PDA

View Full Version : Update in OP:book or book character themed party? 7yo

maestramommy
08-19-2012, 02:06 PM
UPDATE:
So suddenly at bedtime Dora is asking if she can wear her ballet recital costume for her party. I say, "I thought you wanted to dress as Ladybug girl." To which she replies, "No I want to dress as a princess." I say, " Aren't you having a book party?" "No I want a princesses go to the ball party."

WTF. I have a headache.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So through a series of discussions Dora has agreed to a party in which guests are invited to come dressed as their favorite book character. She is dressing as Ladybug Girl. We did this as a compromise because she still wants to invite the same neighbors and friends, 3 whom are boys and might not go for her original idea, princesses go to the ball party:p

So other than the dressup part, I am stumped. Has anyone had a books party? One that does book themed activities but is not centered on a single book? It's going to be an outdoor party, but we are 2-1 for getting rained in. :tongue5:

squimp
08-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I think it's a great idea. At school we have "book character day" around Halloween, and everyone dresses up as their favorite character - it's really sweet. You could ask kids to dress up, or provide dress-up materials as an activity. A book exchange or books as favors would be fun too.

KpbS
08-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I like PP suggestion of a book exchange. I probably would play the traditional party games like musical chairs, pin the tail, maybe charades or freeze tag. Have a fun party!

maestramommy
08-19-2012, 04:54 PM
I like PP suggestion of a book exchange. I probably would play the traditional party games like musical chairs, pin the tail, maybe charades or freeze tag. Have a fun party!

Ooh Freeze tag! That's a great idea. There is a set of 9yo twins, one of them male. VERY active. AFter the last party I was beginning to worry that our parties couldn't contain him anymore. But more physical games would be great. Now if only it doesn't rain!

DietCokeLover
08-19-2012, 05:36 PM
My first thought was Jack and Annie from the Magic Treehouse books. You could dress as Morgan Le Fay and lead them on a master librarian "scavenger" book hunt.

fedoragirl
08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
A friend of mine had a Dr. Seuss book themed party for her twins. She even made a Cat in the Hat cake. They did a book exchange and dressed as Seuss characters. It was really cute. Sorry I don't remember the games.