PDA

View Full Version : DC travel - where to stay?

ahisma
08-17-2012, 09:26 PM
We are traveling to DC in the spring and would like to stay in a VRBO rental (family of 5, prefer a kitchen - it's easier!) Budget is a big factor.

We don't need to be in DC and are content to commute in on the metro. What areas should I be looking in? I've looked in Falls Church, where else?

I grew up in Fairfax but it's been a long time. We'll likely hit a few museums, the national zoo, check out my old neighborhood, maybe drive to Harper's Ferry. What else should be on my list? We'll have a car but would like to leave it parked as much as possible.

TwinFoxes
08-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Since you're doing VRBO, I'd say Arlington, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, and parts of Alexandria. Falls Church is nice, but I don't think of it as especially convenient to DC. I'm sure there are areas I'm forgetting. I think Arlington would be #1 onmy list. Stuff to do, usually safe, and convenient.

SnuggleBuggles
08-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Arlington is my 1st pick too.

ahisma
08-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I didn't even know about this board - oops!

The recommendations were really helpful, we found a VRBO rental that should work out perfectly - yay! It's in Takoma Park and right by a food co-op - perfect for our food issues:)

Now we just have to plan the trip, but we have plenty of time for that. We are going to request congressional tour passes for the White House, Capitol, Bureau of Engraving and Printing and the Supreme Court (me and 14yo DD only) - am I missing anything?

How much of a pain is it to bring an umbrella stroller on the Metro? I'm not sure if we're going to bother with it or not, but DS2 gets tired of walking long before anyone else...

TwinFoxes
08-18-2012, 09:52 PM
If you'll be here over Easter, you should try to get tix for the Easter egg roll at the White House. Otherwise, I think you've got everything you need to pre-book. Lots of other attractions of course...just a matter of picking what's interesting to you. I'm glad you found a place to rent.

weech
08-18-2012, 09:55 PM
How much of a pain is it to bring an umbrella stroller on the Metro? I'm not sure if we're going to bother with it or not, but DS2 gets tired of walking long before anyone else...

It's not a big deal as long as you can carry it sometimes - it can be a pain to find/wait for an elevator, so we just fold ours and take the escalators. We're taking DS to the zoo in the morning and we're definitely taking a stroller.

jammytoast
08-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Clarendon, hands down.

Eta: oops! Didn't see you got a place in Takoma park! Love it there--good friends live close to metro and it's a super cute neighborhood. Fantastic farmers market, too :)

ahisma
08-19-2012, 12:13 AM
If you'll be here over Easter, you should try to get tix for the Easter egg roll at the White House. Otherwise, I think you've got everything you need to pre-book. Lots of other attractions of course...just a matter of picking what's interesting to you. I'm glad you found a place to rent.

Oh! I didn't even thing about that, we are there over Easter. It's a lottery now, right? I did it a few years when I was a kid, it would be really cool if were lucky enough to get our names drawn. Not holding my breath, but why not try. Thanks!

TwinFoxes
08-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Yes, it's now a lottery for the Easter Egg roll. Usually someone posts in the Lounge when the lottery opens.

LD92599
08-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Bookmark this site for the Easter Egg roll - at this point for 2013 it's all politics til November!

http://whitehouse.gov1.info/easter-egg-roll/

Seitvonzu
08-19-2012, 10:02 PM
definitely try the lottery for the easter egg roll! you never know- you might get picked! our family did :) and it was certainly an exciting experience. it was VERY hot-- so if you do end up selected, follow the number one rule of the hunger games: FIND THE WATER. :) (esp if it's a billion degrees)

i have other tips too like : stick sunscreen (they'll take your liquid sunscreen and this combined with a lack of water can be a very bad day!)

the link for the egg roll above is from a parody site. this is the real whitehouse page-- there won't be more details until closer to the event. i usually try to remind people when the lottery opens on the lounge :) :
http://www.whitehouse.gov/easterEggRoll

we were just in dc for the day. i always say i'm going to leave the stroller behind (find it a bother), but DC involves so much walking that i'm always glad in the end that i have it. we have a mclaren and it spends lots of time folded but we like to have it.

TwinFoxes
08-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Bookmark this site for the Easter Egg roll - at this point for 2013 it's all politics til November!

http://whitehouse.gov1.info/easter-egg-roll/

I'm pretty sure that's not the real site!

ETA: I see pp posted the legit site. :)