PDA

View Full Version : WWYD daycare issue

ray7694
08-15-2012, 11:18 PM
I have posted before about the fact that my sitter has a naptime. She requires the kids to lay on a cot for quiet time and my daughter falls asleep. I told the sitter last year only an hour because my daughter will NOT go to bed if she take a nap.

So here I am at 10:20 at night and she still is not asleep. I don't think I can take another year of dealing with her as I need some down time at night.

Any ideas of what I can suggest. Something she can do while the other kids sleep? I am at the point where I understand that my sitter needs a quiet time but I am paying her and I can't take it if my dd naps anymore.

She NEVER takes a nap with me and I took away the nap over a year ago because she wouldn't go to bed.

wellyes
08-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I believe most states require a rest time for any licensed daycare provider.

I would instead focus on making sure your daughter is getting enough exercise during the day. My DD will stay up way too late if she doesn't get an hour a day at least. Playground time, bouncing on a mini trampoline, long walks, dancing games (or lessons, even on DVD), stuff like that.

twowhat?
08-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Totally feel your pain. We are done with naps on the weekends (we do try to get them to play by themselves in their room for half an hour but they don't fall asleep) but they nap nearly every day at school, which means difficult bedtimes and staying up late, then waking up still tired. They'd do better with one solid long stretch at night. It's the pits! Especially nights like tonight when I have to work overtime. And it's a daycare center so they count on that naptime for their own breaks, shuffling of ratios, etc. It's one reason I'm looking forward to Kindy.

No advice, but maybe ask if she can let her look at books quietly or something. Is this an in-home daycare? I'd even be tempted to ask if she can watch TV for an hour in a separate room while the other kids nap!!

Exercise doesn't seem to make a difference for us. The girls can swim every night and still not go to bed until late because they napped, and honestly between trying to get dinner ready, bedtime routine, etc - I am too exhausted to play hard with them and it's too hot to do anything other than swim. And I really really want my quiet evening time too. Hope you can find a solution, because it really is painful!!

Mikey0709
08-16-2012, 10:05 AM
I also feel your pain and my MOM is my sitter. If my son falls asleep - she lets him sleep AS LONG AS HE WANTS TO! ARGH! She doesn't get it that when i get home from work at 6pm I can't deal with him up until 11pm - - cause I FALL ASLEEP while watching him. And more exercise doesn't help - - it's just like he's recharged and goes and goes into the late hours...

it's even worse if he falls asleep on her later in the day!!!

Good luck with your sitter - imagine how hard it is to tell your mom when she says - but he needs his rest???

daisysmom
08-16-2012, 10:13 AM
I remember going through this with our nanny when my DD was 3.25 years. My nanny also loved my DD's naps b/c she got freetime for 3+ hours (b/c DD wouldn't fall asleep until 3 pm then sleep until 5:30). It drove me crazy. So we insisted on elimination too. I don't know the regulations of daycare providers, but I wish you the best. I really need my night time free time too. Last night my DD didn't go to bed until 9:30 and I was pulling my hair out then too.

dogmom
08-16-2012, 10:33 AM
See if you can set up a "quiet time" option. They do this in all day kindergarten because it is required by law in my state. One hour of rest time. They need to stay on their rest mat. They have a box for rest time with quite activity stuff (drawing, puzzles, etc.). So kids can either sleep or play quietly, no talking to other kids. You could pick out something she really wants to do for the quiet time and she will probably not sleep.

amldaley
08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
As Wellyes said, most states have a "rest period" regulation for licensed childcare providers. I also agree about exercise...DD1 is a mess of nighttime energy if she does not get serious, solid, active time. She has to burn off that energy.

Have you spoken to her about moving the nap time earlier in the day?

Also, I have recently observed that if DD gets ANY sugar with 2-3 hours of bedtime, including fruit or starch, she is impossible.

As for activities, reading on her cot, or playing with one quiet toy is all most stae regs allow.

wendibird22
08-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Our state requires a rest period. DD1 stopped napping this past year and the DCP permitted her to look at books or color quietly.

AngB
08-18-2012, 12:07 AM
In our state, most schools have gone to full day kindergarten and have a nap/rest time as part of it.

hillview
08-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Can DD do an quiet activity or maybe even watch a short TV show? Honestly my nannies were not allowed to give DS2 a nap after he was 2.5 as he would not go to sleep if he napped. I am sure it was a pain but well that was our rule.

Jupiter
08-18-2012, 07:06 PM
My sister had the same problem with my niece. She asked them and most of the time they could allow her to color or read or help. (She loved that). It was a daycare center and she was able to help with the babies. Just a thought. I hope they will help you because I remember how frustrating it was.