PDA

View Full Version : Utility Co dug up yard....now what?

logan's mom
08-14-2012, 09:52 PM
We own a home 2 hours away that we rent out. About a week ago renter called and complained that she could smell gas in the garage. Called the gas company and they came out. They discovered that the gas line coming from the street and going into our and neighboring house had cracked and was leaking. They also discovered that the electrical line there had been struck by lightning and was raw?

Between the Gas Co and the Electric Co, they dug up a portion of the lawn between the two houses. They covered it back up, but the grass in that area is dead.

Is it my responsibility to have that area of the lawn re-sodded or should the Gas/Electric Company be responsible???

LMPC
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
When Time Warner laid their cable across our yard a few years ago, they were required to return it to the pre-cable state -- which meant that they raked it, seeded it, and put down straw. It looks fine now. If it was there issue, then I think they would be similarly responsible.

Snow mom
08-14-2012, 11:37 PM
It might depend on what the legal designation of the land is. The utility company might have a right of way or the land could belong to the city in which case I doubt they'll fix the lawn. For example, the front 10' of my property looks like it's mine but legally it belongs to the city. I'm not supposed to build on it but lots of people put bushes, trees, etc. in that area. If there is a utility problem the city will come in and rip it up and there is no way they are doing anything beyond putting things back somewhat straight. If there was mature landscaping in the way that would be the problem of the homeowner. In your case I would call and ask but I can't imagine they'll take responsibility for replacing the grass. It would simply get too expensive to do their job of making sure peoples homes don't blow up in gas explosions.

jenfromnj
08-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Did you get a package from your attorney/realtor when you purchased the house? The power company most likely has an easement to have the lines on your property, and there should be a copy of it in the title work. They usually specify what, if anything, the company is responsible for in terms of cleaning up their mess, so to speak.

Octobermommy
08-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Check your survey, If that land is on a utility easement then it is your responsibility. If not, then they should fix it.

o_mom
08-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Call the utility company and see if they are planning any more restoration to the area. Around here, most of the utilities contract any lawn repairs to landscaping companies which may come out weeks after the work is done. You may want to let it settle for awhile before you actually grade and seed anyway and they may be waiting for that as well.