PDA

View Full Version : White furniture with off-white walls?

mm123
08-15-2012, 07:54 AM
DD's (ages 4 and 2) share a small room, and we're getting ready to buy them their 'big girl' furniture. For beds, I think we'll just get mattresses and box springs on the simple metal frames you get at the mattress store, since they take up the least space. I do not trust them with a bunk bed.

I was thinking of getting them each an Ikea Hemnes dresser and maybe a nightstand, but don't know if I should get the dark brown or white. In general, I like the look of brown better, but will dark furniture make the room feel even smaller? Their walls are off-white. Would white furniture make the room feel too washed-out? Although they would love it, I REFUSE to paint their walls any shade of pink and/or purple!!

Anyone have white furniture and off-white walls? Is it too much? Any other suggestions and/or pictures to share?

twowhat?
08-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Interesting. We have white cribs and off-white walls and I never even wondered about it! We plan on getting white beds later too. I'll dig out a pic later when I can find one.

eta: not the greatest pic but hope it will give you an idea (and clearly we have not decorated - at all). Now that I'm looking at their room, I totally agree with ciw below - the white furniture really does make the walls "read" white. The walls are an off-white/bisque color (you can see the slight contrast with the walls and the white closet door and trim) and the cribs are IKEA Gulliver in white (which to me is more of a creamy white than a stark white). And yeah - I can see how art on the walls, bedding, etc would be what completes the look.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7280/7788898552_b539c1f2c7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34241305@N00/7788898552/)

ciw
08-15-2012, 08:41 AM
We have white furniture with off-white walls in DS's playroom (sorry, no pics) and it looks really cute. Basically, the white furniture makes the walls "read" white if that makes any sense. We have a bright aqua area rug (on hardwood floors) and red accent pieces throughout the room and that really makes the room pop. I think white furniture and off-white walls can work, provided that your off-white isn't too beige or yellow. It's just all going to read as white and actually, I think it has a richer look than if everything was the exact same shade of white because the variation in color provides depth. I do think that for a kid's space, you need to add color somewhere though so I'd probably let the girls have pink or purple bedspreads, throw rugs, and pictures to brighten the space. It depends on the exact color of your walls but I think the white combo could work well.

While I like dark furniture too, I definitely think it makes rooms look smaller.

joonbug
08-15-2012, 09:29 AM
DD used to have cream walls and all white furniture before we moved. It s a great clean look and i assure you, no way it ll look washed out with all girls toys and accessories!