PDA

View Full Version : OT - do you have a ottoman as a coffee table?

Twoboos
08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
If so, do you have something on top to make it more stable for putting things on? I guess just drinks, but we'd have another place for those.

How about the kid's stuff - coloring, etc.? My kids use our coffee table a lot for this kind of stuff.

We are getting a new sectional couch in a dark grey/brownish color (sounds ugly, it's not, I swear!) and I'm loving this to bring in some colors.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tara-upholstered-rectangular-ottoman-dexter-stripe/?pkey=cottomans

Then I might get a couple of throw pillows in the same fabric.

amldaley
08-15-2012, 02:36 PM
We have an ottoman as a table (I think it is referred to a cocktail bench). It is long and leather. When serving drinks, etc, we put a tray on it. It gets used as a seat alot, DD1 climbs all over it, lays on it, etc. We much prefer it to a hard table.

We have a small Kidcraft table and chair set for the girls instead of having them use the "coffee table" for coloring, snacks, etc.

MamaSnoo
08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
I like the ottoman you are looking at.

I have something similar in my sunroom, and I just have a large rattan tray on it. Similar to this (http://www.casa.com/p/michel-design-works-rattan-tray-large-572160?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=FPS-72430&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1466630991&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla). We use the tray to hold a drink, a book or magazine. We do not put many things on the ottoman. It works because our sunroom is a lower traffic room used mostly by adults. With the layout of my room, and adult can use one of the chairs with the ottoman AND have the tray on it with their drink. I do not think I would like the same arrangement in our main family room or a room with lots of kid traffic. I certainly would not put kid drinks on it. YMMV.

brittone2
08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
We have had a giant upholstered ottoman since DS1 was a baby. It flips open for storage. I kept some extra diapers in there and used a changing pad on it for a changing table with DD and DS2, and I keep extra blankets in there. It holds a lot, and has piano hinges that make it not slam shut on little fingers. We use it with a tray for drinks sometimes. In one of our previous houses we didn't really use end tables in the living room so the tray was needed. Right now we have end tables, so as a family we don't really need the tray. The kids color at other places in the house.

I like the one you linked to.

I have enjoyed not having sharp corners. I don't really want something with nasty edges for a few years yet...the youngest still jumps around and rough houses enough that it is nice to have upholstered edges and corners!

marymoo86
08-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I have 2 cube storage ottomans that we use in place of a coffee table. The tops flip over and become trays but we also have end tables we use to hold the occasional drink.

DD has a a small Ikea table in the living room for coloring or other activities.

This style but on casters and different fabric:
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkWQFknfynbnEtHSaLA4miJlyd2ga8i zrRxYgGuvbl275sV5ZECQ

joonbug
08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Love the striped ottoman! Id use a tray on top (silver oversized or painted wooden one) and delegate kiddos to their corner. We used to have a cheap storage ottoman as a coffee table in our last cramped apartment, now it just stores toys in the kiddie corner. We have the very cheap Ikea lack table (7 bucks) with the Kritter chairs. For 7 bucks, no biggie if it gets scratched or so ;)2456

nfowife
08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
We have an ottoman as a coffee table. I would have preferred an actual coffee table but because of the shape of our sectional (we have a chaise on one end so it's a "U" shape) there wasn't room for an actual table so we went with the ottoman. We don't use it for cups at all. Just extra seating and feet. All eating and drinking (by kids anyhow) is done at the kitchen table, as is coloring and crafts. But we have a great room setup so it's still in the same room as the couch if they need to be at the table.

codex57
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sullivan-leather-square-ottoman/

We have that one. By far the best leather type one we found. Leather was soft, yet still firm. Not too many buttons. Very comfy.

So far, we just use it for feet and extra seating too. We have a tray we can set on it for drinks and stuff, but I don't think we've ever used it. The way our family room and kitchen are, if you wanna eat, you can sit at the island or dining table and see the TV. You're further away than the couch, but it's still visible.

I like an ottoman better cuz there are no hard corners. Our kids are nuts and like to run and smash into it (well, practically anything).

TwinFoxes
08-15-2012, 03:32 PM
We have a large square leather ottoman that doubles as a coffee table, and we love it. No little bashed heads/arms/whatevers from hard corners. The girls have clipboards for drawing, or they sit at the breakfast bar. I'm not sure I'd like a cloth one as well, the leather cleans up really easily. There's a shelf underneath where DH and I put drinks.

weech
08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I have 2 cube storage ottomans that we use in place of a coffee table. The tops flip over and become trays but we also have end tables we use to hold the occasional drink.

DD has a a small Ikea table in the living room for coloring or other activities.

This style but on casters and different fabric:
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkWQFknfynbnEtHSaLA4miJlyd2ga8i zrRxYgGuvbl275sV5ZECQ

Can I ask where you got yours from?

marymoo86
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM

I ordered it at local furniture shop. It is a rowe furniture piece so it should be widely available.

urbanmommy
08-15-2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sullivan-leather-square-ottoman/

We have that one. By far the best leather type one we found. Leather was soft, yet still firm. Not too many buttons. Very comfy.

So far, we just use it for feet and extra seating too. We have a tray we can set on it for drinks and stuff, but I don't think we've ever used it. The way our family room and kitchen are, if you wanna eat, you can sit at the island or dining table and see the TV. You're further away than the couch, but it's still visible.

I like an ottoman better cuz there are no hard corners. Our kids are nuts and like to run and smash into it (well, practically anything).

We have a knock off of this that we got on overstock.com. I put a tray down when dd wants to color on it but we don't seem to put drinks on it. We mostly use it for putting up our feet and dd1 uses it as a trampoline. I'd originally thought I'd put some kind of tray there for drinks but it didn't happen. We have side tables that we use for drinks though.

Eta: love the ottoman in the OP!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Momit
08-15-2012, 08:02 PM
We switched out our (very hard with sharp corners) coffee table for an ottoman when DS was a baby. We don't really use it for coloring or crafts. DS does those at the kitchen table or his little IKEA table.

edurnemk
08-16-2012, 12:02 AM

They also have similar ones at Crate and Barrel.

We have cube leather ottomans as a coffee table in out family room. We use square trays for putting stuff on them.

hillview
08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
We have one -- it is a storage type from crate and barrel and we like it. I need some trays that would look good on it to be able to put drinks on it (that was our original plan ...)

pinay
08-16-2012, 07:43 PM
We have a rectangular storage ottoman that we use as our coffee table- we will occasionally put drinks on it but it's mostly a spot to prop up our feet or put random miscellaneous items like the mail before we deal with it. Ours is leather so we don't worry about a tray, just wipe up any spills that occur. DD doesn't use it for coloring, her playroom is just off the living room so she uses her little table in there. I love that it has storage inside- we use it for all of DD's dress up outfits.