PDA

View Full Version : Do you flush tampons?

georgiegirl
08-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Recently a good friend and I started talking about this (her daughter got her period for the first time and had to explain things to her.). My friend said she never flushes tampons, and I've always done so (except when travelling abroad). I just googled it and it seems that there's conflicting information out there.

Just wondering what you do with yours...

maestramommy
08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Nope. At one time I thought you could, when I first started using them, and I ended up clogging a toilet that way. Never done it since.

Liziz
08-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Like OP, always have, except when traveling abroad. Never had any issues clogging toilets, and I've lived in a few houses with TERRIBLE toilets.

scrooks
08-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Like OP, always have, except when traveling abroad. Never had any issues clogging toilets, and I've lived in a few houses with TERRIBLE toilets.

Same here!

BillK
08-16-2012, 10:32 PM
It's not the toilet you have to worry about clogging it's the sewer line. Ever have a sewer drain backup in your basement as a result of tampons? It's not pretty. My wife wraps em up and they go in the trash.

MamaMolly
08-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I did until we recently had to get our drains snaked due to flushable wipes and tree roots. We only flushed one or two at a time but I was mortified when the plumber pulled them out. Thank goodness they were ONLY wipes he pulled out! :bag

mom3boys
08-16-2012, 10:34 PM
No, I don't flush them. When I was a senior in college I clogged the ONLY toilet in a ski house we were sharing with like 12 people (including guys), by attempting to flush one down the toilet--there was no trash basket in the bathroom there which is the only reason I flushed in the first place. So I haven't flushed one since.

The fact that my bathroom at work as well as some public toilets have signs indicating to please not flush them also makes me think it is not a good idea. I do NOT want to be the one clogging a public toilet.

indigo99
08-16-2012, 10:38 PM
In high school I wanted to be sure and avoid the embarrassment of clogging someone else's toilet so I would wrap and put them in the trash. Of course I did this at a male friend's house, and their dog later dug it out of the trash and walked out into a living room full of people with it in his mouth. I was MORTIFIED, but there were several girls there so I don't think they knew whose it was.

AJP
08-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Sometimes here. We have septic now, so never flushed them in this house. In the past I always did (when on city sewer). Never flushed them or even the TP when on vacation out of the country. I actually have the privilege of not needing them any more due to mirena, but hated the fear of my dog pulling them out of the trash (eeewwwww!) v

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Not worth the risk of a clog! Happened in a hotel bathroom to me several years back and it was so embarrassing!

wellyes
08-16-2012, 10:55 PM
You mean the bit of cotton? Not the applicator? I do, it never occurred to me not to. Except when traveling outside the US.

babyonway
08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Nope in HS my mom and I collectively caused a cog and the Plummer told us (and showed us EWWW) the problem.
Lesson learned :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

twowhat?
08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Never.

Which reminds me of when a friend of mine stayed with me for 6 weeks. She flushed them. The only toilet in the apartment clogged. I had to call maintenance. He produced the tampon as the culprit, at which point I said "Oh, yeah - I had a friend staying with me" to which he responded "Uh-huh...that's what they all say."

doberbrat
08-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I voted yes but I just remembered its really Not any more. I've used the Diva Cup for the last 5 yrs but way back when I stopped b/c we had a clog and the plumber told us to never flush tampons, qtips or hair :6:

okinawama
08-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Nope, never have and am totally shocked by the amount of people who answered yes!

jammytoast
08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
I use to always until we had a $300 plumber bill....and the mass of them that they pulled out of the line.

It's one of the main reasons I switched to a cup. I just couldn't understand how much TP I'd use to wrap up a, ahem, heavily used one

happymom
08-16-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm shocked that people don't flush them! I can't imagine wrapping it and throwing it in the garbage when its...TMI alert... soaked with blood. Ew!! I remove it and drop it right into the toilet, end of story. I have NEVER had a tampon clog a toilet, and never even heard of that being an issue! I have always wondered about the plastic applicator though. I wish they were flushable, as it grosses me out to wrap and discard even that. And I have always wondered why it is that in bathrooms, you often see wrapped up maxipads in the garbage, but never a tampon applicator.

MamaKath
08-16-2012, 11:32 PM
I did until clogging the toilet at a friend's parent's home. It was quite embarassing. I was 16 and still don't flush them, lol.

The cup is much easier to deal with when I have time to use it (I feel like each month I still work on reaching a learning curve).

KLD313
08-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Nope! We have septic and that's a big no no.

alien_host
08-16-2012, 11:38 PM
We are on septic so I don't. I do in pubic restrooms and did in my house with town sewer.

Nooknookmom
08-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Not since it cost me a fortune in plumbing costs to unplug the pipes!!!!!

Piglet
08-16-2012, 11:55 PM
I've always done so (except when travelling abroad).

Sorry for being dense, but what is it about traveling abroad that changes things? A few people mention this in their response, so maybe I am just not understanding.

eagle
08-17-2012, 12:16 AM
maybe they flush, maybe they dont, but NOT worth the risk. and its so simple too. just wrap and throw away.

i HATE HATE HATE clogged toilets.

but now the issue is a non-issue since i use menstrual cups! yay!

StantonHyde
08-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Clogs toilets, ruins septic systems. No way.

queenmama
08-17-2012, 12:47 AM
It's not the toilet you have to worry about clogging it's the sewer line. Ever have a sewer drain backup in your basement as a result of tampons? It's not pretty. My wife wraps em up and they go in the trash.

Yep. Several times. The first couple were my fault, then we had family staying and they did it (even though we warned them, ugh). You don't know how much of a Roto Rooter expert my husband has become.

urquie
08-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Nope, never have and am totally shocked by the amount of people who answered yes!

:yeahthat:

hillview
08-17-2012, 07:17 AM
The only time I do is in a public toilet that has those high velocity flushing toilets. The rest of the time I don't.

KHF
08-17-2012, 07:23 AM
The only time I do is in a public toilet that has those high velocity flushing toilets. The rest of the time I don't.

:yeahthat: I used to, but then my uncle (a plumber) told me that tampons are almost always the culprit when residential sewer lines are backed up. I stopped right then!

amldaley
08-17-2012, 07:37 AM

joonbug
08-17-2012, 07:40 AM
I flush them occasionally when out in a public restroom and there is no trash in the stall or it's full... Never in my house as I'm terrified of clogging the toilet! I keep a stack of old magazines in the bathroom for that purpose...

brittone2
08-17-2012, 07:51 AM
I grew up with a septic system at my childhood home. I flushed a few over the years and yeah, my dad wasn't happy! (eta: we had one or two clogs through the years. Doh!!)

It just became habit not to.

Now I'm a Diva user, so irrelevant at this point.

IMO, it is not worth the risk of a clog, especially not in your personal home. It is fine until it isn't, kwim?

pinkmomagain
08-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow, I have never NOT flushed a tampon. I'm shocked that people don't. Never had a clogged toiled due to flushing a tampon. I have also never used a Super-sized one (only regular) so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

wellyes
08-17-2012, 08:18 AM
I am amazed by this poll!! One reason I stopped wearing pads was being grossed out by the idea of (and reality of) bloody trash in the garbage can.

I don't use Super either, just regular, maybe that makes a difference? I have never had a problem in my parents house (septic system), the many apartments I've lived in or my own 3 homes.

I did once completely wreck my parents' septic system by flushing PADS. That was not a good idea. I was 11, but still, really dumb.

Sorry for being dense, but what is it about traveling abroad that changes things? A few people mention this in their response, so maybe I am just not understanding.
Simply, most toilets are not nearly as robust as American toilets. Especially in the developing world. I've been to countries where the standard is to not flush anything other than #1 or #2 (in other words, put your TP in the trash can).

egoldber
08-17-2012, 08:23 AM
I've been to countries where the standard is to not flush anything other than #1 or #2 (in other words, put your TP in the trash can).

Depending on how robust your sewage system and how old your pipes are, this is not just a non-US issue! In my parents home, we never flushed toilet paper and certainly not tampons. Not to be TMI :o but I flush the ones from the first couple days (my heaviest flow), but throw the others in the trash. This is a compromise that works for me. :)

Smillow
08-17-2012, 08:29 AM
I used to flush them (unless requested not to because of septic). Then we bought a 90 year old house. Now, not a chance!

wendibird22
08-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes. Always have. Not the applicator though. We are on septic and the people that flush that out for us every 3yrs said not a problem (they said that about flushable wipes too). Never had a clog or any other issue.

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I flush them 98% of the time unless someone/business requests that I not. Always done it.

daisysmom
08-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Yes, this. So I flush them at work, in restaurants, public places. But not in our house. We had a backed up line at my parents house and they swore that tampons (three daughters) were the problem. In our current house (104 year old lines) I don't flush them but I am pretty sure that our nannies and sitters always have. I wrap them up at home and ususally get them into the kitchen garbage that goes out at least once a day.

Our river house is actually not on septic but when we were looking, most of them were. Our realtor pointed out that you couldn't even use lots of some brands of toilet paper on septic and definitely no tampons or flushable wipes.

Moneypenny
08-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Wow, I have never NOT flushed a tampon. I'm shocked that people don't. Never had a clogged toiled due to flushing a tampon. I have also never used a Super-sized one (only regular) so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I'm shocked at all the non-flushers as well. I've flushed tampons (of all sizes) for almost 30 years and haven't clogged a toilet yet.

larig
08-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Nope. I make sure that I have a garbage can with a lid in the bathroom (dogs love tampons--GROSS) or keep the garbage under the sink behind a cabinet door. I wrap them too. Heck, our toilet sometimes can't manage a #2 and paper!

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm shocked at all the non-flushers as well. I've flushed tampons (of all sizes) for almost 30 years and haven't clogged a toilet yet.

:yeahthat: well, 23 yrs. for me.

BabbyO
08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. Not once. But then my parents house was on a grinder system (think garbage disposal type grinder to 1 - 2 in diam sewer line). It will clog, and the string will burn the motor on the pump (so does dental floss - I had no idea but apparently it is fairly common for people to flush dental floss).

Anyway, in my first job I used to design septic systems - you CAN'T flush tampons to a septic system. After that I spent 2 years installing and rehabbing sewers. I've watched too many hours of sewer televising video to ever flush anything other than what is eliminated from my body and TP. And just so you know - TP often causes backups in sewers, too!

Oh, and I worked at a wastewater treatment plant - your tampons make it all the way there in many cases....

Now I design equipment for WWTP's - I guess not flushing is due to my occupation! :)

wendibird22
08-17-2012, 12:33 PM
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. Not once. But then my parents house was on a grinder system (think garbage disposal type grinder to 1 - 2 in diam sewer line). It will clog, and the string will burn the motor on the pump (so does dental floss - I had no idea but apparently it is fairly common for people to flush dental floss).

Anyway, in my first job I used to design septic systems - you CAN'T flush tampons to a septic system. After that I spent 2 years installing and rehabbing sewers. I've watched too many hours of sewer televising video to ever flush anything other than what is eliminated from my body and TP. And just so you know - TP often causes backups in sewers, too!

Oh, and I worked at a wastewater treatment plant - your tampons make it all the way there in many cases....

Now I design equipment for WWTP's - I guess not flushing is due to my occupation! :)

This is a great post. Who knew your career would come in handy on the BBB right?! Can you elaborate on why you can't flush tampons to a septic? I'm totally a novice on this as I didn't grow up with septic. Our current house (lived there 7yrs) is septic (our tank is in the back yard). As I mentioned in PP we get it pumped every 3yr and the reputable co said no problem. Given that I have 2 daughters I want to be sure I teach them right.

maylips
08-17-2012, 12:37 PM

I had no idea. I grew up with a septic system and both my mom and I flushed our tampons but there was never a back up - I'm talking EVER, and my parents lived in that house for 30 years. Now we're in a house with a septic and I've always flushed them here. Guess I need to change tactics but do tell....why can't you flush them? Does size make a difference?

Momit
08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I've always heard you aren't supposed to so I never have.

twowhat?
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I had no idea. I grew up with a septic system and both my mom and I flushed our tampons but there was never a back up - I'm talking EVER, and my parents lived in that house for 30 years. Now we're in a house with a septic and I've always flushed them here. Guess I need to change tactics but do tell....why can't you flush them? Does size make a difference?

I think it's because they don't break down quickly. They're made of rayon fibers packed pretty densely, right? They simply won't break apart as quickly and easily as toilet paper. I'm just imagining all the tampons they have to filter out at the wastewater treatment plant!!

I think flushable wipes can be an issue too though I do see that those break down more quickly (more surface area, thinner, tear apart more easily).

Yes, dogs love tampons. And pads. Nothing better than growing up and having your dad remind you to empty the trash during "that time" because the dog got into "those things".

I just wrap mine well (and loosely) in TP, put in trash, and our trash goes out twice a week (or we will put it in the outside bin if we feel it's a problem).

Every time we've ever had a clog (usually due to roots, which catch the TP - esp the nice thick quilty brands, which results in more caught-up TP, which results in a mass of TP that clogs the pipe) one of the first questions out of the plumber's mouth is "do you flush tampons?" LOLOL.

The girls aren't allowed to use more than 4 squares of TP for pee, or a single flushable wipe for poop.

twotimesblue
08-17-2012, 12:59 PM
I met someone from a wastewater treatment plant who told me that flushing tampons was socially irresponsible... SO many end up in the ocean, and sea creatures die as a result. Have you ever tried leaving a tampon sitting in water, to see how big those things expand? They're designed to never break down and friends of mine who run restaurants have told me that it costs them thousands every year to unclog pipes due to customers flushing tampons (even though there are sanitary disposal bins, and signs asking people to discard, rather than flush). I just wrap well and empty my trash every day during 'that time'... wouldn't want to risk anything else

brittone2
08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I think it's because they don't break down quickly. They're made of rayon fibers packed pretty densely, right? They simply won't break apart as quickly and easily as toilet paper. I'm just imagining all the tampons they have to filter out at the wastewater treatment plant!!

I think flushable wipes can be an issue too though I do see that those break down more quickly (more surface area, thinner, tear apart more easily).

Yes, dogs love tampons. And pads. Nothing better than growing up and having your dad remind you to empty the trash during "that time" because the dog got into "those things".

I just wrap mine well (and loosely) in TP, put in trash, and our trash goes out twice a week (or we will put it in the outside bin if we feel it's a problem).

Every time we've ever had a clog (usually due to roots, which catch the TP - esp the nice thick quilty brands, which results in more caught-up TP, which results in a mass of TP that clogs the pipe) one of the first questions of of the plumber's mouth is "do you flush tampons?" LOLOL.

The girls aren't allowed to use more than 4 squares of TP for pee, or a single flushable wipe for poop.
Yeah, it is funny about the TP. Growing up (w/ septic) my dad insisted on us using Scott TP...we never had the fluffy, quilty stuff. I had TP envy when we went visited friends who had the quilty, squishy brands :rotflmao:

We had a septic in our last house and out of habit we used Scott brand TP. We have public sewer in our current house and we still just use the Scott brand. It is pretty much all I've known ;)

Twoboos
08-17-2012, 01:05 PM
I flushed for a long, long time. Even in our first house, when we had septic - it was only me & Dh at the time and we kept up with the pumping/maintenance.

Now I don't at home anymore (septic). It's totally gross to wrap and toss, but I do. Public place or place on town sewer, I flush unless it specifically states not to.

I got into a discussion about this with a friend once, b/c the box of Tampax (cardboard applicator) says they are biodegradable. I argued this meant the tampons, she said only the applicator/wrapper. Hmmm.

(PS - I have thought about posting this poll in the past!!)

BabbyO
08-17-2012, 03:27 PM
This is a great post. Who knew your career would come in handy on the BBB right?! Can you elaborate on why you can't flush tampons to a septic? I'm totally a novice on this as I didn't grow up with septic. Our current house (lived there 7yrs) is septic (our tank is in the back yard). As I mentioned in PP we get it pumped every 3yr and the reputable co said no problem. Given that I have 2 daughters I want to be sure I teach them right.

Ok here's the official warning...I'm going to get geeky on you! ;)

So, check out the picture I've attached at the bottom. It shows a typical Septic system.

Lets talk about how a septic system works. The wastewater leaves your home through typical sanitairy piping and goes to a septic tank. The purpose of the tank is to settle out heavy items (dirt, grit, sand, etc). These items fall to the bottom of the tank. It also allows for floatables (fats, oils and grease) to float to the top of the tank. Somewhere between the bottom and the top of the tank is a non- perforated pipe that leads out of the tank - usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the wall. The idea with this placement is that non-biodegradable heavy items have settled to the bottom and floatables have floated to the top. After the pipe their may or may not be a distribution box. There there is perforated piping that leads down long trenches. the trenches have a specific depth and width depending on the state, soils, etc. Gravel is packed around the pipe, then sand and soil.

The intention is for waste water to leach from the perforated pipe into the gravel (very porus), then to the sand, then to the soil. The wastewater is treated by the natural bacteria and microbes found in the soil.

Tampons can cause problems in several locations in your system.
1. In the internal house piping - this is no different than piping to a public sewer system. It can cause partial or full clogging.
2. In the non-perforated piping. If the septic tank is smaller and there is a big rush of water coming (during a rinse cycle on from your wash machine) the water in the tank can become turbulent and a normally floatable tampon could get pushed into the non perforated piping causing a full or partial clog.
3. In the perforated piping. If the tampon makes it through the non perforated piping, it can and certainly will at least partially clog the perforated piping. As in it won't allow the wastewater out into the soil at a particular location. Furthermore, if the tampon has broken down and there are small fibers in the water, these fibers can coat the inside of the perforated piping causing them to become plugged.

However, lets assume that the tampon has broken down even smaller. The tiny fibers are able to get through the relatively large holes in the perforated piping. The fibers are getting pushed into the gravel, then sand, then soil. As some point they will plug the actual void spaces in the septic field (sand and or soils) reducing the hydraulic capacity of the field. Over time this builds up and leads to failure of the system.

Additionally, typically the strings do not break down and they can get pushed into the piping causing plugging of the holes in the perforated drain pipes.

At least with the cotton fibers of a tampon they typically will break down after a while, but the cotton of the string will stay intact much longer.

I found it funny that another huge culprit to failed septic systems is coffee grounds. They don't sink, they don't float, and they don't breakdown. They get into the sand and soil and plug the drain field.

So Why did your septic guy say tampons aren't a problem. Well, perhaps your tank has a baffle that will prevent them from getting into the piping. Perhaps he assumes that they float and won't get into the piping. But for my $$, I'd avoid it. It isn't cheap to fix a failed drain field. Pumping a tank is cheap...but you may not have a way to recover the drainfield...you may need to go with installing a new one.

As for the poster who said her dad always made them use cheap TP...well, I think he was a pretty smart guy for it! :) I read some where that if you balled up a square of TP, shook it around in a mason jar full of water for 15 seconds and it started to break up, it was good for your septic system. It probably doesn't need to be that thin, but it is important that it can degrade easily and fairly quickly.

Hope that sheds some light on Septic systems. Now back to your regularly scheduled BBB!

georgiegirl
08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Interesting results. That's why I asked. I have pretty much always flushed them and never given it a second thought, then I was talking to my best friend and she said she never flushed them. I had never thought people were so divided (and shocked by the results of the others) on this TMI topic.

Once I was at a friends house and flushed a tampon and the toilet backed up but that was because the previous user (most likely my friend) had pooped and it was backed up. So here I was with a bloody tampon and someone else's poop in her toilet and I had to ask for a plunger because the last thing I was going to do was fish a tampon out of a poopy toilet. Ick! It was pretty awkward. I didn't mention the tampon or the poop...just that I needed a plunger.

BabbyO
08-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I met someone from a wastewater treatment plant who told me that flushing tampons was socially irresponsible... SO many end up in the ocean, and sea creatures die as a result. Have you ever tried leaving a tampon sitting in water, to see how big those things expand? They're designed to never break down and friends of mine who run restaurants have told me that it costs them thousands every year to unclog pipes due to customers flushing tampons (even though there are sanitary disposal bins, and signs asking people to discard, rather than flush). I just wrap well and empty my trash every day during 'that time'... wouldn't want to risk anything else

This is very true! Tampons can make it through the entire WWTP process, even with extensive screening.

eagle
08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
best, most educational post ever:

So, check out the picture I've attached at the bottom. It shows a typical Septic system.

Lets talk about how a septic system works. The wastewater leaves your home through typical sanitairy piping and goes to a septic tank. The purpose of the tank is to settle out heavy items (dirt, grit, sand, etc). These items fall to the bottom of the tank. It also allows for floatables (fats, oils and grease) to float to the top of the tank. Somewhere between the bottom and the top of the tank is a non- perforated pipe that leads out of the tank - usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the wall. The idea with this placement is that non-biodegradable heavy items have settled to the bottom and floatables have floated to the top. After the pipe their may or may not be a distribution box. There there is perforated piping that leads down long trenches. the trenches have a specific depth and width depending on the state, soils, etc. Gravel is packed around the pipe, then sand and soil.

The intention is for waste water to leach from the perforated pipe into the gravel (very porus), then to the sand, then to the soil. The wastewater is treated by the natural bacteria and microbes found in the soil.

1. In the internal house piping - this is no different than piping to a public sewer system. It can cause partial or full clogging.
2. In the non-perforated piping. If the septic tank is smaller and there is a big rush of water coming (during a rinse cycle on from your wash machine) the water in the tank can become turbulent and a normally floatable tampon could get pushed into the non perforated piping causing a full or partial clog.
3. In the perforated piping. If the tampon makes it through the non perforated piping, it can and certainly will at least partially clog the perforated piping. As in it won't allow the wastewater out into the soil at a particular location. Furthermore, if the tampon has broken down and there are small fibers in the water, these fibers can coat the inside of the perforated piping causing them to become plugged.

However, lets assume that the tampon has broken down even smaller. The tiny fibers are able to get through the relatively large holes in the perforated piping. The fibers are getting pushed into the gravel, then sand, then soil. As some point they will plug the actual void spaces in the septic field (sand and or soils) reducing the hydraulic capacity of the field. Over time this builds up and leads to failure of the system.

Additionally, typically the strings do not break down and they can get pushed into the piping causing plugging of the holes in the perforated drain pipes.

At least with the cotton fibers of a tampon they typically will break down after a while, but the cotton of the string will stay intact much longer.

I found it funny that another huge culprit to failed septic systems is coffee grounds. They don't sink, they don't float, and they don't breakdown. They get into the sand and soil and plug the drain field.

So Why did your septic guy say tampons aren't a problem. Well, perhaps your tank has a baffle that will prevent them from getting into the piping. Perhaps he assumes that they float and won't get into the piping. But for my $$, I'd avoid it. It isn't cheap to fix a failed drain field. Pumping a tank is cheap...but you may not have a way to recover the drainfield...you may need to go with installing a new one.

As for the poster who said her dad always made them use cheap TP...well, I think he was a pretty smart guy for it! :) I read some where that if you balled up a square of TP, shook it around in a mason jar full of water for 15 seconds and it started to break up, it was good for your septic system. It probably doesn't need to be that thin, but it is important that it can degrade easily and fairly quickly.

Hope that sheds some light on Septic systems. Now back to your regularly scheduled BBB!

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
best, most educational post ever:

:yeahthat: thanks BabbyO for the post. I will definitely think twice about it now.

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Our house is 60+ years old. The day of my son's 3rd birthday party the plumbing backed up (the line from the house to the street). Eek! The plumber did find a tampon in the pipe and was giving me grief.

Anyways, I don't flush anymore ...

I ended up purchasing these (http://www.amazon.com/Scensibles-Personal-Disposal-Sanitary-Tampons/dp/B001PYQE78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345237695&sr=8-1&keywords=personal+disposal+bags) tiny sacks and use them in my home. I know it's wasteful, but they work nicely. On my list to try is diva cup or something.

EllasMum
08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
This is completely eye-opening to me! I have seen those 'please do not flush tampons' signs but always assumed it just referred to the applicator! As a result of this thread, my mind is officially blown. :rotflmao:

In case you hadn't figured it out, I have always flushed and never had a backup. ;)

A1icia
08-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Never - they are bad for plumbing!

liz
08-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I ended up purchasing these (http://www.amazon.com/Scensibles-Personal-Disposal-Sanitary-Tampons/dp/B001PYQE78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345237695&sr=8-1&keywords=personal+disposal+bags) tiny sacks and use them in my home. I know it's wasteful, but they work nicely. On my list to try is diva cup or something.

ok, wow. This thread is eye-opening. I will be using these bags and disposing in the trash from now on. As if having your period wasn't annoying enough.

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-17-2012, 06:08 PM
As if having your period wasn't annoying enough.

Amen to that!

kristenk
08-17-2012, 06:27 PM
This is completely eye-opening to me! I have seen those 'please do not flush tampons' signs but always assumed it just referred to the applicator! As a result of this thread, my mind is officially blown. :rotflmao:

In case you hadn't figured it out, I have always flushed and never had a backup. ;)

I'm almost sorry that I opened this thread and learned about septic systems. I'll either have to change my ways or claim memory loss during certain times of the month.

wellyes
08-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Yes, interesting!

But--- most of us DO NOT have septic systems. My parents are very rural and even they were forced to get "town sewer" a few years ago. I don't know the particulars of it, but, I know that septic tanks are a different animal entirely than what most of us have. And I assume that any large restaurant or store or mall, unless fairly remote, would not have that kind of septic system.

hellbennt
08-17-2012, 09:29 PM
:bagok now I am very sorry that I flushed a couple at my sister's house & I hope that nothing comes of it (how long after can something occur?!) but I didn't want to deal w/ finding a plastic bag & then ditching my used tampon in a public trash can- yes that's what she told me to do! bcse her dog gets crazy and will even get into the garbage in the garage & it all sounded so far-fetched & eeew I am fine w/ my menstrual blood, heck, at home I wear my mama-cloth, but seriously how can she walk around w/ a stash of used tampons in her bag ready to ditch at public trashcan in town? well, I guess mamas w/ dirty diapers do it & I suppose I do w/ my mama-cloth, but just one or two at a time & I was traveling so I had tampons so I just flushed them...

american_mama
08-17-2012, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=joonbug;3574879... Never in my house as I'm terrified of clogging the toilet! I keep a stack of old magazines in the bathroom for that purpose...[/QUOTE]

Ok, now I'm curious about that (and the not flushing if overseas thing too that others mentioned). Are you saying you rip a magazine page out to wrap the tampon in? Is that because the paper is sturdier/coated and the blood won't soak through?

Wow, bathroom habits that I never thought to ask about. I am shocked that the poll is practically 50/50. Don't the tampon boxes say not to flush them, as do signs in many bathrooms? I have never flushed one and thought 9/10 people did the same (i.e. never flushed them).

buddyleebaby
08-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Wow, bathroom habits that I never thought to ask about. I am shocked that the poll is practically 50/50. Don't the tampon boxes say not to flush them, as do signs in many bathrooms? I have never flushed one and thought 9/10 people did the same (i.e. never flushed them).

I just googled "Tampon instructions" and playtex brand says that to dispose of a tampon "flush or place in waste receptacle". They do warn you not to flush the plastic applicator.

I use the diva cup. ;)

AnnieW625
08-17-2012, 11:33 PM
I just googled "Tampon instructions" and playtex brand says that to dispose of a tampon "flush or place in waste receptacle". They do warn you not to flush the plastic applicator.

I think all of the tampon brand boxes say that.

Fairy
08-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Jeez, long thread. Haven't read a single reply, so not sure where this has gone. But here's my take. I wear pads, generally, but even when I do tampons, I just don't understand why anyone would flush it. The risk of clogging up the toilet is too high. Like a pad, just wrap it up in TP and throw it away. What's the big whoop?

Fairy
08-18-2012, 12:23 AM

This is disgusting. Wow. Just ... oh gosh. My dogs never cared to go thru the garbage and fish out my pads, so I can see that being a serious motivator to flush them. But the above is a bigger one for me to continue to not flush them. Eep!

wellyes
08-18-2012, 12:31 AM
When I use tampons, I use OB. They're just a bit of cotton about the size of my thumb. I don't consider it a big clog risk. But, of course, I do respect signs in restaurants asking not to flush anything but TP.
This is disgusting. Wow. Just ... oh gosh. My dogs never cared to go thru the garbage and fish out my pads, so I can see that being a serious motivator to flush them. But the above is a bigger one for me to continue to not flush them. Eep!
I don't get it. The gross part about tampons is the body fluid and blood. Which ends up in the toilet one way or the other for millions of women every day, right?

Fairy
08-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it is funny about the TP. Growing up (w/ septic) my dad insisted on us using Scott TP...we never had the fluffy, quilty stuff. I had TP envy when we went visited friends who had the quilty, squishy brands :rotflmao:

We had a septic in our last house and out of habit we used Scott brand TP. We have public sewer in our current house and we still just use the Scott brand. It is pretty much all I've known ;)

I hate that crap, but lemme tell ya, I'm ready to go there for good. Our hosue (septic, which I hate) just hates the toilets. DH keeps buying Charmin at costco, and I cringe. It's so thick, and I'm like, I'm gonna have to flush three times if I so much as pee too much. Seriously, that stuff doesn't wanna flush no matter how little I use. Northern is SO much better on us, but still, I think the Scott is the only brand that's not gonna bring the plumber out, and we've had him out alot. Our plumber also asks us immeidately, "do you flush tampons" when we have issues, and I'm like NO! and he totally does not believe us. One guy fished out a pen that DS threw in there as a tot. Never grabbed a tampon out, tho.

I'm ready for Scott brand. This is why.

Fairy
08-18-2012, 12:40 AM

I vote this best post of 2012.

Fairy
08-18-2012, 12:44 AM
When I use tampons, I use OB. They're just a bit of cotton about the size of my thumb. I don't consider it a big clog risk. But, of course, I do respect signs in restaurants asking not to flush anything but TP.
I don't get it. The gross part about tampons is the body fluid and blood. Which ends up in the toilet one way or the other for millions of women every day, right?

The concept of a solid tampon making it to a water treatment facility is, in itself, gross to me.

Naranjadia
08-18-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm ready for Scott brand. This is why.

We had so many plumbers tell us to switch to Scott, we finally did it - about 7 years ago. No more plumber calls for that particular problem.

And you actually get used to it. But I do feel like I'm wiping with 800ct Egyptian cotton sheets now when I am at a house with Charmin - ah the luxury. :hysterical:

american_mama
08-18-2012, 03:11 AM
BabbyO, we need more information. You mention sinkables and flotables, but where do, ahem, the most relevant parts of this post fit in... the BMs, the toilet paper, the random baby wipe (flushable or not)? What about food from the kitchen sink? How does this all apply to a non-septic system?

DH throws dental floss in the toilet, so I started doing that too a few years ago, figuring it was so tiny, what could possibly be wrong with it. But now I think I'll stop.

Feeling rather paranoid about plumbing issues now.

queenmama
08-18-2012, 03:40 AM
But--- most of us DO NOT have septic systems. My parents are very rural and even they were forced to get "town sewer" a few years ago. I don't know the particulars of it, but, I know that septic tanks are a different animal entirely than what most of us have. And I assume that any large restaurant or store or mall, unless fairly remote, would not have that kind of septic system.

I'm sure this got lost in the shuffle, but I repeat:

We do not have septic (we're on city plumbing) and the sewer lines have backed up into our basement NUMEROUS times... I'm guessing at least a half-dozen, because I remember telling DH once that we should just break down and buy a Roto Rooter rather than rent the damn thing again! (My poor DH!)

This happened partly because of tampons (not always my fault, but mostly) and partly because we used the bath towel-thick toilet paper. We, too, switched to Scott (the 1000 sheet pkg) and haven't had any backups since.

Maybe we had an issue where some don't because our house & subdivision was built in the 60s? Not exactly ancient, but I can't figure out another reason y'all are getting away with it but I can't!

njk07
08-18-2012, 07:18 AM
I guess I'm not flushing it in anymore. Can I just say that threads like this is why I love this board?

JBaxter
08-18-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm 45 yrs old got my first period at 12.5 have used tampons every period and flushed everyone. We grew up with septic system at home never hand an issue my mom and sister also flushed. Have owned 3 different houses & lived in a couple apartments and have never hand an issue. I guess I'm a freak < I dont flush the applicator > It never occurred to me to wrap them and toss them.

wellyes
08-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Maybe we had an issue where some don't because our house & subdivision was built in the 60s? Not exactly ancient, but I can't figure out another reason y'all are getting away with it but I can't!

My house is 1952, last house was 1950something, before that 1900, before that about 6 apartments in dumpy old houses.... no problems. I have clogged a toilet in my life, but a tampon was never involved. Do you have a lo-flo toilet or something? Or maybe there is an underlying plumbing issue?

AnnieW625
08-18-2012, 09:55 AM
:yeahthat:Our house was built in 1950, the 2 condos, the 2 apartments, and my parents house where I lived prior were all built in the 70s or 80s and I have never had a clog caused by a tampon. Maybe it is just luck.

I will say that we are going to visit the ils for a week and they are on septic so if I happen to get my period while we are there I will definitely wrap and trash just to be safe.

SnuggleBuggles
08-18-2012, 11:08 AM
I've had a clog from flushable wipes and we don't have a septic system. It's not worth it to me to try and flush anything extra anymore.

fortato
08-18-2012, 04:25 PM
NO. NO NO NO.

It cost us $10,000 over a course of 2 years to find out that tampons were clogging our ejector pump for our septic system. Nothing worse than seeing old, nasty tampons being scooped out of your tank....

So, now... I use a Diva cup and the problem is solved.

erosenst
08-18-2012, 05:14 PM
I was talking to one of the plumbers who work for my DH about a friend's plumbing problem - short version of the story, plumbing broke in upper bathroom of 5 year old house on sewer, not septic. Water got in ceiling and broke through to first floor. You can envision the mess, . The issue was tampons, and there were many (many!) included in the mess.

He told me they're known as "white mice" in the business...and there are two kinds of people who flush them - those who are lucky (so far...but only a matter of time) and those who have learned the hard way to not do it. I haven't flushed since.

(I grew up on septic so didn't flush, but then did with high powered toilets elsewhere. Stopped about 10 years ago after my friend's experience/hearing the plumber's explanation.)

joonbug
08-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Call me a weirdo... Lol but I never liked those thick tp kinds. Scott brand is one of my choice in our house, we've used it for years and I'm not planning to stop. We've never had any clogs as well, and have lived in some old apartments with terrible toilets too!

liz
08-18-2012, 07:42 PM
I had to go to CVS today and I noticed these http://www.tampax.com/en-US/products/productDetail.aspx?ID=tampax-radiant

They come with a re-usable wrapper. As listed in the description, "the first ever re-sealable wrapper for worry-free disposal".

dhano923
08-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Non residential pipes can get clogged too! At my work, wehad our first floor restroom toilet overflow 2 years ago, into the hallway and 2 of the (male) owner's offices. The plumber came out and pulled out a huge wad of used tampons from the pipe that joined our building to the street pipe. The owners didn't want to have the "no flushing tampons" talk with the female employees so I had to do it, and have to whenever we hire someone new.

SnuggleBuggles
08-18-2012, 09:54 PM
I wish I'd had my phone earlier today so I could have snapped a pic of an impassioned plea on the bathroom door at a restaurant re. flushing things. "We'll have to call a plumber and close the bathroom. Then your girlfriends will have to wait!". It was timely and entertaining.

georgiegirl
08-18-2012, 10:05 PM
I had to go to CVS today and I noticed these http://www.tampax.com/en-US/products/productDetail.aspx?ID=tampax-radiant

They come with a re-usable wrapper. As listed in the description, "the first ever re-sealable wrapper for worry-free disposal".

I got some of those, but there's no way to easily get a used tampon in there (without putting your fingers on it...ewwww.)

wildfire
08-19-2012, 01:50 AM
I grew up flushing, I stopped when we rented a house where the lease said we'd be responsible for any plumbing issues caused by us. I think I flushed one tampon there, ever. I now use a cup and don't worry about it. We currently live in a house with septic and I have NEVER flushed anything like that here. I am very paranoid about it, actually. The kids have flushed a wipe or two (non-flushable) but that's about it that I know of. We use Cottonelle as a compromise between squishy soft and septic safe.

kijip
08-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Not flushing feminine hygiene products is as firmly cemented in my psyche as "put the lid down" is about toilets. It never occurred to me that it was embarrassing to discard of them in the waste basket or that it was common to flush them.

wellyes
08-19-2012, 02:05 AM

I assume they are talking about putting the applicator in the trash.

Melaine
08-19-2012, 03:50 AM
No, not once. My parents taught me not to from the get-go because of possible plumbing issues. We did have a dog so our bathroom trashcans were little flip-up lidded ones with the foot button. However, now I use the diva cup, and this is just another reason why it makes my life so much better!

Also, Scott is my favorite toilet paper and I think it's funny people think of it as cheap. Scott is what I get when I am splurging!

liz
08-19-2012, 08:47 AM
I got some of those, but there's no way to easily get a used tampon in there (without putting your fingers on it...ewwww.)

bummer, I was hoping this would be a good solution lol.

BabbyO, we pump out our septic tank every year- would this make any difference and help prevent blockage?

sewarsh
08-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I haven't read any of the responses, but I voted Yes I flush.

The main reason for this...
My close friend's 30lb poodle DIED when we were in high school because it ate a tampon out of the trash!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

kbud
08-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Wow, add me to the list that I never, ever hear about not flushing a tampon. i've flushed them for about 30 years without an issue, even when we had a septic tank.

I can't imagine not flushing one, ewwww!

mariza
08-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I grew up in a house on city sewer but my mother always taught me to wrap in TP and throw in trash. None of my dogs were interested in bathroom trash. Now we are on septic and I don't even flush the "flushable" wipes. Too much risk. We had a nanny for a while and it didn't occur to me to tell her not to flush them (or her cigarette butts) we had a major toilet flood in "her" bathroom shortly after she moved out.
And I always buy Northern or Cottonelle but may switch to Scott after this thread ;)

maylips
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Ladies, we just devoted 96 responses to this topic.

Can't wait for my next period so I can figure out how much toilet paper to use to wrap up a tampon and throw it away. Lesson learned.

candaceb
08-19-2012, 10:07 PM
And I always buy Northern or Cottonelle but may switch to Scott after this thread ;)

we have tried every "septic safe" 1-ply toilet paper I could find and have finally settled on Charmin Basic as the "best of the worst". Definitely better than Scott.

A neighbor had septic problems earlier this summer and had to have her entire back yard dug up. It reinforced my vigilance on not putting anything down the pipes that shouldn't be there.

Fairy
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM

Ok, piping in again. Why is it so yucky to touch your own tampon on its way out? Do we not all have our fingers in there for the various need? Who has not gotten blood on their fingers? I've had my fingers in pee, poop, vomit, and blood that wasn't even MY OWN, so what's so yucky about a tampon coming out of my crotch? If you get bloody, wipe it off, wash up when you're done, have a good day. I'm not relating to the yuckiness.

kijip
08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Ok, piping in again. Why is it so yucky to touch your own tampon on its way out? Do we not all have our fingers in there for the various need? Who has not gotten blood on their fingers? I've had my fingers in pee, poop, vomit, and blood that wasn't even MY OWN, so what's so yucky about a tampon coming out of my crotch? If you get bloody, wipe it off, wash up when you're done, have a good day. I'm not relating to the yuckiness.

Word. It's just blood. And mine at that.

wellyes
08-19-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't mind touching a used tampon but I get being unenthusiastic about trying to squeeze it into narrow pouch.

Overall my verdict is: diva cup. So much better, more comfortable, non drying, barely needs changing ever, can't clog pipes.

randomkid
08-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I find it hilarious that there are 100 replies to this thread!! :rotflmao:

wendibird22
08-20-2012, 09:33 AM

I can't explain why it grosses me out. It just does. And this is coming from someone who has a degree in medical technology and spent a lot of time in college and post college spreading all sorts of body fluids on petri dishes. I shouldn't be grossed out but I am. Which is also why I haven't been able to switch to a cup.

Maybe my solution will be to keep a stock of snack size ziplocks in the bathroom and seal it up that way before wrapping in tissue.

Oh, and we use Wegman's brand tp. It's 2 ply but not thick and quilted and yet not sandpaper either.

BabbyO
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
:yeahthat: thanks BabbyO for the post. I will definitely think twice about it now.

I vote this best post of 2012.

Aww...you guys are SO sweet...too bad there are at least 4 grammer errors/typos/missed capitalizations. I was sorta all excited and not paying attention to my typing! :)

BabbyO, we need more information. You mention sinkables and flotables, but where do, ahem, the most relevant parts of this post fit in... the BMs, the toilet paper, the random baby wipe (flushable or not)? What about food from the kitchen sink? How does this all apply to a non-septic system?

DH throws dental floss in the toilet, so I started doing that too a few years ago, figuring it was so tiny, what could possibly be wrong with it. But now I think I'll stop.

Feeling rather paranoid about plumbing issues now.

Well, hopefully the sinkables/floatables, baby wipes, etc all end up getting pumped out of the tank with regular frequency. I can't tell you how often because it depends on the size of your tank and your usage. Your septic hauler can give you a better idea depending on how full it is since he last pumped it.

As for what happens to the BM's & TP. Either they float, sink or break down or a combination. If they float or sink...they are pumped out. Anything that breaks down and comes into solution with the water is pushed out into the septic field. It will leach into the field and become a carbon source for the microbes that "clean" the water as it filters through the gravel, sand and soil.

Babywipes - I'd say definitely not flushable in any system.

For a non-septic system you have some sort of municipal sewer. Some people have a traditional gravity sewer. This means there is a typically 4" dia sewer line that leaves your house and enters the city sewer system. It is sloped so that the water and sewage drains to the larger sewer lines. In newer systems you have PVC plastic piping with fairly tight fittings. However, you can still get tree roots that can fanagle their way in and cause partial or full blockages of your sewer line. Then things like tampons and TP get hung up causing a bigger problem.

Some people, however, live in low-lying areas or have other obstacles to their sewer and they are on small diameter pressure systems. These systems typically consist of a grinder pump - think large garbage disposal to grind up all waste (TP, Food, BM's, etc) that leave the house. Then a pump pushes this slurry of water and organics into a sewer lateral (usually 1 1/2" to 2" dia piping). The sewer lateral then feeds into a slightly larger diameter pressure sewer main (3" - 4"). All of the pumps at each home work to push the sewage to a designated location (Manhole, wastewater treatment plants, lift station, etc).

With food, the reason we have garbage disposals is to grind up the food and make a slurry so that it can flow easily with the waste into the sewer system. Typically you won't see them in homes with septic systems because the food doesn't break down to small enough pieces and could clog the perforated pipes.

Dental floss in a public, gravity sewer system only has the potential to get hung up on existing partial or full clogs making them worse. However, on a pressure/grinder system or in any system with a pump dental floss can get wrapped around the gears in the pump and burn out the motor. Definitely not ideal.

bummer, I was hoping this would be a good solution lol.

BabbyO, we pump out our septic tank every year- would this make any difference and help prevent blockage?

It probably helps, but as I said above, it is dependent on the size of your tank and your water usage. What I gave as a description is for a traditional septic system. There are definitely variations. If you have questions about your specific system your hauler can give you more info about your tank. If you know who installed your field, they could give you more specifics about that, too. There are many other things that could be helping prevent clogging.

I will say I liked the post where the plumber was quoted saying tampons are considered the "White mice" in the industry.

cntrymoon2
08-22-2012, 01:52 AM
So, BabbyO, if I'm on city sewer and- right now at this moment- STOP flushing any thing questionable down the toilet (like wipes (oops) and tampons and occasionally dental floss)- am I in the clear? Or could I still have problems months of years down the road because of previous bad behavior?

This thread was seriously eye-opening. I had no idea this was even an issue. I defer to my father in law on most home improvement type of questions and a few months ago he convinced me it was ok to flush baby wipes down the toilet because "that stuff all gets filtered out at the water treatment plant". YIKES!!

cntrymoon2
08-22-2012, 01:53 AM
And also, not to get off topic, but can someone explain the diva cup to me? Do you rinse it when you change it? Or just dump and reinsert?

lizzywednesday
08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
I do not.

I've always used the Always brand of pads to retain a wrapper for pad disposal and found it odd that my mom found it necessary to discuss not flushing pads with me after my COUSINS clogged their parents' toilet after having flushed what I was told were pads.

I used to flush tampons at school and it never occurred to me not to at home when I was in high school. In college, I had a clog in a dorm toilet that put me off flushing anything that wasn't TP..

I now toss them in the trash or the disposal basket in public restrooms.

brittone2
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
And also, not to get off topic, but can someone explain the diva cup to me? Do you rinse it when you change it? Or just dump and reinsert?
At home I dump it out, rinse/wash, and reinsert.

If I'm in a public restroom, I dump it, wipe it out with some TP and reinsert since I don't exactly want to stroll to the sink with it in hand ;)

There are tons of old threads with tips on using the Diva. There's a learning curve, so give it a little time if you go that route.

BabbyO
08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
So, BabbyO, if I'm on city sewer and- right now at this moment- STOP flushing any thing questionable down the toilet (like wipes (oops) and tampons and occasionally dental floss)- am I in the clear? Or could I still have problems months of years down the road because of previous bad behavior?

This thread was seriously eye-opening. I had no idea this was even an issue. I defer to my father in law on most home improvement type of questions and a few months ago he convinced me it was ok to flush baby wipes down the toilet because "that stuff all gets filtered out at the water treatment plant". YIKES!!

Well, it's sort of 50/50. You could have problems down the road if any of the things you flushed caused a partial blockage. With time it could become bigger and become a full blockage. (Solids - BM, or TP can get hung up on these sorts of blockages).

However, if you stop now, you decrease your changes of having or starting a blockage.

If you truly want to know you'd have to have your service lateral televised. I wouldn't recommend this unless necessary just because it can be pretty costly.

I guess in short, if you haven't had any problems to date, and you stop now, it is the best case scenario.

Fairy
08-22-2012, 11:30 AM
BabbyO, what about garbage disposals on septic? We do have one, and I use it for all kinds of things. I don't put eggshells down it, cuz I was told they won't break down. But I do use it often and am on septic. You'd said in a previous post that this was not something common to have one on septic, and now that I think about it, our plumber said it's generally not done, but here ya go. Is this bad?

BabbyO
08-22-2012, 12:17 PM
BabbyO, what about garbage disposals on septic? We do have one, and I use it for all kinds of things. I don't put eggshells down it, cuz I was told they won't break down. But I do use it often and am on septic. You'd said in a previous post that this was not something common to have one on septic, and now that I think about it, our plumber said it's generally not done, but here ya go. Is this bad?

Is it bad? Maybe. It might be ok if the septic system was designed with the knowledge that a garbage disposal would be installed and used - that is to say the tank was oversized to handle additional solids. The disposal will usually increase the amount of solids that accumulate on the bottom of the tank requiring more frequent pumping. If you're doing ok so far, you may be ok. For my $$ I wouldn't use it.

Don't dump coffee grounds into the disposal either. I know some places say it's ok...but everything I've ever learned says coffee grounds are really tough on septics, esp if they get into the drainfield.

Here is the EPA manual for Septic Owners - lots of great info:

http://www.epa.gov/owm/septic/pubs/homeowner_guide_long.pdf

Fairy
08-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks! Ok, one more thing. I have never understood how ground water works, and you mention how the septic field has gravel and such and natural filters to the waste water. Well, does that then ... become ground water? Which then becomes our house water? I've always had Chicago city water, best on earth, I love it. Now for the last 14 years we've had this crappy well water, and it isn't eggy, thank god, but I hate it. What are we drinking when we drink it? When we shower in it? When I wash stuff in it? What exactly IS ground water, and how is it not all ... groundy? YOu seem to be an expert, here, and I am not wanting to google this cuz I'm lazy and you're a good explainer.

o_mom
08-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks! Ok, one more thing. I have never understood how ground water works, and you mention how the septic field has gravel and such and natural filters to the waste water. Well, does that then ... become ground water? Which then becomes our house water? I've always had Chicago city water, best on earth, I love it. Now for the last 14 years we've had this crappy well water, and it isn't eggy, thank god, but I hate it. What are we drinking when we drink it? When we shower in it? When I wash stuff in it? What exactly IS ground water, and how is it not all ... groundy? YOu seem to be an expert, here, and I am not wanting to google this cuz I'm lazy and you're a good explainer.

I'll let her explain the filtration, but think about this one... our town treats the wastewater and discharges it into the river, which flows downstream and fills the reservoir that the next town pulls their drinking water from....

BabbyO
08-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Oh, this cracks me up! Yes, it becomes groundwater - generally after a LONG time. As does rain that falls on the earth and seeps into the soil, as does runoff from streets and parking lots that seeps into the soil. The water travels through the soil until it reaches the an aquifer - where all the soil is saturated with water. That is to say all of the void spaces are full of water. Think of an aquifer as an underground lake with soil in it.

Groundwater basically is any water that is soaked up by the ground. It moves through the soil and on its way through the soil, sand, etc. In the case of water from septic systems, it is "cleaned" on its way through the soil. That is to say that microbes use the carbon sources (BM, TP, etc) in the septic water as food sources, removing them from the water and "cleaning" it.

So eventually the water from your septic system will become ground water. However, the water usually takes a long time (years or decades) to reach the aquifer underground.

In the case of your well, it is tapped into a shallow aquifer (because it is cheaper to drill under 100 ft). It should not be affected by your septic system even though it is a shallow aquifer. (there are regulations to where you can place wells and septic systems requiring sufficient separation to ensure that contamination cannot occur.)

City wells often come from deep aquifers (wells drilled are 100 ft or more) because they need to serve many more people and pull very large quantities of water from the aquifer. If a city well pulled from a shallow aquifer it could literally dry it up.

I suspect that your well water tastes crappy to you for two reasons. 1. There are minerals in the soil imparting a taste to the water. This is very common, especially if Iron is present in the soil.
2. City water - even from wells - is treated to remove harness and excess minerals that impart tastes and odors to the water. So even if your well water came from the same well as the city water, you may get undesirable tastes and odors, while the water sent via the city will not have them.

http://www.groundwater.org/kc/whatis.html

Fairy
08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
You're the best.

I don't want my ground water. I want my nice filtered city water. Oh well.

You're the best.

BabbyO
08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
I'll let her explain the filtration, but think about this one... our town treats the wastewater and discharges it into the river, which flows downstream and fills the reservoir that the next town pulls their drinking water from....

Yep...that is why there is a water treatment plant as well as a wastewater treatment plant! ;)

Fairy - I like my city water better than my parents well water to. That said, some well water is just DELICIOUS!!! - cold and not all funky tasting. If you were in Chicago and you're in an outlying area now the taste and odor issues come from the rock formations your aquifer is located in. Common in our area, too.