PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Figure this out - Toddler Rash

marymoo86
08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
DD has had a rash a couple of different times in the past 2 weeks. I thought it might be a heat rash as it looks similar to that - actually a cross between that and hives. It occurs down the backside of her arms down to her wrists. It only shows after daycare as I notice it at dinner time.

It happened yesterday but she was running outside when I picked her up. It isn't a normal spot for heat and she was wearing short sleeves. Not sure what she could have come in contact with to have a histamine reaction. It does go away mostly by bedtime. Any ideas?

AnnieW625
08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Had she eaten anything before you noticed it? I would ask the DCP what if anything they are putting on her arms before you pick her up? Sunscreen? I would take her to the dr. if you are really concerned. My DD1 has eczema and her eczema is worse after she uses dial type soaps all day long (occaisionally at a public bathroom at store use is okay, but when she uses it all day long it gets worse), however eczema doesn't go away without putting a topical cream on it. DD1 recently got eczema on her face from some Target brand sunscreen stick.

lizzywednesday
08-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I noticed a weird rash on my DD at daycare p.m. on very hot days that they'd also provided thawed strawberries at breakfast. However, unlike your DD's rash, it was on my DD's chest & back ... and it went away after I gave her a cool bath, which made me suspect it was heat rash.

HOWEVER ... DD doesn't react to fresh strawberries (I buy organic) but some of the frozen kind have syrup and/or red dye (which I don't give DD as a general rule because I can taste it, so it makes me squicky thinking about giving it to her.)

I provide DD's sunscreen to daycare and she'd had no problems with it earlier in the summer (we've been using it daily since May) so the only oddball thing in the mix was the thawed berries. She hasn't had any since ... nor has she had any rashes, so I'm going with the berry hypothesis.

catsnkid
08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
My 2 experiences with mysterious rashes have been: red face and zits on hands after eating corn, and then- flea bites!!

marymoo86
08-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Had she eaten anything before you noticed it? I would ask the DCP what if anything they are putting on her arms before you pick her up? Sunscreen? I would take her to the dr. if you are really concerned. My DD1 has eczema and her eczema is worse after she uses dial type soaps all day long (occaisionally at a public bathroom at store use is okay, but when she uses it all day long it gets worse), however eczema doesn't go away without putting a topical cream on it. DD1 recently got eczema on her face from some Target brand sunscreen stick.

I noticed a weird rash on my DD at daycare p.m. on very hot days that they'd also provided thawed strawberries at breakfast. However, unlike your DD's rash, it was on my DD's chest & back ... and it went away after I gave her a cool bath, which made me suspect it was heat rash.

HOWEVER ... DD doesn't react to fresh strawberries (I buy organic) but some of the frozen kind have syrup and/or red dye (which I don't give DD as a general rule because I can taste it, so it makes me squicky thinking about giving it to her.)

I provide DD's sunscreen to daycare and she'd had no problems with it earlier in the summer (we've been using it daily since May) so the only oddball thing in the mix was the thawed berries. She hasn't had any since ... nor has she had any rashes, so I'm going with the berry hypothesis.

That was the first thing I thought of but I saw it prior to her eating dinner. I provide her sunscreen and no reaction there. I also provide her meals as well at daycare. I'm stumped b/c it has only occurred on the backside of her arms - maybe an allergic reaction to something out side? Since it goes away not sure if the doctor can do anything b/c its not there. Only thing I can think of is that she did have a fresh mosquito bite both times. Would that cause this kind of reaction plus the bite area?

Here's a pic - not sure how helpful. Hard to get an image of it.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7797120734_2beaf93825.jpg

lizzywednesday
08-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Some people are really sensitive to bug bites, which, after you mentioned the mosquito bites, is my next thought.

Try an antihistamine, either topical or oral, and see if it helps reduce the redness & swelling. If your pediatrician has a nurse/triage line, call them to see if their advice is any different.

Another thought, could your DD have come into contact with poison ivy? That's my only other suggestion after a fierce reaction to bug bites.

I hope she's feeling better soon, though.

marymoo86
08-16-2012, 06:16 PM
i think it might be cinnamon

eating with her right now and its appearing - sweet potatoes and cinnamon

she was fine before eating and now its appeared.