PDA

View Full Version : Flying with your strollers, do you use a bag?

todzwife
08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Even if just a red "gate check" bag to keep it from getting super dirty?

kaharris83
08-19-2012, 06:39 PM
The times we have flown with a stroller I used a bag. The first time it was a Frog in the Bugaboo bag gate checked. The next time it was a rolling suitcase and we put the BJCM in it and checked the bag. The next time we flew with the G-Luxe in the Uppa travel bag and gate checked it. The gate checked strollers in bags almost always ended up at baggage claim after the flights instead of on the jetbridge. We were told most people usually don't put their strollers in bags so the baggage guys end up sending them to baggage claim.

crl
08-19-2012, 06:42 PM
I never have. I have flown maybe six times with a nice umbrella with ds, twice with a nice umbrella with dd and once with my micralite superlite fast fold. So far so good. No damage and not even dirty.

Catherine

candaceb
08-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I am probably going to start sounding like Annie recommending the Triumph because I say the same thing every time this question is asked... I use a bag every time (we travel quite a bit - we will make our 4th trip by air this year in september) and based on how dirty my stroller and car seat bags have gotten, I am glad I use them. I just have the basic jl Childress red gate check bags and they are duck taped together at the seams but they serve their purpose.

ZeeBaby
08-19-2012, 07:07 PM
I did the first time we traveled, but I didn't bother this time. Now my stroller days are ending so I don't imagine I would again.

hillview
08-19-2012, 07:59 PM
I voted no never -- only exception was a half dozen times with the P&T sport double with all the double stuff I needed (it doesn't fold in a single piece).

WatchingThemGrow
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I voted YES, ALWAYS! but now that I think about it, that's not true. I bag my BELOVED strollers - BJCED, BJCMD, and Cameleon. We let the Maclaren take a chance on getting trashed. It gets a bit dirtier each time.

RV Mom
08-20-2012, 01:12 AM
We just traveled across country and used a stroller bag. I will it again as we have several trips planned over the coming months. I would recommend it.
I use a Britex stroller and they have travel bags for both the carseats and strollers. The bag worked well for the stroller.

hapimommy
08-20-2012, 03:03 AM
We travel with our umbrella strollers and never bag them, and they have not gotten dirty. My cousin flew out from new York last month, and her husband insisted putting their quest in a bag to protect it. Because the handlers couldn't see it, they either must have grabbed it funny, or placed something heavy on top of it, and one of the handles broke off. They tried to make due with some duct tape, but it actually broke through an aluminum connection, so I fear placing my stroller in a bag.

roseyloxs
08-20-2012, 07:57 AM
I usually don't use a bag. I do use one if I am checking it at the counter instead of the gate. I have also used one for my bee because its the bee and costs a lot more then umbrellas or the other CL strollers I have used for travel.

I have been pretty lucky but I will say that my CL '08 indie did get some black grease lines on the canopy that I was never able to remove. I got it for a $150 with a TON of accessories so I didn't really care too much.

If you don't want to buy a bag to fit your new umbrella double I would probably just bring a garbage bag and a couple of bungee cords to try and protect the canopies and fabric from dirt and grime.

wellyes
08-20-2012, 07:59 AM
No, and I've flown quite a bit. I've never had a problem.

The advantage to a bag is that you can stuff some extra stuff in it, usually.

liamsmom
08-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I voted YES, ALWAYS! but now that I think about it, that's not true. I bag my BELOVED strollers - BJCED, BJCMD, and Cameleon. We let the Maclaren take a chance on getting trashed. It gets a bit dirtier each time.

:yeahthat: The first time I flew with a stroller, I had a Maclaren Thurston Ryder (Al!) that has really nice fabrics and leather handles. I used a bag for that. The second time we took a BJCM (bought specifically for the trip) and I didn't bother. Nothing bad happened to it.

I like throwing the car seat (if it's not going in the plane) in a bag because then I don't have to fuss with all of the straps.