PDA

View Full Version : Dh & opc

ha98ed14
08-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Does your husband take/show interest in other people's children?

maestramommy
08-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Depends. My Dh is one of those men that doesn't exactly dislike children. It's more that he's slightly afraid of them, finds them unpredictable and anxiety-provoking:p. He likes his nieces pretty well, and will play with kids of either good friends or close relatives. But he's not the kind of person who finds children adorable or super interesting just on their own.

hellokitty
08-17-2012, 09:38 PM
My dh is a kid magnet. He's basically a big kid himself. So, he's good about goofing off with them.

4stheCharm
08-17-2012, 09:40 PM
yes, there are certain kids he likes and others he can't stand....

joonbug
08-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Same here! Other peoples kids always come up to him and want to play with lol... He s a big kid himself.

Pyrodjm
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM
DH loves children and babies. Even when we were teens he loved playing with little kids. He was always making faces with them on the train, teaching little boys hanging out around the courts the basic of basketball, etc. Now that he's a dad instead of just liking kids, he's protective of them. He's the person keeping an eye on the entrance to the playground to make sure none of the little kids wander off.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-17-2012, 09:55 PM
My dh is a kid magnet. He's basically a big kid himself. So, he's good about goofing off with them.

:yeahthat:

niccig
08-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes and No.

Yes - our 2 god-daughters, he'll play with kids on the playground in DS's class and at parties. The kids come up and drag him out.

No - babysitting other people's kids. He's fine with our 2 god-daughters and a couple of DS's close friends. When DS was younger and our playgroup swapped babysitting, I always did it when DH was at work. Friends would want to swap date nights and DH never would go for it.

ahisma
08-17-2012, 09:58 PM
He's a teacher, so I guess it comes naturally. He's as likely as me to be "manning" a playdate. I don't know that he goes out of his way to interact with kids (more so with teens, the age that he teaches), but he does engage with them and generally knows the names of and can recognize the kids' classmates and recall a few basic facts.

If we were at a park he wouldn't take the initiative to interact with a kid there but would be responsive if the child took the initiative. He does engage with our friend's kids, etc.

Giantbear
08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Just call me the pied piper, but in a good way

crl
08-17-2012, 10:07 PM

No. He's a lot like my dad. His kids are fine. He refuses to be responsible for opc.

Catherine

bisous
08-17-2012, 10:12 PM

This is my DH. You should have seen him at DS2's lego party. He made a muppet (yes I understand that probably needs qualification--suffice it to say he is an artist for Disney and has artisty-disneyesque hobbies!) and the kids were enthralled. Better than any entertainer I could have hired!

wellyes
08-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah, he's great with kids. I think because he genuinely enjoys their company. I think he will be a coach when our kids are a little older.

SnuggleBuggles
08-17-2012, 10:39 PM
He likes very few OPKs but almost all really like him. Eta- he is, of course, very nice to them.

jgenie
08-17-2012, 10:47 PM
DH will be nice to OPK but he would never seek them out. DH doesn't relate well to kids. He does better as kids get older.

wendmatt
08-17-2012, 11:08 PM
No, DH does not like kids, loves dd but that is it

amldaley
08-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Under age 10, yes...he'll talk, play, be goofy, make jokes. But once they hit "tween", they make him nervous and they sort of see through his jokes, etc.

elliput
08-18-2012, 07:58 AM
No. Which is interesting considering how he talked a big game before we had kids. :rotflmao:

jjjo1112
08-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes- my DH is great with other people's kids. We met at the YMCA where he was the director of youth sports- so he's always been a kid person :) I think the older kids in our neighborhood really want DH to play when they come and ask DS to play. DS is 6 and the neighborhood kids are 10-12, most of the time DH ends up playing to supervise.

hellokitty
08-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Oh and I forgot all about babies. My dh is like an old lady. He looooves holding little babies. I'm not much of a baby person myself, so I've always found it really interesting how eager he is to snuggle with babies. Some of my friends are shocked when he asks to hold their baby. I guess that you don't run into too many men who like holding babies. It's like me and puppies. I always want to hold puppies, he likes babies. When my kids were babies it was nice though. He never got tired of holding them and I'm sure that he will love being a grandfather.

MamaKath
08-18-2012, 11:53 AM
He tries. Many times he is intimidating to kids (he is a tall guy and in general quiet/shy) but our friends' kids he really enjoys and is often referred to as "Uncle". He is petrified of babies though, lol.

lalasmama
08-18-2012, 12:39 PM

SO is a teacher, so, generally, yeah, he shows an interest in other people's school aged children. Now, babies? He looks at them, pokes a finger at them, says "cute," and then hands them over to me... but once they are old enough to talk with and such, he's totally there. Not a silly "big" big kid, per se, but more chatting and such, learning about them.

twowhat?
08-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Sort of. He won't go out of his way to interact with opks, but if they seek out his attention, he's great about goofing around with them. If opks fall and bump heads or scrape knees or otherwise need help, he's often the first one there to make sure they're ok.

But - apart from that he won't seek out opks attention or make any big effort at interacting.

I'm the opposite, which is interesting because I am SO not a kid person. But weirdly, I love interacting with opks and it just melts my heart when opks talk about me, ask about me, or otherwise want to see me.

And...

This is my DH. You should have seen him at DS2's lego party. He made a muppet (yes I understand that probably needs qualification--suffice it to say he is an artist for Disney and has artisty-disneyesque hobbies!) and the kids were enthralled. Better than any entertainer I could have hired!
Coolest job EVER!!! Seriously!!!!

kijip
08-18-2012, 02:18 PM
A lot of kids are drawn to my husband. Some kids are scared of his beard. It's a mixed bag.