PDA

View Full Version : Outward facing baby in Moby wrap?

BabyBearsMom
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Is there a way to wrap your Moby to have the baby facing out? DD2 really wants to face out (she is going exorcist on me trying to turn her head around when she is facing in) so I wanted to give it a try.

lizzywednesday
08-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Yes, but it'll be killer on your back and, if I remember correctly, you have back problems. Putting baby FFO can exacerbate back issues because it changes your center of gravity.

Plus, in a stretchy wrap, you don't exactly have the same "support" as a woven - the stretch of the stretchy fabric kind of makes the baby sag, which tugs on your back by making you curve your spine inward.

Is she sitting up on her own yet? If she's able to sit up on her own, you can try a back-carry in your Ergo.

BabyBearsMom
08-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Yes, but it'll be killer on your back and, if I remember correctly, you have back problems. Putting baby FFO can exacerbate back issues because it changes your center of gravity.

Plus, in a stretchy wrap, you don't exactly have the same "support" as a woven - the stretch of the stretchy fabric kind of makes the baby sag, which tugs on your back by making you curve your spine inward.

Is she sitting up on her own yet? If she's able to sit up on her own, you can try a back-carry in your Ergo.

Yeah I don't have a great back. I'm kind of planning on making my DH do it once I figure it out although he does not love to wear the Moby (he insists that DD2 isn't comfortable in it when he wears it becuase he doesn't have "chest pillows" like me). She isn't sitting on her own yet and she is a little small for the Ergo without the infant insert. I tried it the other day but it was cutting off circulation in her little foot, so I had to frog her back up. Now you are just making me want to buy a Gemini but I already have 3 carriers!

lizzywednesday
08-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah I don't have a great back. I'm kind of planning on making my DH do it once I figure it out although he does not love to wear the Moby (he insists that DD2 isn't comfortable in it when he wears it becuase he doesn't have "chest pillows" like me). She isn't sitting on her own yet and she is a little small for the Ergo without the infant insert. I tried it the other day but it was cutting off circulation in her little foot, so I had to frog her back up. Now you are just making me want to buy a Gemini but I already have 3 carriers!

Honestly, I'd go with a Pikkolo over the Gemini because the base is wider ... not that I'm enabling or anything, but the woman who taught us the back carry in the Ergo says that carriers are like shoes - you have different pairs for different occasions/functions, so carriers are a lot like that, too.

Your other option would be a high-back carry in a mei tei or woven wrap (NOT with the Moby - they no longer recommend it as the stretchy fabric is not as supportive of wee babes when a parent can't monitor their position & breathing) after someone teaches you how. It's hard now that you're back to work, but there might be a babywearing group near you that keeps an occasional evening meeting open for working mamas. (Mine does; I love them for it.)

BabyBearsMom
08-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Honestly, I'd go with a Pikkolo over the Gemini because the base is wider ... not that I'm enabling or anything, but the woman who taught us the back carry in the Ergo says that carriers are like shoes - you have different pairs for different occasions/functions, so carriers are a lot like that, too.

Your other option would be a high-back carry in a mei tei or woven wrap (NOT with the Moby - they no longer recommend it as the stretchy fabric is not as supportive of wee babes when a parent can't monitor their position & breathing) after someone teaches you how. It's hard now that you're back to work, but there might be a babywearing group near you that keeps an occasional evening meeting open for working mamas. (Mine does; I love them for it.)

I've read that the Pikkolo isn't as good if you are broader/bigger on top, so that is why I was leaning towards the Becco. Sadly, my DH doesn't understand why I have so many pairs of shoes either, so I don't think that argument would hold much weight :hysterical:

lizzywednesday
08-17-2012, 10:45 AM
I've read that the Pikkolo isn't as good if you are broader/bigger on top, so that is why I was leaning towards the Becco. Sadly, my DH doesn't understand why I have so many pairs of shoes either, so I don't think that argument would hold much weight :hysterical:

Guys are functional - they have a pair of work shoes, a pair of sneakers and mostly they're good. If they go one step further, they've got a pair of work/dress shoes in black, the same pair in brown and a pair of sneakers. (My DH also has a pair of waterproof hiking boots that he uses to shovel snow.)

Women, not all of us but surely some, have spring/summer shoes, fall/winter shoes, casual shoes, dress shoes, work shoes and boots, which are their own entity. Different shoes suit different occasions - like I'm not going to wear my disgusting and beat-up New Balances to DH's friend's wedding, but I'll totally wear them while going to the grocery store.