underneath (stacked two high, side-by-side). This means she needs a stool to climb up and I have to use rails because she's so high up that it will hurt if she rolls off. She was about 2 when we moved her, so thought I'd share since it's about the same age. It's likely that your DD1 is used to leaning against the crib rails to sleep so you definitely need good rails if you're moving a 2 year old to a bed with significant storage underneath.

Mermanaid
08-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Do you have an Ikea near? They have some pretty inexpensive options that come in different colors.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40228708/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20162888/

I'd look for them on my local Craigslist. Or maybe even search Captain's beds because they will have the storage like the PP was talking about. They are a bit high though.

bisous
08-18-2012, 01:25 PM
I think that is a cute bed. But I know my boys would just stuff those cubbies full of junk. Unless you're planning on putting baskets in the cubbies, I know I personally would regret having a storage area that open and visible. It would feel cluttered to me--particularly if it were in a small bedroom. But maybe your DD isn't messy?

roseyloxs
08-18-2012, 01:57 PM
If you aren't anti-walmart you might want to see what they have. We got DS his bed from there. It came with 3 drawers and headboard storage. It was mostly MDF but very solid and heavy. It was about $150 if I remember right. It was a platform like the PBK bed so you'll also save by skipping the box spring purchase.

elbenn
08-18-2012, 02:46 PM
I like the bed. I think you can keep the storage space from becoming too messy by getting some baskets/rubbermaid containers to keep things neat.