PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Provider refuses to swaddle

cookiemonster80
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm starting to panic here- I start back to work on MONDAY and just got back from finishing up a few things at DD2's daycare, and went over her schedule with the providers, etc.

So- I get to the sleeping instructions and mention that she needs to be swaddled and one of the teachers immediately says "oh no, we can't swaddle, it increases the risk of SIDS and we can get our license taken away"

Understand that DD2 will NOT sleep if she is not in the miracle blanket and then inside a large woombie- we've tried everything else. I tried just the woombie the other night she she screamed for 3 hours until I reswaddled her- and she normally drops straight off without a peep. I work at home so I depend on her napping regularly in the afternoons (she is only going for the mornings) so I can work another couple of hours. If her sleeping is off in the morning, it will throw off the rest of the day.

The director wasn't there today but I'll call her tomorrow and talk to her about it. The lady who told me this seemed to think it is a state law, which I'm going to spend naptime today researching, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience, I mean, really?? a law against swaddling???? She said that the recommendation is to put a light blanket in the crib with them!!! Everything I've read says that you don't' put ANYTHING loose in the crib at all.

I'm starting to panic- finding someone to start NEXT WEEK is impossible- and DD2 HAS to sleep, they just seemed to think it was crazy to swaddle- apparently no one else has EVER requested it- WTH?? I can't believe it.

Momit
08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
We lived in California, where they have laws for almost everything, when DS was a baby and he was swaddled every day at daycare.

o_mom
08-16-2012, 01:33 PM
When I google "tennessee daycare rules swaddling", it brings up the state licensing rules (http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1240/1240-04/1240-04-03.20090314.pdf) which do appear to prohibit swaddling.

"Infants shall not be wrapped tightly or swaddled in blankets for sleeping."

BabyBearsMom
08-16-2012, 01:37 PM
There was a thread here recently, maybe a few months ago about some hospitals refusing to swaddle now for that reason. I wouldn't really panic though. In my experience, DCP are remarkably good at getting babies to nap. I remember with DD1, I could not get her to nap for the life of me. But after two weeks at daycare, she was napping like a champ. I think that sometimes babies will do things for people who aren't their parents more readily. Good luck!

Clarity
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
No swaddling at our center and our providers used a light blanket too. I still have issues with them putting a blanket in the crib when my kids were babies but that's what they did. Mostly, my girls were rocked, held, comforted to sleep when they were as young as your dd. Did you ask them how they put the kids to sleep or down for a nap?

I will say that I'm certain your dd will be fine. There will be an adjustment phase - there always is. But, I have no doubt that they'll figure out something that works and who knows, when they do, perhaps you won't have to swaddle her at home anymore, either!

sntm
08-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Agree that most DCP become Jedi masters at naps. DS1 napped much better after starting daycare. It's one if my worries using a nanny with less baby experience!

marymoo86
08-16-2012, 03:35 PM
DD slept better at daycare than she did at home. It really is amazing the difference on how your child will act when not around you. It may take a few days but I bet your babe will get comfortable and work it out.

Philly Mom
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I think your DD will adjust whether or not they swaddle her and whether or not she naps well. I say this as a mom whose DD does not nap better at daycare. At her first daycare (5 months-10 months), she often only napped 30 mins-1.5 the ENTIRE day. She adjusted and was just exhausted when she got home. It did not mess with her nighttime sleep, but she did start going to bed an hour earlier. However, on the weekends, from 5 months-10 months, she took 2 2.5-3 hour naps a day. She napped a lot on the weekends. At 10 months she switched providers. She naps better at this one, 1-2 hours a day (sometimes less) and only takes one nap a day. She has kept the earlier bedtime. On the weekends, she naps at least 2 hours a day. If I pick her up from daycare early and put her down for a nap, she may cry for a minute but she goes straight down and will sleep for a LONG time. This was a long answer to say that I still think she would nap for you in the afternoon regardless and possibly nap even longer.

ZivaZ
08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Instead of using a light blanket, could daycare use a sleepsack? Just an idea of a way to avoid loose blankets.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

bigsis
08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
There was a thread here recently, maybe a few months ago about some hospitals refusing to swaddle now for that reason. I wouldn't really panic though. In my experience, DCP are remarkably good at getting babies to nap. I remember with DD1, I could not get her to nap for the life of me. But after two weeks at daycare, she was napping like a champ. I think that sometimes babies will do things for people who aren't their parents more readily. Good luck!

ITA with this. As a matter of fact, my DD didn't take 2 weeks to nap like a champ at daycare--it was much shorter than that.

bisous
08-16-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm sure your baby will start napping without swaddling. It might be hard on the daycare provider but they should have lots of experience. If it is a really big problem, they'll let you know. I'll bet it works out just fine!

I'm sorry you are stressed out but I'm sure it will be fine! Keep us updated!

codex57
08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
DD is kind of a nightmare about sleeping. But her DCP gets her to do it with all the other kids. I do think they have Jedi mind tricks. It's just not frickin possible with DD, but they do it somehow. And she sleeps about twice as long as she will at home. I don't get it.

PZMommy
08-16-2012, 08:26 PM
My daycare center requires us to being a sleepsack as they won't let them have blankets in their crib.

Dawn