PDA

View Full Version : Car/booster seats needed?

Kendra
08-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Trying to figure out what we'll have to lug - we'll have a 7 year old (currently 47 pounds) and a 4-1/2 year old (about 34 pounds). Looks like we don't need anything for DC#1 for plane, but do they REQUIRE a car seat for less than 40 pounds? In Florida, also looking at this: http://sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm makes me think we can just use a backless booster for our little one (normally they are both harnessed) and the 7 yo would be OK with nothing? We are only driving from Tampa area (family visit) to Orlando, then a day at Universal from the Disney resort, then turning the car in.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kendra

KrisM
08-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Most 7 year olds are not tall enough to ride in just an adult seatbelt. The law may allow it, but that doesn't make it safe! I'd bring a backless for the oldest. I'd harness the youngest. I'd also practice the booster seat for a week or two before going, if she's never been in a booster before.

Kendra
08-18-2012, 11:05 PM
I also assume that if we can go with less on the plane, we can rent carseats with the car rental - has anyone had experience with that?

nrp
08-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I also assume that if we can go with less on the plane, we can rent carseats with the car rental - has anyone had experience with that?

It is recommended around here to avoid renting a carseat, since you never know what condition it will be in, whether it's been in an accident or expired, or even for sure if they will have the proper kind on hand when you need it. I'd bring a backless for your older (the bubblebum is perfect for travel and so tiny if you are willing to buy something). For your 4-yo, I'd bring a harnessed seat. It doesn't cost to check it, at least! We just travelled and rented a car with our three with an infant seat, a radian, and a booster, and while not exactly a breeze, it really wasn't that bad.

lalasmama
08-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes, you *could* rent seats from the car rental place, but from what I've heard, you never know what you're going to get... in other words, you could be dealing with a damaged seat, or just a dirty, smelly seat, and there's no guarantee that it's going to fit your needs well... or even fit the rental car well. And you'd be dealing with installing a seat that you aren't used to, in a car that you aren't used to. We all know the rates of seats installed incorrectly is astounding, and (IMO) renting a car seat is just asking for it to be installed incorrectly, just because you aren't used to it.

Personally, I'd do a backless booster for the older child. You can't use it on the plane, since it needs a shoulder and lap belt, but then you will be ready for the rental car. Airlines don't count a car seat or booster as a carry-on.

Since your 4 yo is still pretty small, I'd just bring your normal seat. You'll know how to install it, and the child will probably appreciate *something* familiar on such a trip (at least mine would have).

http://flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2010/316.613 has the actual statute for child car seat safety for Florida. I can't believe their law sucks as bad as it does. From that site (underlining mine) :

316.613 Child restraint requirements.—
(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined herein, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

Kendra
08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks! I didn't realize that abt rental carseats. I can turn our Nautilus into a backless for the trip, and we could bring the Maestro - I think it's the smallest & def the lightest. I also worried abt checking it counting as luggage so thx for that info too. Still have a lot of homework to do obviously!

Kendra