PDA

View Full Version : Need help letting DS take charge of PT

ExcitedMamma
08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I am very proud of DS, he has been wearing regular underpants now for weeks with no accidents, but this is with me being in charge of taking him potty. I remind him about staying dry and ask him if he needs to go but I usually make sure he goes about very hour. Sometimes he'll ask to go sooner and if we are running errands or something he can wait for 2+ hrs. It seems like I should turn the potty schedule over to him now but I'm not sure the best way to do it. Should I just tell him it's up to him now? Or slowly increase the frequency that I take him potty? I want to make sure that things continue to go well and not have any setbacks.

BabbyO
08-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I'll be keeping an eye on this...we'll be at this crossroads very soon.

jgenie
08-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Congrats on the potty training!! DS2 is the same age as your DS and we've been potty training for a week. We use the 3 day potty training method. The plan puts him in charge of telling me when he needs to go potty. I remind him from time to time to let me know when he needs to go to the bathroom and leave it at that. We used the same program when we potty trained DS1. Since your DS is doing so well it should be easy to hand over the reigns to him. Good luck!!

ExcitedMamma
08-23-2012, 10:39 AM
For anyone in this situation and interested I decided to turn the reigns completely over to DS. I told him he was doing so great that he could be in charge of going potty. He now tells me he wants to go about 2+ hrs and he's much happier, clearly that explains he crankiness that I often received in making him go sooner! So if you're like me and having trouble letting go for fear of accidents and setbacks I would say to give it a try. We do still insist on going potty when he wakes up, before sleeping and before we go out.