PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about Scooby Doo?

Fairy
08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
When did it become a soap opera? I am all over soap operas, as an actor, I take that genre seriously and love it. But Scoooby Doo? I mean, seriously, that show has suddenly come up on my radar, and it's ... it's really good! There are a million versions, and most of them suck. But the ones now that are "Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated" are sucking me in! What the hell is going on?! DS comes to me and tells me what's going on, and I'm suddenly, like, wait a minute, is Angel Dynamite the only one that cares about Freddie? Are Brad Childs and Judy Reeves really focused on the treasure so much that they're willing to put him at risk? Will Tootie, Blair, and Jo show up to help Velma? Are Fred & Daphne gonna finally be together or what?!

I can't believe I'm posting this at all. Tell me I'm not alone. :bag

MamaInMarch
08-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Admittedly, I have never seen this. But I totally thought this was going to be thread along the lines of "when did Scooby get so scary?". I don't remember being scared but when I tried to let DS watch an episode he was freaked out and we had to turn it off. Parenting fail.

dogmom
08-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Then don't start watching the new My Little Ponies, it's like some chick flick!

Fairy
08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
I agree, these Scoobies are not for younger ones. My guy is almost 8.

Apparently, Freddie's parents need a time-out.

maestramommy
08-15-2012, 06:28 PM
I have no idea what that is. But I have DVDs of the original first season. I'm waiting for the kids to get a little older, cuz imo THOSE are creepy.

wendmatt
08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Your post cracked me up! I just read it out to dd who laughed too. We've seen the ads for the new ones and haven't fancied watching them, it seemed like too much drama and not just solving mysteries. But maybe we should start watching them!

daniele_ut
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm laughing out loud right now because the episode you are talking about was on while i was in the kitchen loading the dishwasher earlier today and I was thinking the same thing!!

Gracemom
08-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Have you seen the one where Velma and Shaggy get together? They are totally wrong for each other! :rotflmao:

JMS
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure which ones I have watched (from which years or seasons), but does anyone else think that Shaggy and Scooby come across as stoned?

alien_host
08-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I love the original animated SD, I hate the new ones where they use a cell phone/ laptop and Velma likes Shaggy...so wrong IMO!

I also hate the movies w/ Freddie Prinze Jr. ;)

maestramommy
08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure which ones I have watched (from which years or seasons), but does anyone else think that Shaggy and Scooby come across as stoned?

Oh of course! :tongue5: I asked Dh about this years ago and he said, "well don't you get it? They're stoners! this show was conceived in the 70s, during the stoner age.

SnuggleBuggles
08-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Admittedly, I have never seen this. But I totally thought this was going to be thread along the lines of "when did Scooby get so scary?". I don't remember being scared but when I tried to let DS watch an episode he was freaked out and we had to turn it off. Parenting fail.

I thought that would be the subject too. I made the boys turn it off today bc it has given both nightmares.

rlu
08-16-2012, 01:35 AM
I have always been a Scooby fan (I won't let DH toss my the colorform set from the 70s) but I am not a fan of the new show or the live-action movies. We watch the originals from the 60s and 70s (including the guest star ones) and the What's New Scooby Doo ones. I'm not a Scrappy fan so we don't watch those unless they are the DVDs we get from the library. I don't mind that Velma uses a laptop or that Daphne isn't quite so flighty (the best part of the Freddie Prinze movies was Daphne's kick-a**) in some of the newer animated movies - Abbracaddabra Doo, Legend of Vampire Rock and Where's My Mummy are favorites we've DVRd. I also like the Witches Curse and Zombie Island but DS doesn't (maybe too scary when he first watched a few years ago) but we have those on DVD so maybe we can try again.

I like the Hex Girls too.

eta: I never was one for soaps - except Dallas. I tried to watch General Hospital for Rick Springfield but couldn't get into it.

klwa
08-16-2012, 06:49 AM
*laughs* I saw one of those the other day when CN was left on & was sucked in. Tried to watch the next one, but the kids told me it was "boring", so I turned it back off. I'm still not sure what the heck was going on in the one I watched, but it was darn entertaining!

hillview
08-16-2012, 09:22 AM

I have no idea what that is. But I have DVDs of the original first season. I'm waiting for the kids to get a little older, cuz imo THOSE are creepy.

I thought that would be the subject too. I made the boys turn it off today bc it has given both nightmares.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

dogmom
08-16-2012, 10:00 AM
I have always been a Scooby fan (I won't let DH toss my the colorform set from the 70s) but I am not a fan of the new show or the live-action movies. We watch the originals from the 60s and 70s (including the guest star ones) and the What's New Scooby Doo ones. I'm not a Scrappy fan so we don't watch those unless they are the DVDs we get from the library. I don't mind that Velma uses a laptop or that Daphne isn't quite so flighty (the best part of the Freddie Prinze movies was Daphne's kick-a**) in some of the newer animated movies - Abbracaddabra Doo, Legend of Vampire Rock and Where's My Mummy are favorites we've DVRd. I also like the Witches Curse and Zombie Island but DS doesn't (maybe too scary when he first watched a few years ago) but we have those on DVD so maybe we can try again.

I like the Hex Girls too.

Hex Girls Rock!

My DH just think everyone is slowing Daphne down, LOL. We have all the Scooby Doo movies from the newer period (late 90's to now), and I like all of them to varying degrees. I think Mystery Incorporated is a nice update to the brand to try to suck in the tween crowd and in keeping with some of Cartoon Networks newer style of cartoons that adults can watch also.

I was a huge Scooby Doo fan as a kid, I loved all the scary stuff, which probably explains why I didn't mind exposing my kids to it at a young age.

KDsMommy
08-16-2012, 10:06 AM
I love Scooby Doo and so does DS but we haven't seen any of these new ones. Now I am intrigued and determined to find out when they are on!

elbenn
08-16-2012, 10:36 AM
We have only watched the old school Scooby Doos. Are you joking about Tootie, Blair and Jo or are these really characters from the show Facts of Life?

Fairy
08-16-2012, 09:37 PM
We have only watched the old school Scooby Doos. Are you joking about Tootie, Blair and Jo or are these really characters from the show Facts of Life?

Mindy cohen plays velma now, so I was being witty. #fail?

We seriously love these, but they're not for the pre-k set, IMO. I let him start watching scooby when he turned 7. He scares easily.

The mythology behind all of them is complex, and it's really a very nice update to the brand, as someone mentioned. I'm just kinda shocked at how sucked in I am!