PDA

View Full Version : s/o: Half or Full Day Kindergarten

wellyes
08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Would you prefer full or half day kindergarten for your kids, if you had a stay at home parent available? I am a SAHM and DD is going to kindy next year. Trying to decide whether to join the lottery for the full day option.

I've always thought that half day would be better... transitioning to school 5 days a week, still lots of time at home at that precious young age. But reading posts here makes me wonder if full day would be better. Learn the same stuff at a more leisurely pace, with more time to play.

Poll coming!!

crl
08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I think it depends a bit on your kid. My ds was not ready for K, IMO. If it had been 1/2 day, I might have sent him. But I didn't think he could hold it together for a full day. Our only option was full day so we had him do an extra year of preschool.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Private school, 8:30-2:15 m-h and 8:30-11:15 on Fridays. We loved the schedule.

ciw
08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Private school, 8:30-2:15 m-h and 8:30-11:15 on Fridays. We loved the schedule.

I think that would be an awesome schedule! In my ideal world, DS would go to kindergarten for about 5 hours a day. That's not an option here though, so he'll go for 7 hours a day next year. As I posted in the other thread, I am worried about the transition from half-day pre-K to full-day K. If I had a choice between half-day (3-4 hours) and full-day kindergarten (7 hours), I honestly don't know which I'd pick. However, if DS was doing half-day K, I would definitely pick mornings -- DS is much more focused in the morning. I guess that would depend on the child -- some kids do better in the afternoon.

LMPC
08-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh, I misread the poll. I voted full day, because that's what our county public schools are....but I would prefer 1/2 day (maybe 9-1p). That would be ideal IMO!

TwoBees
08-16-2012, 01:10 PM
I would prefer full day, but our district doesn't offer it. DH and I both work full time outside of the home, and DD goes to daycare/preschool 5 days a week from 9-5 so it wouldn't be a transition for us. With the half day, we will have to enroll DD in an afternoon program and arrange transportation. :thumbsdown: Hoping the district might change things before she's ready for kindy though.

maestramommy
08-16-2012, 01:13 PM
I am a sahm, and for my kids I prefer half day. Based on my observation full day would just way too much. As it was the first 2 months were brutal. To that end I also prefer am Kindy. Dora and Arwyn had pm school last year and it was pretty awful until they adjusted which took about 2 months. Dora went to a full day summer camp 2 weeks after school was out, and it was really too much for her, in retrospect.

it really depends on the kid though. For a lot of kids half day to too short. Now I do think our half day is too short. It's 2 hours 4 minutes. Not making it 3 hours, esp. because of logistics, is really lame. But the other end would be almost 6.5 hours. Our district does offer K Plus, which is basically am Kindy, plus "enrichment," for a fee of $5k a year. Not worth it, imo, unless I were working. And it would make the day too long.

SkyrMommy
08-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I voted full day because that is what our district offers, but honestly when DD & DS reach kindy age, I'm really seriously considering homeschooling.

The day seems so long, 9:30 (bus pickup for us would be around 8:45) through 3:30 with dropping off around 4:15 inthe afternoon... I also miss teaching and am really having fun working on preschool homeschooling with DD now.

fivi2
08-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh, I misread the poll. I voted full day, because that's what our county public schools are....but I would prefer 1/2 day (maybe 9-1p). That would be ideal IMO!

:yeahthat:

baileygirl
08-16-2012, 01:21 PM
I didn't vote, because it would really depend on how long half day was. I have noticed some places it is only 2 hours, which I think is too short. DS1 just started K this week and their days are 5.5 hours (so shorter then a normal school day) and he is miserable. I do think he will be fine in a couple of weeks, but I don't enjoy picking up an overly tired kid.

Binkandabee
08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Our district offers parents an option for full or half day kindergarten. Of the 100+ kindergarten kids at my DD's school (split into multiple classrooms of course), exactly one parent opted for the half day.

o_mom
08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
It really depends on the hours of a particular program and the child. A 2-2.5 hr everyday would not appeal to me. Until this year, our district did an alternating day program where they went two full days and one half day. That was perfect for us and I think would have fit DS3's needs well. However, they eliminated it and went to full day every day for all K students. Unfortunately they waited until the school year was almost over to decide that so we did not have time to really explore private options, nor did we want to pay for them.

brgnmom
08-16-2012, 01:34 PM
We opted for the full-time option, partly because the commute to the private school could take up to 25 to 30 mins each way and the part-time option would have ended before lunch. Many of my son's friends were signed up for the full-time schedule and so we paid the extra $$$ to sign him up for that as well. No regrets, and I'm glad that his full-time schedule from last year will help him transition to first grade. We decided on switching him to the more academically challenging public school track this year - much shorter commute, excellent API scores, etc. Ds will have to adapt to a new school environment, but I feel comfortable knowing that he could handle the full-time schedule.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-16-2012, 01:51 PM
I voted full day and that is what K is here in our school district (7:50-2:50). Less $$ i would have to pay for aftercare, and i think DS has the personality that he could handle it (though the napping issue might be one..i could see him still needing naps in K!) I think even if i was still a SAHM by that point I would still prefer a full day..that way i'd have all day to spend with my younger DC (at least for 1 year).

khalloc
08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Full day. Honestly I dont understand the point of half day kindergarten. What can they do in 3 hours? Even with full day Kindergarten my DD had a 20 min snack time in the morning, then 45 min for lunch and recess. By the time you get kids settled between different activities, you lose more time there. And its not like Kindergarten is sitting at desks and studying from a book. My DD was doing nature walks, raising catapillers to butterflies - fun stuff for kids! Her bus picked her up at 8am and dropped her off at 3:15pm. I thought It was perfect.

Most people I know that are anxious about their kids starting full-day Kindergarten are SAH parents and have stayed home with their kids for the most part. I understand that concern I guess. Leaving your kids is hard especially since you get little control over what happens at a public school. But my experience has been a wonderful one. I wasnt anxious about her starting though since I have worked FT since she was a baby. The one thing I was anxious about was the bus drop off after school since she was going to an after school daycare. But that has worked out so far (knock on wood!)

My kids have both gone to daycare/preschool/pre-K full time since they were babies. they handle an entire day just fine. Drop off at 7:45, pick up at 4:45. Kids can do an entire day away from home. I think half day is OK to have as a choice, but as a working parent, I would hate if my district only offered half day. Thats alot of extra work on the part of WOHPs to figure out where kids go from there and not to mention the extra cost of paying for after school care when its 4-5 hours a day instead of 2. JMO.

newmomto1
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Both of my kids did full day....
Actually, DD just started this week...and LOVES it!
The hours are 8:20-3:15.
She gets on the bus just before 8:00 and gets home at 3:30.
Both of my kids had a seamless transition from preschool to kindergarten.
For their last year of preschool they went 5 days/week from 9-12...but I often signed them up to stay until 1:00 for lunch, or occasionally until 3:00 for an "extended day".
Both of my kids also go to day camp for 6 weeks in the summer and for the year prior to kindergarten it is 9-3:30...so that might have helped to prepare them as well for the longer days.
Our district recently got rid f the option to do half day kindergarten....but honestly I think my kids would have been really disappointed if they didn't get to stay the whole day.
Now...I will say that for DS the transition from kindergarten to 1st grade was NOT GOOD!
I think kindergarten was more of a continuation of preschool for him....beacause they got more play time, rest time, etc. When he got to 1st grade and was expected to work more it was really tough. It took at least the first half of the school year for him to fully adjust. Luckily he had an awesome teacher who really helped him and us through it!

schrocat
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
DS1 went to full day Kindergarten. It was a total waste of time. He didn't learn much there. DS2 will be going to half day Kindergarten because you have to pay $3000 for full day Kindergarten in our area. I'm pleased that we have the half day option so that he can go to Chinese immersion Kindergarten in the afternoon.

AnnieW625
08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I voted full day, but almost could have voted other as well.

If the cirriculum is more advanced and there is extra time for activities like art, PE, and in the classroom reading time or other creative time then I am all for full day kindergarten whether I working full time or staying home full time.

A trained teacher could probably do a better job at keeping my 5 yr. old entertained with additional options for creative play than I could do being at home with a 1 yr. old (based on the ages of my kids a year ago when DD1 started kinder.) who was probably still needing to nap at the time and having a defiant 5 yr. old who did not want to nap anymore and potentially be causing a ruckous. With full day kinder that gets out at 2:50 or 3 pm even with a long napper with a little training a nap time from 11:30 to 2:00 (as long as they get lunch at 11 am) would be very doable for me.

KrisM
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Having gone through 2 kids in kindergarten already, I would pick full-day. Before DS1 started, I thought half would be best. But, schools do so much more in kindergarten and 1st grade now, that I think having the transition to full-day in kindergarten makes 1st grade much easier on the kids. They're ready to be there all day when the academics start to pick up a bit.

hellokitty
08-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I've had both experiences with my older two. I do feel that half day suited da1's personality better, but I think he would have been fine in full day. Ds2 always complained that he was bored during half day preschool, so it was easy to try to get full day for him (lottery and tuition). Ds3 is JUST like ds2, and I hope he will be lucky enough to get full day K.

okinawama
08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
After teaching kindergarten, I can't imagine being able to fit everything into half day, so I voted full day.

StantonHyde
08-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Both my kids did full day from 8:30-3:30. They had been part time in day care (3-4 days a week, all day) since they were 3 mos old though. I work 2-3 days a week so needed full day. They did great in full day. With DS, I had him stay in aftercare 4-5 days a week and that was not good. When he got to first grade, I realized he needed to be picked up most days. Now they have 1-2 days of aftercare a week. Otherwise, they are tired and need to come home to chill. But half day just would have been way too short for them. They had lots of extra time for art, Spanish, PE, computer, library, Music etc. And it was good because then I didn't have to put them in extra curriculars for those activities--they did them as part of school. Plus recess play time which is VERY important according to them!!

ETA: We actually put our kids in private kindy so we could have guaranteed full day. Plus the full day kindy here is for kids who need extra help. A friend did the half day and then paid for enrichment and aftercare because she works. Enrichment was basically a great science and social studies curriculum and her kids really liked it. I think it goes to show how much you can really cover in a full day with kids and they are sponges that want that extra learning!

KAK22
08-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I am a teacher and used to teach half day Kindergarten. It was a daily marathon that I got to do twice. It was just over 2 hours, so nowhere near enough time.

About 5 years ago we went to full day and our kids are so much more prepared for 1st grade. DD went to full day Kindergarten 2 years ago and even though the first few months were rough in the evenings it was so much better last year in first grade.

As a mom, I think the transition can be tough in either Kindergarten or 1st grade. There were days DD would fall asleep in the car on the 10 minute drive home. I'm glad DD got the extra academics she was ready for in a full day of Kindergarten.

As a teacher, our last students who only had half day kindergarten are just now leaving elementary school and they are so far behind academically where they should be. Our kiddos who had full day are so much better off. (I teach in a VERY high impact - low income area with more than 30 languages spoken in my building alone).

JBaxter
08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
My oldest 2 did 1/2 day. I was SO glad they had an enrichment program through the YMCA child care. 2.5 hrs is crazy trying to get everything in. HANDS DOWN full day. I would pay for private full day for Jack when he goes.

hillview
08-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Depends on the child. DS1 might have been ok with half day although by that time he really liked full day school. DS2 NEEDS a full day.

nfceagles
08-16-2012, 08:35 PM
My preference is half day, which fortunately both my children have/will have. I just like having the time with them and like the transition from 3 day/wk preschool to full day 1st grade. Half days are perfect to me bc i get a break from them and a chance to get things done but i still have half a day to do fun things with them or just let them play freely. For my kids at least, academically they didn't/won't learn anything new in kindergarten besides the structure and routine of a school day so I figure they might as well be home with me.

smilequeen
08-16-2012, 08:49 PM
I prefer full day and I imagine, with the direction we are going in this country, everyone will have it sooner rather than later. I don't agree with the direction, but it's what we're doing. K is getting more academic all the time. I have a few friends who are kindy teachers and they don't like half day b/c they can't squeeze everything in and schools are taking away things like recess and specials from those little kids (who need that time so much) to make it all fit. I'd prefer all day with a few recesses, specials, etc.

My boys do Montessori and the full day was nothing for my oldest, seamless. My middle did a few full days a week last year in preschool to get used to it and he loved the afternoons. So I think the 5 full days will be fine with him too.

carolinamama
08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
For my kids, I prefer full day. DS1 was very ready for (and needed) a full day of school. I think DS2 will also be more than ready for full day K in 2 years since he started begging me to stay for extended day last year in preschool since he's only enrolled in mornings.

kerridean
08-16-2012, 09:07 PM
We had full day KD for both girls when we lived in San Antonio. We have since moved and I am back to work. I was a SAHM then and I LOVED the full day KD! It was wonderful and they learn so much more!

belovedgandp
08-16-2012, 09:53 PM
We have a lottery and fee-based full day K option. I chose to send my kids to afternoon 1/2 day K.

I am a SAHM and the monthly fee is close to $300 a month for all day versus no fee for 1/2 day. I can do a lot of activities with my kid with those funds instead. I am not working and do not need to rush back into the workforce.

I like afternoon K. My second of third kids is in afternoon K this year. I still have little ones that take afternoon naps, so I like dropping off the K student and going home for naptime. Works better for us than doing morning K where we would come home and have to be quiet for the younger one to nap. Better to run around and do our activities - music class, gymnastics, library - in the morning. Plus when I send my youngest none of the stores are open until 10 and I'd have to pick up at 11:30. I can only do so much damage at the grocery store and Target.

When my oldest was in K it was the first year our elementary had 1/2 and all day options. The first grade teachers all said they could tell the all day kids at the beginning of the year because they were used to the routine and all day thing, but by October could not distinguish between those who had done 1/2 or full day. That helped me with some of the push for more academics that full day can give.

mom3boys
08-17-2012, 11:07 AM
I wish there was an option for like, a 4 hour day.

2.5 hours is too short, six hours-ish is too long. My son was exhausted last year in Full-day K, even though he had full day PreK the year before (the PreK had a nap time and was mostly play-based, by K they were sitting in assigned seats with virtually no toys in the classroom, plus they didn't offer enough recess and he also had homework, so they "day" seemed to never end!)

However with the choices being 2.5/3 hours or full-day, I would probably pick full day, even if I was a SAHM (which, I'm not). The reason being--when I have an older kid in school and a LO at home, I like having one-on-one time with the LO, and also the ability to get some serious errands done. If my kid was only at school for 2.5 hours--if I have to do a pick up or a drop off, and the baby needs a morning nap, well, large grocery shopping trip is off the table.

If the kid is my last kid, I would still like full-day because the drop-off and pick up will be the same time as older kids, so I don't have to make multiple trips (My kids live close to school and there is no bus option for us, so the dropoff/pickup is a big deal). Plus, at that point if I had been a SAHM I could think about maybe some part-time work. I can't do that if the kid is only gone for a couple of hours.

Also, may sound weird but our property taxes are very high in this area and I'd want to get what I "paid" for. Assuming full day does not cost extra, I would feel like "I'm paying for this, I might as well use it!"

wellyes
08-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Also, may sound weird but our property taxes are very high in this area and I'd want to get what I "paid" for. Assuming full day does not cost extra, I would feel like "I'm paying for this, I might as well use it!"
For us, it is an extra $3500/year to go full day. Which is a lot, for us, right now. So that is what I am struggling with.

mom3boys
08-17-2012, 11:29 AM
For us, it is an extra $3500/year to go full day. Which is a lot, for us, right now. So that is what I am struggling with.

In that case I would probably do 1/2 day, if I were a SAHM or, since in my case where I have a younger child and am paying for a full-day childcare provider anyway, I would not want to pile on more costs (when DS1 was in Preschool we still of course, paid my nanny to watch DS2 while DS1 was in school, and paid over $7K for preschool. It was rough, I had to take a part-time job in the evening to help cover costs).

I don't think it will disadvantage the child to be 1/2 day, in fact, gives them an extra year to be a "kid". It is really an advantage for parents (who work, or for SAHMs, more of a "break" I guess).

roseyloxs
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Full day. Honestly I dont understand the point of half day kindergarten. What can they do in 3 hours?

What do they do in kindergarten that they can't do at home with a parent where the teacher student ratio is usually under 1:3. I love the half day options so kids can ease into the socialization that school requires but still enjoy the enrichment and confidence they get from learning at home.

ciw
08-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Can you find out how their day is structured? For me, that would make a big difference in my decision. For example, if academics, music, art are in the morning and the afternoon is reserved for lunch, nap and recess, then I would be more inclined to consider the half-day. But if the half-day includes recess/gym and the full-day includes more academics, I would probably lean more toward the full-day.

(I'm not trying to imply that gym and recess aren't important, but your child can do those activities through sports teams/YMCA programs that will be probably be less expensive than $3500. And I don't see much sense in paying for naptime. I'm pretty sure my district doesn't have a naptime for kindergartners but from the posts here it sounds like many districts do).

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Then I would do half day because yeah $3500 for an additional 2 hrs. of instruction per day seems like a lot of money. Now if it was tuition to cover the whole day of kindergarten then I see paying $390 for tution (that is our tuition bill monthly this year), but for $20 a day (based on 3 hrs. a day, based on 20 days of school per month) it does seem like an awful lot to spend if you are going to be home already.

What do they do in kindergarten that they can't do at home with a parent where the teacher student ratio is usually under 1:3. I love the half day options so kids can ease into the socialization that school requires but still enjoy the enrichment and confidence they get from learning at home.

I don't want to offend but it takes a special type of parent to be able to do that and honestly even if I was a SAHM I don't think I'd have the patience or the ability to set up daily crafts, make up science project ideas, and keep my kids focused on learning when they are at home unless we are playing a board game or going to the park (which isn't my favorite activity, esp. when it is hot) so that is why I think that there is a big advantage to full day kindergarten, even for SAHPs.

khalloc
08-17-2012, 02:00 PM

well speaking as a parent who works full time, my DD can do a lot more at Kindergarten. half Day I think is good if the kids have been in a home setting their whole life or have had a parent home at least part time. But for kids of working parents, half day doesn't make a lot of sense.

wellyes
08-17-2012, 02:36 PM
well speaking as a parent who works full time, my DD can do a lot more at Kindergarten. half Day I think is good if the kids have been in a home setting their whole life or have had a parent home at least part time. But for kids of working parents, half day doesn't make a lot of sense.
I think I agree with this. If both parents work FT, full day kindy makes great sense. If one parent is home, PT can be a good option.

I think I will apply for full day (no obligation), and consider it if DD will be assigned to afternoon kindergarten otherwise. Because it's 1:30-3:00 here, which is really a tough time at that age, I think. Plus DS will be in morning preschool If she gets mornings, I'll probably accept that and save the money.

roseyloxs
08-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't want to offend but it takes a special type of parent to be able to do that and honestly even if I was a SAHM I don't think I'd have the patience or the ability to set up daily crafts, make up science project ideas, and keep my kids focused on learning when they are at home unless we are playing a board game or going to the park (which isn't my favorite activity, esp. when it is hot) so that is why I think that there is a big advantage to full day kindergarten, even for SAHPs.

I disagree, I don't see any reason to keep a 5 year old focused on learning. I believe children of preschool and kindergarten age learn best through play. I think 3 hours of 'learning' are enough for a child of that age. So even if a parent doesn't spend the second half of the day doing elaborate crafts or science projects I think most children are perfectly capable of learning thousands of things just by playing in their backyard, playing a silly board game or helping mom shop for groceries.

The OP is a SAHM and was asking what would be best for her which is why I was not considering what would be best for a WOHP in my post. I agree that half day kindergartens don't make sense for working parents. My parents both worked and I went to a full day kindergarten. I enjoyed myself. I am a SAHM and my son goes to a full day (9 to 2) because I don't have a choice for a half day so please don't be offended that I think a half day is the best choice.

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I think I agree with this. If both parents work FT, full day kindy makes great sense. If one parent is home, PT can be a good option.

I think I will apply for full day (no obligation), and consider it if DD will be assigned to afternoon kindergarten otherwise. Because it's 1:30-3:00 here, which is really a tough time at that age, I think. Plus DS will be in morning preschool If she gets mornings, I'll probably accept that and save the money.

Glad you were able to make a decision. Plus it might be nice if you end up finding more part time work (not sure if you are looking or not). The afternoons actually went better than I thought for DD1 who up until around Jan., 2011 (so 4/3/4) was still taking a 2 hr. nap every Saturday and Sunday afternoon plus at least an hour during the week at daycare, but her teacher did say that in the afternoon if they were learning something it was more creative or movement based (art/music/PE) because she knew the kids would be tired. DD1 sometimes fell asleep in the car on the way home between 4:30 and 5 when I picked her up.

I disagree, I don't see any reason to keep a 5 year old focused on learning. I believe children of preschool and kindergarten age learn best through play. I think 3 hours of 'learning' are enough for a child of that age. So even if a parent doesn't spend the second half of the day doing elaborate crafts or science projects I think most children are perfectly capable of learning thousands of things just by playing in their backyard, playing a silly board game or helping mom shop for groceries.

.......I don't have a choice for a half day so please don't be offended that I think a half day is the best choice.

I have no experience as a SAHM except for a total of 7 months of maternity leave so I don't really know a whole lot about that type of parenting I just have my weekend, vacations, and occaisional days that daycare is closed or there is no school to parent my children.

Not offended at all. I went to half day kindergarten because that was all that was offered in my city and my mom was a SAHM. I often think I would love to be a SAHM, but finances, and the fact that I have been in my line of work for 10+ yrs. now makes it really hard to leave.

Pear
08-17-2012, 05:32 PM
If it is available, I think there is great value in easing the transition to full-time school.

crl
08-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Most people I know that are anxious about their kids starting full-day Kindergarten are SAH parents and have stayed home with their kids for the most part. I understand that concern I guess. Leaving your kids is hard especially since you get little control over what happens at a public school.

This comes across as a bit dismissive of SAHPs, IMO. My kid had been in preschool five days a week starting when he was 2 1/2. Public schools in fact, because he was a special education student. My view that he might have been ready for 1/2 day K on time, but not full-day was not due to my anxiety, as you put it. It was due to his anxiety. And his attention to task problems. And a few other issues. Which were not my imagination, but well documented by professionals.

I am not advocating that 1/2 day is best for most kids or for most parents. Just commenting that I believe that where there is a choice, I think it depends on the child which is best.

Catherine

wellyes
08-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes, my daughter has been in FT daycare as a toddler, and will have had 2 years of 3-day-a-week preschool. I'm not worried about sending her to full day kindy because I don't want to let go. It's just --- it's six hours. That is a lot and I'm sure it is fatiguing for some kids at 5. Plus, I like the idea of keeping school as a very part-time thing because she'll have 12 more years of six hours per day schooling going forward. I'm in no rush.

amandabea
08-17-2012, 06:40 PM
I would prefer full day, but our district doesn't offer it. DH and I both work full time outside of the home, and DD goes to daycare/preschool 5 days a week from 9-5 so it wouldn't be a transition for us. With the half day, we will have to enroll DD in an afternoon program and arrange transportation. :thumbsdown:

:yeahthat:

pastrygirl
08-17-2012, 09:29 PM
My answer is different for each of my boys. My older son NEEDED full-day K. Thankfully, the town had just switched over to all full-day the year he started. I could not keep him busy enough at home, and he drove me crazy. He used to cry when I picked him up from (2.5-hr) preschool. He was so happy when I told him he'd be in school until 3pm once he started K. (He knew how to tell time, so he understood completely.)

My younger son is a total snuggle bug and mellow most of the time, so I'd probably do half day for him if it was available. I'd prefer afternoons, because that's when I really need downtime.

94bruin
08-18-2012, 10:50 AM
It's hard for me to vote since I am not a SAHM, and my requirements would be different (I work part-time outside the home.)

In our district, this is what happens for the kinders:

The first months through October, it is 1/2 day for all kinders - 8ish to about noon. Start time depends on which school.

In November, they half the kids stay an extended day for M, T, W, the other half of the class stays extended W, Th, F. This was until 1:30.

As a working parent, this a was royal pain in the butt to schedule. However, if I were SAHM, it obviously wouldn't be a problem.

The thing is, our district is a very well performing district, so I don't necessarily buy that you can't fit everything you need to in a 1/2 day Kinder program. They had PE, music & art once a week.

Our principal's philosophy was that the kids still needed to play - that the Kinder's homework was to PLAY/ have playdates, etc... At our particular school, there is no homework until 2nd grade (which DD will get on Monday, yikes!)

So, if I were SAHM, I'd love the 1/2 day option just so I could hang onto the last few precious days of childhood.

Oh, I'd choose the AM option since the first few days of school, DD was so tired an needed to nap after school. This was even though she went to full day preschool 4 days a week.

ilfaith
08-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Kindergarten at DS1&2's school was more like 3/4 day...beginning at 8:15 and ending at 1:45. This was at a private religious school, and the curriculum did include Hebrew language and religious study. They also offered an extended day program (until 3:45, when the upper grades released) to which I sent DS2 because I was already picking up DS3 at the preschool at noon, and doing three separate pick-ups was not going to happen since I lived 20+ minutes drive from the school. The extended day program focused on additional science and social studies lessons, but also included some time for play.

Honestly, I do think the day was a little long for my 5-year-old. He was pretty wiped out after school in the early part of the year (he also has an August birthday and was among the youngest kids in the class). Since most schools in the area released by 3 pm, it was also a challenge to get him to other after school activities. which either began at 4, meaning a mad dash across town, or took place after dinner, when he was tired from an already full day.