PDA

View Full Version : What to give a Dr as a bday gift?

bigsis
08-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm going to a good friend's bday party---a well-to-do doctor. I don't know what to get her. I haven't gone gift-shopping for a grown up in a looooooong time :bag HELP!

nrp
08-18-2012, 10:46 PM
When I can't think of what to get someone, I often do a little monogrammed doodad. We have a monogram shop nearby that stocks a ton of gift items that seem more special when you have them personalized.

wallawala
08-18-2012, 10:54 PM
What's your target range?

sntm
08-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Nice bath salts etc are an easy good choice. Or decent bottle of wine - doesn't have to be expensive just meaningful or unusual

Twin Mom
08-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Massage/Facial/Mani Pedi
A gift card to a place you know she likes is always nice (store, restaurant, spa)

hellokitty
08-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Some gourmet food in a basket? If she likes to cook, maybe a selection of Penzey's spices? GC to a nice restaurant?

HannaAddict
08-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Bottle of nice wine. No mani pedis or bath salts unless a "girlfriend" good friend, most adults I know who are doctors or lawyers are pretty set in their ways and pick their own places and bath type items (in my experience too personal). A gorgeous flower arrangement or foodie basket too would work if you know her style.

happyturtles
08-19-2012, 01:57 AM
I agree with the bottle of wine. It's really the thought that counts. I'm not a fan of giving or receiving mani/pedi or massage certificates because I feel like its similar to a gift card, with the dollar amount obvious. Plus, I already have a regular nail salon/massage I prefer. I actually still have some gifted certificates unused.

TwinFoxes
08-19-2012, 05:16 AM
I like the wine or the Penzeys idea the best. I kind of agree in this case re: mani/pedi. I think those are good for people who don't tend to go because it's a treat. But it sounds like for her it might not be considered a treat. Pre-kids I used to get pedicures regularly, and if I had gotten a gift card to a different place I would have been grateful, but it would have gone unused.

What do you know about her other than she's a doctor? Does she have any particular interests?

MamaMolly
08-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm just a humble housewife ;) but one of my favorite birthday gifts last year was a soft light weight scarf. One of those you can wear just about any time of year. It wasn't $$$ but soft and pretty, and really I think of that friend every time I wear it.

kristenk
08-19-2012, 11:08 AM
If she's a good friend, you know what kinds of things she likes, so you're way ahead of us here! Does she have any hobbies? Does she like to cook? Hate to cook?

I bet we can come up with some really good suggestions if you tell us more about her.