PDA

View Full Version : How Many "Diaper" bags do you own?

SoCalMommy
08-16-2012, 03:26 AM
And how old are you DC's?

I technically have only one diaper bag- the same one I have had since DD was born. She is now 21 months and I prefer to bring a large purse with some diapers, wipes, snacks and toys, unless we are going to be away from home for a while or eating at a restaurant. for me, less is more and I despise having to bring too much or more than one bag for everything, including my stuff, if I can help it.

For those with potty trained kids, do you still find that you are bringing a bag for their stuff or are you just putting snacks, books, etc in your purse?

I love my original bag (Skip Hop) but find it sits in the house or car more often these days.

lizzywednesday
08-16-2012, 09:03 AM
DD is 2 and so far she's an only. (I'd like to have 1 more.)

I started out with a large, zippered, canvas purse that I bought at Target. I added a changing pod, extra diapers (in zip-top baggies), changes of clothing, a roll of disposal baggies, my nursing cover, DD's meds and anything else I thought we'd need (DD's owls ...)

For DH's first Father's Day, I bought him this bag:

http://dadgear.com/products/79/Navy

He never uses it, so it's become my "all-day" pack.

Then the straps started to feel too short on the canvas purse and we were going on vacation ... and the bag seemed awfully small for a vacation (and the diaper bag didn't count against our carry-on luggage allowance.)

And Diapers.com had a sale going, so I bought a Kalencom bag in the same style as this Kalencom bag:

http://www.diapers.com/p/kalencom-coated-buckle-bag-geo-mirror-aqua-23141 (Mine is giraffe-print.)

Then I stopped packing the kitchen sink every time we went out, so I used a mini sling-pack that I got as a giveaway from a drug company sponsoring a charity walk I've done since 2004.

It's just big enough to fit a changing pad, several diapers, a pack of wipes, "butt spray" and a straw cup.

We also use this toddler-sized backpack by SkipHop:

http://www.skiphop.com/product/21020.html (DD's is an owl; she loves owls.)

I also upgraded our changing pads because the vinyl one I bought at first was still off-gassing (ew) and the one that came in the Kalencom bag shredded in the washer. I now have three of these, which I love:

http://www.mommystouch.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=132&lang=en (I think I might even get a couple for my sister.)

So, based on that, I guess I have 5 diaper bags.

When she's potty trained, the SkipHop toddler pack is big enough to hold a change of clothing (and shoes), wipes, her cup and a small picture book, so she won't be occupying any room in my purse.

hillview
08-16-2012, 09:24 AM
when I had 2 in diapers I had 4. Skip hop, lands end and 2 others i cannot remember what they were

TwoBees
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I have one who is potty training. I have 2 diaper bags: a Skip Hop Studio tote which I rarely use any more, and a Skip Hop Versa which I use all the time. I also use an LLBean Stowaway pack for dipes, wipes, water, and a snack (plus my own stuff) when we go to the park, and a medium purse for the same when we go run errands.

BabbyO
08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
We have 2, we've always had 2.

One is larger and what we use as an overnight bag for when the kids stay at Grandma & Grandpa's.

The other is the Columbia Trekster which we LOVE!! My boys are 3 yo and almost 1 yo. Until about 2 weeks ago both were in diapers (now DS1 is PTing). We routinely carry diapers for both (only 1-2 for DS1 now), 1-2 changes of clothes for each, wipes, A&D, some small toys for each, snacks (crackers or granola bars), mommy's wallet, sunscreen, several pairs of undies for DS1 and shorts, and my sling to carry DS2, a couple pads (nursing and sanitary), some lotion, Tylenol. This bag is like the clown car of bags...and I love it for that!

queenmama
08-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I have just one for my almost-4-month-old:
http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/baby-nappy-bags/oi-oi/oi-oi-ethnic-monochrome-messenger-nappy-bag.html

I have several extra-large purses and totes (my best friend calls them my Mary Poppins bags or carpet bags), so when I don't need to carry diapers and assorted young baby paraphernalia I just use a big bag. I thought that plan would work now, but I really needed a bag with interior pockets to organize her stuff. Almost all of my bags are of the "black hole" variety, which makes it difficult to find what you need in a hurry. Having a bag with interior pockets makes it so much more convenient. I have a wristlet and a tiny cosmetic case that goes in the diaper bag so I'm not also carrying a purse.

When Henry potty trained I just used one of my non-diaper bag bags for everything.

crl
08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I have a nine year old and a two year old, who is not potty trained yet. I have one true diaper bag. I pretty much only use it when we are traveling.

I also have an overland equipment donner bag that I bought when my older ds was about two. It's handy for longer outings because I can put three or four diapers and some wipes in it and put Kleen kanteens with water in the two water bottle slots. It is smaller than my diaper bag.

For everyday, I keep a skip hop saddle bag attached to my stroller with one diaper and a few wipes in it. And I keep one diaper and some wipes in my purse. That covers me for outings that are just a couple of hours. I also have a few diapers and wipes in the car in case of emergency.

Catherine

edurnemk
08-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I have 4 :bag

I have a JJ Cole System bag since DS, it tore and JJ Cole replaced it. When he started walking I wanted something more "wearable" so I got a cross body backpack from PBK. Then the second JJ Cole started tearing (it's a design problem) so I got another JJCole but a different model. It's in perfectly good shape, so is the one from PBK, but when I was expecting DD I wanted a new one, it was really just a whim, so I got the Skip Hop Studio bag (on sale at $40).

So now I have one in diapers and 4 diaper bags. Don't tell DH! :rotflmao:

When DS was an older toddler and an outing was short, I'd just stick a couple of diapers and a travel pack of wipes in my purse. When DS was PT'd and didn't have accidents anymore I stopped using the diaper bags except for travel. I got a large purse from Coach and I just put his snacks and a small water bottle in there, maybe a couple of small toys.

azazela
08-16-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a slight Ju Ju Be obsession :bag so I've had quite a few over the years. Currently with a 5 year old and a still-in-diapers 2 year old I switch it up between this roomy tote with handy sippy/bottle pockets (http://www.amazon.com/Ju-Ju-Be-Mighty-Diaper-Shadow-Waltz/dp/B003UERRRM) and a small backpack that Ju Ju Be no longer makes. I use the tote in cold weather and any time I need extra room to stow stuff. I use the little back pack when I need to be hands free and don't need too many extras beyond diapers/snacks/sippys. I have matching messenger straps for the totes so I can be hands free with those if needed as well.

candaceb
08-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Once I was needing less "stuff" for outings, I got a Hot Mama Handbag. It has worked really well, but I still take the diaper bag (now I use a Babymel Amanda - originally had a Skip Hop Duo Deluxe) when we go out to eat or for traveling.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/marandalee

mackmama
09-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I have a slight Ju Ju Be obsession :bag so I've had quite a few

Yeh that! I have one DC and had 5 diaper bags at one time. Yikes! Sold them and now have 1 diaper bag but am transitioning to using a purse instead.

azazela
09-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Yeh that! I have one DC and had 5 diaper bags at one time. Yikes! Sold them and now have 1 diaper bag but am transitioning to using a purse instead.

Would that by chance be the new HoboBe? :loveeyes:

mackmama
09-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Actually I'm branching out to a non-diaper bag handbag (Michael Kors Astor). The one diaper bag I have and love is the BeFab in black EL. It mainly stays in the car though, as I dont really need to carry around something so big anymore now that DC is older.

Are you getting the HoboBe?

azazela
09-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Actually I'm branching out to a non-diaper bag handbag (Michael Kors Astor). The one diaper bag I have and love is the BeFab in black EL. It mainly stays in the car though, as I dont really need to carry around something so big anymore now that DC is older.

Are you getting the HoboBe?

I think so. I want the TokiDoki collaboration one I think. Haven't decided yet.

daniele_ut
09-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a very old Skip Hop Duo that we use mainly as a church bag to carry things to keep the big kids busy during church and then my day to day bag is a JuJuBe Be Spicy that is being replaced with a BFF later this week. I'll probably sell the Be Spicy since I really don't need another bag, let alone such a huge one!

AnnieW625
09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I have/had two.

The had is an Eddie Bauer Diaper Bag that I used with DD1 for 3 yrs. almost non stop. DH now uses it as a hunting bag. It is a suprising light bag and he likes it for that use now. He also uses the hospital diaper bags we got from DD1 for this as well.

Right now I am using a Jujube Be Spicy bag I got when I was pregnant with DD2, and have used it since. I like it a lot, but right now with a 2/1/2 yr. old I am almost ready to be done with it.

With DD1 I also used a Seatbelt Bag Executive tote because I thought it looked cooler than carrying around the Eddie Bauer bag so we would use that for times when we took the baby nice places and such (classic first time parenting:bag) and I was concerned about people looking at my manly Eddie Bauer bag (I live in a hip area where people carry Gucci, Kate Spade, and Coach diaper bags so I had to look the part:shake:). I will say that this bag is a great travel bag and I use almost everytime I go on an airplane trip because it holds lots of stuff. I thought about selling it but now I am very glad I didn't. It is easy to clean as well.

mommylamb
09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I have 3, but one of them never gets used. The one I use the most is a skip hop bag that was given to me by a fantastic BBB mom when I was pregnant with DS2. I also use the PBK one shoulder cross back backpack that I've had since DS1 was a baby. That one is a great, unisex diaper bag that DH can easily take with him. I've had dads on the playground ask me where I got it, but PBK doesn't make it any more. And then I have an Eddie Bauer one that I dislike, but registered for when I was pregnant with DS1 and didn't know what I was doing.

hollissmama
03-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I have 2 petunia pickle bottom bags for when our third arrives in June. A boxy and a sashay satchel. But for my 3 and 5yr old I just throw things in my car or in my coach hobo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
03-03-2013, 01:00 PM
I have one, a fleurville that I got through their clearance event. Did great through ds1 and ds2. Now I am over carrying a diaper bag, so I just have a large coach bag that works just fine :-)

swissair81
03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
I have 3 at the moment. I might have more, but my flood boxes are still not unpacked for most rooms. I have a PPB backpack (not a boxy, I don't know what it's called), a bag that I love but cannot remember the name of to save my life, and my current favorite was a present from my husband when we went to Disney in January http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009R4HGKC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
We had too much stuff that was loose as we were leaving an so proposed going back into the store we bought our ears at to ask for a plastic bag. My DH said he would go and after a few minutes he came back with this and a little plush classic minnie inside. It was super sweet and I love it.

I currently have 2 in diapers and I also keep a change of underwear and pants inside in case we can't find a bathroom in time for my 4year old DS.

AustenFan
03-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I've had the same LE backpack diaper bag for the past 6 years. Since weaning DD2 a year ago, I pretty much always leave it in the car unless I'm dropping DD2 off at church nursery. I did use a little clutch with a couple pull-ups when DD1 was potty training, since she and DD1 were in different rooms at church. I'd toss it in the main diaper bag most of the time and just pull it out to go with DD1 at church. But otherwise, it's always just been easier to have one main bag and know what's in it.

It will be an adjustment for me to start carrying a diaper bag around all the time again when #4 gets here (if #4 ever decides to come out...)!

ETA: I realize I didn't answer the age part of your question, OP. DD2 is about the same age as yours, and if I weren't about to have another one, I do think I totally could get away with sticking a couple things in my purse for her.

Still-in-Shock
03-05-2013, 04:46 AM
I just got a bag from a SIL, but it wasn't the one I picked out. It's a Petunia Pickle Bottom knapsack, and I'm sure she spent a small fortune on it, but it looks like I would have to be a deep sea diver to find anything in it. I decided that I will use it for travelling, since I can't return it! Or maybe I'll let DH use it?

I am now torn between a Gitta Beauty (with the active fold) http://www.theboysdepot.com/red-gittabag-102-red-with-light-blue.html
and a Baby Cargo Georgi http://www.target.com/p/baby-cargo-georgi-stroller-bag/-/A-14364256#prodSlot=small_1_72. Good things about both, but both are different.

mom2khj
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
I have 4, technically, but I only ever used 1 at a time.

I have two Ju-Ju-Be's that I used exclusively when DS was much younger (one is a lighter spring/summer print and the other a darker fall/winter print).

Since we're out of the bring everything with you stage I've switched to a Vera Bradly tote. I have two though, one is really big for long (all day or multiple day) needs and the other is my main bag that I use most often. The bigger bag gets used for more than just a diaper bag as well, DD1 uses it frequently for sleepovers.

BayGirl2
03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I have, um, several Ju Ju Be and one PPB diaper bags (I won't share my number :rotflmao:). A couple medium size for half day type excursions and several smaller that are more purse-like, and a bigger backpack that I use for air travel. Yea, I know its more than what I functionally need but I like the variety of prints and types for different needs and moods. I switch out about once a week, often more. I also buy most used and resell what I don't need. Its a bit of an addiction, but its harmless.

My DCs are 1 PT'd and 1 in cloth diapers. For the first year of PT'ing I needed 2 backup pants for DS at all times, he had a lot of accidents plus a newborn, so I carried a lot. Now I need less for him, but for both kids I need entertainment in restaurants and other basics plus baby stuff for DD. I also sometimes only take one kid with me so I use a smaller bag in those cases.

My diaper bag is my purse, I rarely take a separate purse for me. I use a JJB Be Mine or Be Major and move my personal items from one to another bag as I need to.

essnce629
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
My kids are 9 1/2 and almost 4 and I own 7(?) diaper bags, but have been using the same one for about 2 years now (since DS2 potty trained).

I have a small Petunia Picklebottom clutch that I LOVE and just carry my stuff and a pair of extra underwear in a ziploc for DS2 and a travel size pack of hand wipes and Clorox wipes. He's in charge of carrying his own water bottle and he also carries his own backpack now when we go out to restaurants, longer car rides, etc that has his stuff to keep him occupied (Leappad, coloring stuff, books, etc). I do carry a snack size ziploc with 2 pieces of paper folded up and a few crayons for him as well for emergency situations! Sometimes I throw in a few party favor sized packs of Wikki Stix as well since they keep both kids occupied.

I keep an emergency diaper bag in the car at all times (and have since they were newborns) that has full changes of clothes and sweatshirts for both kids as well as a blanket, washcloth, microfiber towel, trash bag, feminine products for me, first aid kit, etc. The stuff in the emergency bag has been utilized MANY times throughout the past 9+ years (pee accidents, muddy clothes, sudden temperature drops, bloody noses, cut fingers, etc)!

BabbyO
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Technically 3.
1. The Columbia Trekster diaper bag we use All.The.Time
2. An Eddie Bauer diaper bag that only gets used for overnights
3. A freebie from the hospital that I used to transport my pump to and from work. - I'm done pumping so this one is just sitting in the basement unused.

The only other diaper bags we've had were freebies from the hospital and I've given them all away. We bought the two we have before Stachio was born and haven't ever used anything else. One of the few things we bought and use them exactly as intended and haven't replaced. My kids are 18 mo and 3.5 yo.

audys
09-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Ho boy, I really LOVE bags and have many diaper bags and purses. I use some of my diaper bags as just general travel bags too (Ju Ju Be Prepared as a travel carry on). I've had Land's End, Eddie Bauer, Fleurville sling tote, Ju Ju Be (all styles), Petunia Picklebottom, Vera Bradley, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, and a few that are no longer available. I find the machine washability of the Ju Ju Be to be an amazing feature - even with a 4 and 9 year old my bags occasionally have a spill and bath. I've gotten rid of all the bags over the years except Ju Ju Be and Kate Spade. The cardboard in the bottom of the Vera Bradleys is a problem and it's not water resistant (rain, water parks, pools, etc), and ditto for the PPB. My purses have not worked well as diapers bags because of the mess factor for me (snacks, drinks, sticky kid hands, etc).

okinawama
09-27-2013, 03:35 PM
In the traditional sense of the word, none I guess. I own two very large purses and stuff them full. If I'm carrying it around regularly, I want it to look ok with what I'm wearing (which sounds terribly vain....but really, I'm not!), so I've never been a diaper bag person.

symesa
10-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a slight Ju Ju Be obsession :bag so I've had quite a few over the years.

Yup. In fact, I really can't begin to remember all I've had over the past 8 years. DH would be appalled! So, focusing on the current baby - I have one diaper bag I use! When DD3 gets older, I'll switch to my JJB purse so I guess that is two.

Now, what do I need to sell? 4 JuJuBes, 2 Lands End, 1 Skip Hop. Luckily, I gave away a few when my cousins had babies. Diaper bags, handbags, shoes, coats - who can have just one?

mackmama
02-03-2014, 12:20 AM
DC is 3yo, and I've switched over to carrying a purse. I still have a load diaper bag in my car though.

specialp
02-03-2014, 12:39 AM
2. I have a large diaper bag that is well stocked and stays in the car and never gets used. I've used it for several years and it looks new because it never sees any action. I used to throw what I needed into my purse, but that didn't help DH out so I bought a small piazza day bag that is the everyday bag. I never could get into diaper bags. I like purses, but never could find a diaper bag I loved as much so I just bought bigger purses.

mommylamb
02-03-2014, 08:29 AM
I have 2. The one I mainly use is a Skip Hop Studio. I also have a PBK one shoulder backpack that they no longer make, and I love that one, but it's smaller than the studio. The backpack is great for DH to use because it doesn't look like a purse.

I have 2 kids, but only 1 in diapers.