PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5

mackmama
08-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Who is getting one? It sounds like the announcement may happen on Sept 12.

I am trying to hold out for it even though my iphone 4 is on its last legs (and has been for months). I just hope it's not crazy expensive, otherwise I'll have to go with the iphone 4s which will hopefully be cheaper once the 5 comes out.

BabyBearsMom
08-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Probably me. But I read that the new one is going to have a new plug. I have so many prior iphone plugs, I am not happy about this.

kristenk
08-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I'll probably be getting one. My current iphone will be give to DD to use for games/music/etc. She is VERY excited about that!

I'm not thrilled with the idea of a new connector b/c we have tons of the current version around. Oh, well.

larig
08-14-2012, 03:40 PM
There will likely be an adapter, so you can use your old stuff. Perhaps it will come with the first batch of iPhone 5s?

I think I'll get one. If it's wider, I probably won't. I don't want a phone I can't use one-handed. It is likely they'll do pre-orders the day of the announcement, I've read speculated by those in-the-know.

geochick
08-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Me. Me. Me. I have been waiting for a long time for this phone. My dh got the 4S. I wanted to wait for one more generation so that I could have a better phone than him. Silly me.

Anyway, I can't wait!

codex57
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM

I am trying to hold out for it even though my iphone 4 is on its last legs (and has been for months). I just hope it's not crazy expensive, otherwise I'll have to go with the iphone 4s which will hopefully be cheaper once the 5 comes out.

It's not gonna be any shock in terms of pricing.

$199. $299 for the bigger model.

DW is gonna get it. I'll get her 4S.

nfowife
08-14-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm planning on getting one. My 3GS is dying a slow death and I need more memory. I will preorder as soon as it's possible.

megs4413
08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Me! Cannot wait!

JMS
08-14-2012, 04:23 PM
ME! CAN NOT WAIT either :)

I have yet to enter the smart phone universe and after months of back and forth, I decided to go with the iPhone so now I figure what's another month or so!

WatchingThemGrow
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
not me! I'm still loving my 4s, even though it has been shut in the trunk lock part of my van and driven through the pickup line at school, and THIS WEEK, been DRIVEN over by said van. Do yourself a favor, clutzes like me! Get the Otterbox Defender for your new iPhone.

codex57
08-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I think I'm gonna get the Lifeproof case. I have the Defender now. Protective, but that's about all the good I can say about it. Hard to pull out of a pocket, huge, collects lint, not too fond of the flaps, etc.

BabyBearsMom
08-14-2012, 04:30 PM
I think I'm gonna get the Lifeproof case. I have the Defender now. Protective, but that's about all the good I can say about it. Hard to pull out of a pocket, huge, collects lint, not too fond of the flaps, etc.

Is it as sturdy as an Otterbox? Would it stand up to a 2 year old being a 2 year old. DD1 is all over my phone whenever it is out and she has totally trashed my iPhone 4. It is barely hanging on. So when I get 5, I want it to be good.

azazela
08-14-2012, 04:34 PM

I am hoping to get it! And 9/12 is my birthday! :yay:

TwinFoxes
08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Me, me!

FYI, apparently some stores are already discounting the 4s

codex57
08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Is it as sturdy as an Otterbox? Would it stand up to a 2 year old being a 2 year old. DD1 is all over my phone whenever it is out and she has totally trashed my iPhone 4. It is barely hanging on. So when I get 5, I want it to be good.

Apparently better. Which is why it costs more.

And yes, I have a 2 yr old also. A wild 2 yr old. People laugh because our iPads and my iPhone look like tanks with all the thick armored cases they have. I'll still recommend Otterbox for the iPhone (but not the iPad) because, despite its flaws, ultimately, it protects. But still, if there's something better, why not consider it? So far, everything I've heard about the Lifeproof case is that it is better. Just more expensive. But for a pricey item like an iPhone that I use everyday, that's worth it. I mean, the iPhone loses a lot of its appeal when it's in this giant plastic case that makes it look like a brick phone from the 80s.

KLD313
08-14-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm ready to give up my BlackBerry, I hate it. The only thing I liked about it was the navigation but now my new car has built in nav so problem solved.

elektra
08-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Me!
My phone has been dying too! My audio drops about 10 seconds in to any call, and my home button is hit or miss. It's driving me crazy but I am hoping I can hold out one more month.
A new plug?? Gah! what a pain. I hope it's not too much bigger too.

codex57
08-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Me!
My phone has been dying too! My audio drops about 10 seconds in to any call, and my home button is hit or miss. It's driving me crazy but I am hoping I can hold out one more month.

Plug is supposed to be smaller. Well, the end that goes into the phone anyways.

The pain is that all my accessories aren't going to fit it. Oh well, chargers on eBay are pretty cheap.

The main annoying thing is that all the good cases almost certainly won't be ready for a few months after this thing comes out. I like my phones protected right away, again because of a certain destructive child.

larig
08-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Me. Me. Me. I have been waiting for a long time for this phone. My dh got the 4S. I wanted to wait for one more generation so that I could have a better phone than him. Silly me.

Anyway, I can't wait!

DH and I always have one new and one last-year's model. That way we always have at least one of the new model to play with.

larig
08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Me, me!

FYI, apparently some stores are already discounting the 4s

yes, target, and one other and apple is price matching too, so they're selling for $50 off.

larig
08-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Me!

DH's iphone4 (used to be mine) had a home button problem. It was 25 days away from being out of applecare and we got it replaced--for free! Have you tried taking it in?--I'd do it if you have applecare. It will eventually be DS's to play with, so at least we've got a working one to hang onto. He had an old 3g that decided it needed a dip in the toilet. :nono:

mackmama
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Sadly I don't have applecare. My home button rarely works. I often don't get notified for texts. Sometimes it doesn't ring. The volume control rarely works. Oy I need a new phone!

mackmama
08-14-2012, 06:46 PM
I am hoping to get it! And 9/12 is my birthday! :yay:

Well then it's simply a must! :wink2:

TwinFoxes
08-14-2012, 06:50 PM
DH's iphone4 (used to be mine) had a home button problem. It was 25 days away from being out of applecare and we got it replaced--for free! Have you tried taking it in?--I'd do it if you have applecare.

Mine had literally a week to go in the warranty (not even applecare) and I got a free one because of home button issues. :)

mackmama
08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I hadn't heard of lifeproof cases. Thanks to the PP who mentioned it. They do look pretty slim-fitting. http://www.lifeproof.com/iphone

elektra
08-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I did take it in but I can't remember what the Applecare status on it was (?) They could not find a problem and suggested taking it all down to the factory settings, taking all apps off and starting it all over.
I should probably try that but it's a PITA to get it back synced with all my work stuff and then redo everything.
Although as I am writing this out I sound pretty lazy!

Momit
08-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm getting one! My phone now is hanging on by a thread (no Applecare). One more month, one more month...

123LuckyMom
08-14-2012, 08:41 PM
DH and I probably both are. We want to see how much more fabulous it is than the 4 I already own and love. If it's $299 worth better, both of us will get them. If it's not, I will, and DH will take my 4, or I will, and DH will get a discounted 4S. If DH isn't overly impressed, he'll probably keep the 4 to remain eligible for the next upgrade. Then I'll get it, and he'll get my old 5. That's how we work it in our family. Poor DH is desperate for a new phone, though. He lost his in a car accident we were in back at the end of October, and he's been making do with my old 3G. Not fun! I'm miffed about the new port size, though. We would finally have had enough chargers!

smiles33
08-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Me, me, me! I have a 3GS in an Otterbox and am definitely getting the 5 ASAP, as well as a Lifeproof case. DH bought one for his 4S and I love it (check out the website, it can even be used UNDERWATER!). Plus, it's so much slimmer and it doesn't have the lint issue or getting stuck in pockets (I also shove my iPhone into my jeans when I'm out with the kids on the weekend).

kozachka
08-15-2012, 03:48 AM
We want to see how much more fabulous it is than the 4 I already own and love.

:yeahthat: I've had iPhone 4 from the day they were released, and love it. Will have to see if iPhone 5 is worth $$$ to upgrade.

LD92599
08-15-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm getting the 5 and switching from att to verizon. Fortunately my contract is up right before the release!

karstmama
08-15-2012, 08:33 AM
i'm getting one, but not until january when i'm eligible for upgrade. i love my 4, though, so it isn't like i'm suffering... :)

Mermanaid
08-15-2012, 09:26 AM
I often don't get notified for texts. Sometimes it doesn't ring. The volume control rarely works. Oy I need a new phone!

DH has this issue with his phone too and after spending a few hours researching it discovered it's an ongoing issue with the 4s for some of us. Apparently it needs to be resolved with a software update (according to him!).

khalloc
08-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Not me since I just got the 4s last October. I'll probably wait a year and get the next one that comes out.

psimpson3-5
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm getting the 5 and switching from att to verizon. Fortunately my contract is up right before the release!

Just curious- are you concerned about losing an unlimited data plan. I am able to keep mine with AT&T since I've been with them for so very long.

I can't wait another moment until the 5 arrives. The ear speaker on my IPhone 4 is blown. It drives me nuts. Calls sound absolutely terrible. Thankfully the headphones work fine and sound great.

Swallowbird23
08-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Not me since I just got the 4s last October. I'll probably wait a year and get the next one that comes out.

I'm not either. I just got the 4S a few weeks ago after my phone Iphone 3GS broke its last leg. DH will get the 5. He always gets the first model (3,4,5) and I always get the second (3GS, 4S, etc) I HATE getting new phones but it always seems to work out this way with mine dying and DH pushes me to just get the new one instead of paying to repair so he can play with the new features

cchavez
08-15-2012, 11:32 AM
I will be getting one....it will be my first iphone. :)

mackmama
08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
DH has this issue with his phone too and after spending a few hours researching it discovered it's an ongoing issue with the 4s for some of us. Apparently it needs to be resolved with a software update (according to him!).

My phone is a 4 (not 4s), but that's interesting to hear it's a known problem. I'm up to date on all software updates. It is a pain not having a phone that is reliable!

Babymakes3
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't have a smartphone yet but i've also decided on the iphone and I am working on DH daily to talk him into it! I want a smartphone so bad I can't see straight, lol!

AnnieW625
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
not us, we are happy with our 4s'. I am actually hoping our 4s will get us to iphone6;)