PDA

View Full Version : saving on phone bills - ideas?

wifecat
08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
We're just about to move to a new house and for years we've just paid for a bundle rate of unlimited long distance/high speed internet, but it's so expensive and we don't make that many calls (and we usually skype with the grandparents!).

We aren't strong cell phone users. We just have phones for emergencies so that's not going to be our go-to option, but I know I used to use a calling card number that offered me super cheap long-distance. Anyone do that still? Have recommendations for a company? Or use an internet phone provider or some other option I haven't thought of?

wendmatt
08-14-2012, 11:40 AM
I have Vonage but it's about $35 a month after taxes, so not super cheap but my family is all in the UK so I use the free overseas calls. I have pay as you go cell phone so that doesn't cost me much. Lots of people just have cell phones now so that might be worth looking at for yourself, I think you can get unlimited plans for about $45 a month.

AnnieW625
08-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I would look at a service like Vonage, but honestly for $35 a month that isn't much less than what the bundled internet/tv/phone will be. Call and renegoatiate with your cable company. I threatened to leave them for Verizon Fios bundle, which was less money and included wifi (cable company charges $4/month for wifi router rental), but then they gave me the lower priced package for 6 months plus 3 mos. of free DVR.

Prior to having the bundled service I used a calling card for long distance service and it worked out just fine. I did that from 2000 to 2007. I don't even know if they still sell phone cards. It has been years since I last saw them at Costco.

kbud
08-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Hands down Ooma. We've had it for 3 years and it's great. You pay less than $200 for the equipment up front and then it's free. There may be a little in taxes (we were grandfathered in and pay nothing). The quality is great (as good or better than landline), you get VM, caller ID, long distance, etc. You can also pay a small monthly fee for additional services. I've used it for 911 with no issues at all. The only downside is if your internet goes down (power loss, etc) you have no phone service. We have cell phones for a back up then.

http://www.ooma.com/
equipment
http://slickdeals.net/f/5032081-Ooma-150
http://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Free-Phone-Service/dp/B002O3W4LE

review:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/electronics/phones--mobile-devices/review-of-ooma-internet-phone-service/16935237001/870423500001/

JElaineB
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I have local phone service and the no-cost long distance plan (pay by the minute, never use it). For actual long distance calls I use OneSuite (http://www.onesuite.com/). We have to call an access number but then recognizes our phone number so I don't need to type in a PIN (can also program it to recognize at least a couple other numbers as well). I also use their speed dial feature so it really doesn't take long at all to make long distance calls. I add about $10 to our account every 6 months or so. I've been using OneSuite for 10 years and have been very happy with it. We also use Skype and have DSL through our phone company for internet.

khalloc
08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
We have Ooma too. DH set it up. I think the equipment was $200 and after that it's free.

wifecat
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM
We have Ooma too. DH set it up. I think the equipment was $200 and after that it's free.

Interesting! We'll have to look into that. Are you happy with it? How does it work - like - do you have a phone phone, or just talk online like skype?

wendmatt
08-14-2012, 06:19 PM
So, can I use a calling card for international calls with this Ooma? I looked at their site but it only says US calls or Canada with premium service. I like the idea of cutting out the $35 a month vonage but I just spent an hour on the phone to my sister so I need the international. I have never heard of Ooma, it looks very interesting.

kbud
08-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Interesting! We'll have to look into that. Are you happy with it? How does it work - like - do you have a phone phone, or just talk online like skype?

You use your regular phones. You can wire it several ways. You can set it up so that all your regular phone jacks work. We've done that but also have a cordless phone set with 3 handsets so only the base is plugged into the wall. Except for the fact that the dial tone is different you would never know it wasn't a landline.

Look at the reviews on Amazon, most everyone loves it.

We could not get it to work with our alarm though or fax if that is important.

kbud
08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
So, can I use a calling card for international calls with this Ooma? I looked at their site but it only says US calls or Canada with premium service. I like the idea of cutting out the $35 a month vonage but I just spent an hour on the phone to my sister so I need the international. I have never heard of Ooma, it looks very interesting.

I don't know about calling cards, I would assume so as it is just like a phone. You can add international calling to it. When we went to Mexico we added Mexico calling for a month. It was pretty cheap and worked just fine.

It's also nice if you move. Just take your equipment with you and set up at new house after internet is installed. Then just change your address with Ooma on-line for the 911 service. I've heard people travel with it to make/receive calls when away.

wifecat
08-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Hands down Ooma. We've had it for 3 years and it's great. You pay less than $200 for the equipment up front and then it's free. There may be a little in taxes (we were grandfathered in and pay nothing). The quality is great (as good or better than landline), you get VM, caller ID, long distance, etc. You can also pay a small monthly fee for additional services. I've used it for 911 with no issues at all. The only downside is if your internet goes down (power loss, etc) you have no phone service. We have cell phones for a back up then.

Thank you SO much for mentioning Ooma! We're going to go for it and I figure even if the unit breaks down after a year (which I hope it won't!), it's still cheaper than having a landline through Comcast or CenturyLink. And for internet, we're going with Comcast. The rep basically told me to call back every 6 months to renegotiate pricing as our promo rate for internet/tv will only last that long.

kbud
08-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Thank you SO much for mentioning Ooma! We're going to go for it and I figure even if the unit breaks down after a year (which I hope it won't!), it's still cheaper than having a landline through Comcast or CenturyLink. And for internet, we're going with Comcast. The rep basically told me to call back every 6 months to renegotiate pricing as our promo rate for internet/tv will only last that long.

I hope you like it as much as we do. That was my thought exactly. We have our original unit and it's over 3 years old now!