PDA

View Full Version : Which days would you choose to work at home?

KDsMommy
08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm a single WOH mama. I currently work at home one day a week on Fridays, but now have the option to add another work at home day. DS starts Kindy next week and will be in aftercare until about 5pm. The school is one mile from home and I will be dropping off and picking up.

So, do I work at home on Mondays as well, or choose another day to "break up" the week? What would you do?

crl
08-15-2012, 08:41 PM
I'd probably do Monday on the theory that there are more school holidays on Mondays, so it would be good to be at home that day. Are there often meetings at your work? Is there a day that would better for scheduling meetings, as in a day that there aren't very many for some reason?

Catherine

smiles33
08-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I work from home 1 day and do it every Monday because 1) traffic is heavier on Mondays than Fridays 2) more emails pile up over the weekend so Monday is a great day to focus on clearing out that without interruptions and 3) that's the day DH is home since he doesn't work on Mondays (it's the busiest day for parents so no one wants to bring their kids in to see him).

The only downside is then you'd have 2 consecutive days away from the office, so you don't see colleagues for 4 days. Not sure what kind of work you do but that's a lot of missing facetime (even though it's a weekend in the middle, it feels like a long time).

Jen841
08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I like consistency and I HATE Mondays. My kids are not Monday people, so anything to make Mondays easier I am all for it!

From a work standpoint it gives you 3 days in a row to do face time etc.

twowhat?
08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Yup Monday. The holidays reason would be my biggest one (though it will also make it a challenge to work if kids are home from school so it depends on how flexible your workplace is on this kind of thing). I work FT from home and haven't found facetime to be an issue so long as I make sure I'm communicating regularly by email/phone.

mom3boys
08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Probably Monday because of the holidays, the only issue I could possibly foresee is then you are gone from the office 4 days in a row, don't know if that presents a problem or leaves you feeling disconnected. Also after being in my house for 3 straight days, I personally kind of like getting out. So, if those are issues at all my 2nd choice would be Wednesday.

infocrazy
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Is there any weeknight activity that it would help to have no commute? For example ds1 has an early hockey practice on wed so that would be my choice. I agree with the Monday though but I'd move the Friday if you dont do both. Will they let you rotate it or does it need to bet set? I would kill for any way days!!!!!

California
08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Definitely Mondays, if it'll make it easier for you when your kid is off for school holidays. The first year my kids followed the school vacation schedule (which was in preschool, since their program followed the local school schedule) I was quite suprised at how many Monday/Friday holidays there are!