PDA

View Full Version : Verifying funds

Claki
08-18-2012, 05:17 PM
So, I was selling something on Craig's List, and the person emailed to say they were running an hour late. I had a hair appt, so DH was going to have to handle it. I told him to minimum price and couple of other things. It never occurred to me to tell him no checks. I thought he knew that. Not only did he accept a check, it doesn't have a name or address on it. It looks a little bit off to me.

Now it's 5 p.m. on Saturday. The check is from Chase and none of those banks are open here until Monday. My bank is open in a grocery store until 7 p.m. but my hair dresser told me to go straight to their bank.

Is there anything I can do before their bank opens on Monday? It's for $60.

I'm really shocked DH at least didn't call and ask me. Or tell them there is a Chase ATM around the corner. It was college students.

JElaineB
08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
If they are college students maybe they just opened the account and have starter checks. I would wait and take it to a Chase bank on Monday to cash. If the check isn't good, your DH owes you $60!

amldaley
08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
If they are college students maybe they just opened the account and have starter checks. I would wait and take it to a Chase bank on Monday to cash. If the check isn't good, your DH owes you $60!

:yeahthat:

wellyes
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Hope it works out!

kijip
08-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Just go to Chase to cash it. If it is bad, then at least you know that and don't get a returned item fee from your bank. Hopefully it's just kids with starter checks. N

kcimato
08-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Just for future reference, I always put Cash Only in my ad. Then they know up front.

cntrymoon2
08-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Was it legit?