PDA

View Full Version : s/o Do you have an iphone, android, or other...and are you happy with it?

newmomto1
08-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Please tell me what you have...
If you are happy with it or not.
And, if not...what would you rather have??

joonbug
08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Iphone here. Very happy (i mever understood the hype about it until i got one and fell in love. Seriously!)

joonbug
08-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Iphone here. Very happy (i never understood the hype about it until i got one and fell in love. Seriously!)

edurnemk
08-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Android, it's OK. I think I'd prefer an iphone, though. It freezes up every now and then and sometimes it's SLOW, but it performs much better than my Blackberry.

I have a Mackbook Pro and syncing it with the Android is not too straight forward.

codex57
08-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I have an iPhone. I'm ok with it. DW drank the Kool Aid and now thinks Apple can do no wrong. I see the limitations, but for me, the pros of the iPhone clearly outweigh the cons and vice versa for Android. I'm just not an Android person.

On the other hand, I'm totally pro Apple for computers. Laptops, desktops, etc. I don't think the iPhone is the Jesus phone, but I think OSX is the Jesus operating system.

MMMommy
08-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Galaxy Nexus. Very happy with it.

maestramommy
08-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I have an Android and I'm pretty happy with it. We used it a LOT on our road trip, and it did have a few annoying moments when it would freeze up while we were using the gps navigator, or lose the gps, or lose data connectivity. We weren't able to figure out if it was the phone, or some other problem in outer space. It's kind of like when your PC mysteriously crashes, and you just have to reboot. We had that attitude in mind from the getgo, so it didn't bother us much. Sometimes I also notice when I want to answer a text I can't seem to get the typing function to kick in, no matter how many times I tap on the arrow. Then suddenly magically it works. No idea why either. Again, I don't know if it's me, the phone, both.

It's a great phone otherwise. One night Dh was working and I couldn't watch TV because the kids were sleeping, so I ended up watching a bunch of Youtube videos on the phone. Worked great! I have a Samsung Exhibit II.

Oh wait, there is one very annoying thing about it, and I don't know what the problem is. I cannot seem to load pics directly into a folder on my pc. It wont' give me access. I have to load onto the desktop, then it will let me move into a folder. I have a feeling it's something to do with the way Dh set up the admin on my laptop, and my laptop is already quirky, has been since I got it. So it's probably not the phone. Just something that I noticed, since I am able to load pics from my camera onto the laptop with no problem.

This is probably the reason so many people prefer iphone and apple, for its seamless user friendliness. I can appreciate that, just don't want to pay that much.

crl
08-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I have an iPhone. Wouldn't ever trade it for an Android. I'd just go back to a dumb phone before I'd do that. I like tech to just work. I don't want to have to mess with it--that kind of thing just makes me want to throw the device into a brick wall.

We have been really happy with apple service too. (Not so much with AT&T, but that's a different story.)

Catherine

egoldber
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
DH and I both have iPhones and are very happy. But I've never even looked at an Android.

I love being able to share music and apps amongst all our various devices. The kids use our older iPhones as Touches and that works very well for us also.

I also love the free texting from iPhone to iPhone.

BillK
08-16-2012, 10:41 PM
We both have Galaxy Nexus's (Nexii?) and are very happy with them and had iPhone 3gs's a while back and prefer the Androids.

Biggest selling points for us are the Google integration, smokin fast 4g speed, built in free navigation, free wireless tethering and being able to customize the way it looks how we like it via widgets etc. Free wireless tethering being HUGE for us.

JamiMac
08-16-2012, 11:11 PM
I just made the move from an iPhone to Android and can't say enough good things. I am fully invested in Mac too; iPods, an iMac and 2 Macbooks. I never thought I'd try anything else, but I'm glad I did. My iPhone was also "glitchy" and would close apps, etc. My husband has a 4S and I had a 3GS, so I've had lots of time with both. The Android customization was intimidating at first (before I had the phone) but it is so, so great. I haven't had any issues, or "glitchy-ness" at all. The screen is so far ahead of the iPhone, I can't stand using my DH's phone anymore. I'm very impressed with Androids now, there isn't much different honestly, from the iPhone, but what is different is better.

zukeypur
08-16-2012, 11:16 PM
I had 2 androids before my iPhone, and I greatly prefer the iPhone. I also have an iPad, Mac, and iPods, so having everything work together is a huge plus. I hate the navigation though. Androids wins on that hands down.

maestramommy
08-17-2012, 07:03 AM
We both have Galaxy Nexus's (Nexii?) and are very happy with them and had iPhone 3gs's a while back and prefer the Androids.

Biggest selling points for us are the Google integration, smokin fast 4g speed, built in free navigation, free wireless tethering and being able to customize the way it looks how we like it via widgets etc. Free wireless tethering being HUGE for us.

Bill, just curious how you get tethering to work for you. Dh tried it on our road trip and he couldn't get past Tmobil's gate. Is it a problem with Tmobil?

Wow, we love our free Navigation, but I had no idea it wasn't a given! We do a lot of Google stuff, and Dh found a Google maps Nav program that works smoothly with the free Nav program (that blue arrow widget). He also found another freebie that can do everything offline so if you lose your gps you still have all the maps and can figure it out yourself.

BillK
08-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Bill, just curious how you get tethering to work for you. Dh tried it on our road trip and he couldn't get past Tmobil's gate. Is it a problem with Tmobil?

Wow, we love our free Navigation, but I had no idea it wasn't a given! We do a lot of Google stuff, and Dh found a Google maps Nav program that works smoothly with the free Nav program (that blue arrow widget). He also found another freebie that can do everything offline so if you lose your gps you still have all the maps and can figure it out yourself.

My wife's Nexus is stock and she uses FoxFi and it works perfectly with no messing around. My Nexus is rooted so I can use the built in wireless hotspot with no issues. This is on Verizon so I'm not sure about TMO.

Even if TMO has blocked FoxFi in the market (Sprint did) you can still get it from their website and install it as long as you have the "allow installs from unknown sources" enabled in your settings.

sarahsthreads
08-17-2012, 09:26 AM
We have android phones, which we are happy(ish) with*. We have iPod Touches, and felt that iPhones would just be taken over by the kids too. ;) Both of us are definitely Apple fans, but have no desire to get iPhones. :shrug:

*We both had Motorola Droids for a couple of years and I was very happy with that. DH dropped his phone in a puddle, and we were eligible to upgrade anyway...while he decided to go with a newer Motorola Droid, I stupidly got a Samsung Stratosphere which I HATE. I've only had it for 3 months, and I am already counting the days until I can upgrade. It regularly freezes to the point where I can only pry off the case and pop out the battery to recover, it drops the bluetooth connection to my car randomly and without warning, and for a "lightening fast" 4G phone it is pretty ridiculously slow. So. I'd definitely get another Motorola Droid, but I'd never get another Samsung manufactured android phone. Ever.

Sarah :)

anamika
08-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Just got an iphone and DH got a Samsung Nexus or whatever. Already so so jealous of his phone.
Had an android phone and miss the following things ( if there is a way to do this on the iphone *please* tell me.
1. Blinking light to alert me to the fact that I have a notification - Now it is a multistep process to figure out what I missed.
2. Swype - oh dear God, how I miss swype.
3. The keyboard is set up so that I have to toggle between alphabet and characters - so if I want to punctuate I have to go back and forth. On the android, I could hold down a key for the sp characters to pop up.
4. Siri is a joke with my accent. I only use her when I want to see what new crap she can come up with. I could talk to my old phone and actually have it do what I wanted or miss by a small amount. I almost feel insulted by some of the stuff that Siri pulls. My accent is not that bad!!
5. navigation - what navigation? DH got an android so we wouldn't have to deal with this.
6. Dh set up something so he can write on his phone with his finger instead of typing. So cool. I probably have to wait for a new version of the phone to have this feature!
7. Siri freezes up routinely - DD likes to play with her not me. Buttons stop working randomly and I have to restart the phone - so funny considering it is an *iphone*

Again if anyone knows some cool things that can fix these issues I beg you to let me know. Stuck with this phone for a while :)

spannaz
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I have an iPhone. Wouldn't ever trade it for an Android. I'd just go back to a dumb phone before I'd do that. I like tech to just work. I don't want to have to mess with it--that kind of thing just makes me want to throw the device into a brick wall.

We have been really happy with apple service too. (Not so much with AT&T, but that's a different story.)

Catherine

:yeahthat: well except for the AT&T since I'm in Canada.

The iPhone is just so intuitive and easy. Not much to mess around with and no need for it. They've thought of *everything* :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Catherine

:yeahthat: I am a technology simpleton. I simply want my stuff to work! I don't think the iPhone is God or anything, but I do really like my 4s. I keep my phones for a long time (this is only my 3rd phone since 2002; so 4/1/2 yr. average) so I like them to be able to work. I have Verizon (and have since 2002) so I think that makes all of the difference.

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Just got an iphone and DH got a Samsung Nexus or whatever. Already so so jealous of his phone.
Had an android phone and miss the following things ( if there is a way to do this on the iphone *please* tell me.
1. Blinking light to alert me to the fact that I have a notification - Now it is a multistep process to figure out what I missed.
2. Swype - oh dear God, how I miss swype.
3. The keyboard is set up so that I have to toggle between alphabet and characters - so if I want to punctuate I have to go back and forth. On the android, I could hold down a key for the sp characters to pop up.
4. Siri is a joke with my accent. I only use her when I want to see what new crap she can come up with. I could talk to my old phone and actually have it do what I wanted or miss by a small amount. I almost feel insulted by some of the stuff that Siri pulls. My accent is not that bad!!
5. navigation - what navigation? DH got an android so we wouldn't have to deal with this.
6. Dh set up something so he can write on his phone with his finger instead of typing. So cool. I probably have to wait for a new version of the phone to have this feature!
7. Siri freezes up routinely - DD likes to play with her not me. Buttons stop working randomly and I have to restart the phone - so funny considering it is an *iphone*

Again if anyone knows some cool things that can fix these issues I beg you to let me know. Stuck with this phone for a while :)

you have 14 days to return it if you truly just bought it. Good luck!

lizzywednesday
08-17-2012, 10:29 AM
I've got an iPhone and I really like it.

I'd been looking at both the iPhone and another non-"i" OS phone that DH was interested in before the iPhone came out.

VZW killed the non-"i" phone when it agreed to carry the iPhone, so I got an iPhone.

DH liked it so much, he got one himself.

When we upgrade, we intend on getting new iPhones and combining our plans.

BabyBearsMom
08-17-2012, 10:33 AM
I love my iPhone. I don't have much experience with the Android but I find the iPhone to be intuitive. Plus everything in our house is Apple so I like how my iPhone just integrates seamlessly with that. I love the iCloud! I'm reading Steve Jobs's biography right now and I can't stop marveling at his genius every time I use my phone.