PDA

View Full Version : Warm fall gear for soccer mom in the north?

Naranjadia
08-14-2012, 05:17 PM
I totally whiffed it as a soccer mom my first year - I didn't have a chair, I didn't remember to bring coffee half the Saturday mornings, and by late September I was freaking freezing on the fields (it's always 10 degrees less in the soccer park due to the wind). I responded by buying a lovely fitted wool coat from Boden, which turned out to have a significantly uninsulated square foot on the back. Gah!

Does anyone have a good combo of layers for fall? I've looked over the various options at REI, but there are so many I'm at a loss.

This year our kids are on two different teams, so I think there will be a lot of spectator time. ;)

cono0507
08-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Well, here's what works for me:
I always keep a couple of blankets in the car - they are the picnic-type blankets where one side is waterproof. We can use them to sit on the ground in nice weather but they also are good for when it gets cold to cover up with while sitting in chairs at the game.
Bring your coffee/other warm drink.
I broke down and bought Hunter boots last year and they were great for the muddy soccer fields and also kept my feet warm with some fleece boot socks.
I generally wear jeans. If it is very cold, I'll wear my smartwool or patagonia long underwear under them. On a couple of occasions where it was snowing and windy, I wore ski pants. :)
On top, it depends. I'm often found with a down vest over a long sleeve top or fleece, sometimes with a merino wool tank underneath. I always keep my rain jacket in the car because invariably it is sunny at home and wet on the field. If it is super cold, I'm in my down parka. Don't forget a hat. Easier to watch the game with a hat on than with a hood, IMO.
Not sure this is exactly what you were looking for. I live in an area where most people wear sporty/athletic wear all the time, and wearing dressier clothes/coats is rare.

ilfaith
08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm afraid I cannot be of any help whatsoever on this one. Where we live, we have the opposite problem during soccer season. Temperatures are usually in the mid to upper 80s for our fall season. I remember there was one game two years ago when it was only in the 50s when we left for the field. I was so excited to put on jeans, boots and a sweater...I thought this was exactly what soccer weather should be. Of course by the second game the temperature had risen into the 70s, and I was wishing I had layered a tank underneath.

I suppose I should be glad for the kids' sake that they are wearing tee shirts and shorts for soccer instead of football uniforms, helmets, and pads in the heat.

Kindra178
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
For early fall, try a windproof fleece or light puffer. I LOVE this jacket because it's warm, sporty and waterproof:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-nano-puff-hoody?p=84225-0-306

I got mine on sale last summer. I sometimes layer that with their Better Sweater (it is the best layering piece):

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-better-sweater-fleece-jacket?p=25541-0-323

When it's officially cold, I just pull out my regular down jacket, hat, gloves, etc.

High boots are way warmer than other shoes. I love my fleece lined Keens because they are waterproof and warm:

http://www.amazon.com/Keen-Womens-Bern-Baby-Casual/dp/B003O2SGHU/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1344998697&sr=1-1&keywords=keen+boots

For cute ideas, take a look at the Title Nine website.

Naranjadia
08-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Not sure this is exactly what you were looking for. I live in an area where most people wear sporty/athletic wear all the time, and wearing dressier clothes/coats is rare.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for. And I wanted an excuse to buy a down vest. ;)

I'm afraid I cannot be of any help whatsoever on this one. Where we live, we have the opposite problem during soccer season.

Sometimes, I fantasized about being a soccer mom in Florida or Texas, as I went numb.:ROTFLMAO: We do get one or two weeks of hot soccer, but the shift last year was pretty dramatic.

For early fall, try a windproof fleece or light puffer. I LOVE this jacket because it's warm, sporty and waterproof:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-nano-puff-hoody?p=84225-0-306

I got mine on sale last summer. I sometimes layer that with their Better Sweater (it is the best layering piece):

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-better-sweater-fleece-jacket?p=25541-0-323

When it's officially cold, I just pull out my regular down jacket, hat, gloves, etc.

High boots are way warmer than other shoes. I love my fleece lined Keens because they are waterproof and warm:

http://www.amazon.com/Keen-Womens-Bern-Baby-Casual/dp/B003O2SGHU/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1344998697&sr=1-1&keywords=keen+boots

For cute ideas, take a look at the Title Nine website.

Wow, I've never taken a look at Keen boots. I don't know why. Those look great. I also like the look of that jacket and the Better Sweater. Thank you!

newg
08-15-2012, 02:11 PM
waterproof and windproof are going to be your best friends! Besides brands PP mentioned; LE, Sorel, Columbia and LLBean all have great clothing and/or footwear. Maybe even look at longer coats, like this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-down-chalet-coat~244265_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BEJ&CM_MERCH=IDX_sale-_-women-_-outerwear-_-jackets-parkas-coats&origin=index
and then with the cute boots Kindra mentioned........you'd be completely covered!!

mjmamma
08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I bought a nice Patagonia fleece for layering. A good shell is perfect to top this. Hunter boots with fleece linings are a must since it's always wet or dewy. And the blanket and chair should just live in the car :) It's miserable sometimes :rotflmao:

smiles33
08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm not a soccer mom but wanted to share that DH bought me an awesome cold weather "underlayer" from UnderArmour. I'm a huge fan of their performance fabrics and the winter one is awesome. I never got sweaty with it on alone and just piled on a vest or jacket if I needed more warmth.

curiousgeorge
08-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for. And I wanted an excuse to buy a down vest. ;)

Sometimes, I fantasized about being a soccer mom in Florida or Texas, as I went numb.:ROTFLMAO: We do get one or two weeks of hot soccer, but the shift last year was pretty dramatic.

Wow, I've never taken a look at Keen boots. I don't know why. Those look great. I also like the look of that jacket and the Better Sweater. Thank you!

I am not [yet] a soccer mom, but I got those Keen boots last year at REI at the end of season clearance sale (for only $75 which I thought was a great deal) and I love them even though I do live in Texas :-)

alexsmommy
08-17-2012, 08:34 AM
This thread is cracking me up. I just received DS1's soccer team assignment. I try to block out how cold those last few games are.
It's not just the clothing - I keep a "game day" bag in the car with two blankets, an extra sweatshirt, an extra long sleeve t for DS1 (temp drops seem to come out of nowhere for evening practices) and those $1 stretchy gloves for all of us.