PDA

View Full Version : Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra...to D or not to D?

randomkid
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I've decided to try DD on an allergy medication. She's been having issues with nausea at night and has post nasal drip. I do think the nausea may be food related and she is on an elimination diet, but I think the PND makes it worse. We tried Singulair, but she had nightmares until we stopped it. So, do you think any one of these meds is better than the other and do we need to use the D for it to be more effective?

Jen841
08-15-2012, 02:00 PM
We do the Sam's or Costco (or Target) kids version of Certitizine (sp). You can totally tell then they have not had their "stuff nose" medicine. I don't do the D b/c this works fine for them. I a seasonal allergy sufferer. Zyrtec D does not allow me to have a good nights rest. I thought it was illness, then realized it was the pill. I can top off my generic stuff with Sudefed if necessary, but the without D does the job for me 99.9% of the time.

lizzywednesday
08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
When it's me, I opt for the decongestant-free version of the antihistamine because I don't always have congestion with my allergies and I'm not a fan of taking meds for symptoms I don't have.

randomkid
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Ok, thanks. Will try without the D first as DD doesn't have a stuffy nose, just the PND. I just wasn't sure if the med without decongestant would be as effective

lizzywednesday
08-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Ok, thanks. Will try without the D first as DD doesn't have a stuffy nose, just the PND. I just wasn't sure if the med without decongestant would be as effective

The med is the antihistamine - citrizine, loratidine, diphenhydramine, etc. - and it works just fine on its own.

The "D" stands for "decongestant" and doesn't do anything to enhance or limit the way the antihistamine works.

How old is your DD? Can she try a salt water gargle? Herbal tea with honey? (If she's got allergies, I'd avoid chamomile because it's a cousin to ragweed, but everything else should be OK - personally, I'd go with Lemon Zinger from Celestial Seasonings!)

Once you've got the drip in your throat, there's not much a medication can do, IME, but you just have to treat the symptom.

KLD313
08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I've always had good luck with Mucinex for PND. It doesn't dry you out as much as an allergy med and helps drain and get everything out.

MSWR0319
08-15-2012, 04:10 PM
My allergist told me only to take D if necessary and not or more than two weeks I think. If the med you choose doesn't work, try another. Zyrtec works for DS, Claratin does not.

Kindra178
08-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Allegra (no D) works wonders around here. Ds3 has serious post nasal drip that contributes to many different health related issues and Allegra has improved those health issues greatly.

MamaMolly
08-15-2012, 07:41 PM
To some degree all the meds listed by the OP cause insomnia for Lula. Allegra is the least horrible, but she'll be up until 11:00 on the second or third day of it. Zyrtec and Claritin also caused her to act like a beast, so I avoid them like the plague.