PDA

View Full Version : no!no! hair removal or other options

urbanmommy
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Just wondering if anyone has one of these and if you would recommend it or something else.
My main concern is facial hair. I'm blessed with a lot of hair but it it pops up in some unwelcome places, i.e., my chin and neck, and seems to be doing so with greater frequency as I get older. fun.
I'm pretty diligent about plucking and keep tweezers and a magnifying mirror strategically placed around my house and in my car so that I can get rid of them before they're noticeable but I'd love to just not have to worry about them.

TIA for your advice!

Snow mom
08-20-2012, 01:15 PM
If you have light skin and the hair is at least a bit dark you might be a good candidate for laser hair removal. The problem is that hair in these areas is hormonally driven and so even with the recommended number of laser treatments its likely to be a problem again eventually. You can kill the active follicles with laser treatment but eventually enough other follicles will pop up that you may (or may not?) want to do it again.

ETA: I just googled the no no hair removal system and it sounds like a waste of money. Look at the reviews on Amazon--I've never seen such an overwhelming majority of 1 star ratings.

deborah_r
08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone has one of these and if you would recommend it or something else.
My main concern is facial hair. I'm blessed with a lot of hair but it it pops up in some unwelcome places, i.e., my chin and neck, and seems to be doing so with greater frequency as I get older. fun.
I'm pretty diligent about plucking and keep tweezers and a magnifying mirror strategically placed around my house and in my car so that I can get rid of them before they're noticeable but I'd love to just not have to worry about them.

TIA for your advice!

I am having this problem, much worse than ever now, and I don't know what to do. It seems like some of the hairs start out in-grown, and they create a pimple-like bump as well. It's driving me crazy.

urbanmommy
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
ETA: I just googled the no no hair removal system and it sounds like a waste of money. Look at the reviews on Amazon--I've never seen such an overwhelming majority of 1 star ratings.[/QUOTE]

Oooh, thanks. I didn't think to look on amazon for reviews. Wow, pretty dismal. Guess this isn't the answer.

MSWR0319
08-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I am having this problem, much worse than ever now, and I don't know what to do. It seems like some of the hairs start out in-grown, and they create a pimple-like bump as well. It's driving me crazy.

:yeahthat: I have the exact same problem.

smiles33
08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I tweeze normally, but I just bought an Emjoi electric tweezer for a more efficient/faster result. It seems like it may be working (only used it once and the hair wasn't quite long enough to tweeze yet so this is a premature review). I just don't know if it's pulling all the hair out at the root or snapping some of it off at the skin. I can report back in a week!

MamaInMarch
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
I am Italian and have PCOS so as you can imagine this is a recipe for fun times with hair removal. I have yet to find any satisfactory method of permanant removal. And waxing tears up my skin.

So I tried threading and it's wonderful! The skin is smooth as butter with no redness right away for me. And it lasts pretty well (better than tweezing for me). I have it done but have been watching videos on YouTube and practicing to do it myself. I am hoping to get to the point that I can just buzz over my trouble spots every other day or so.

mom2binsd
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
For my upper lip and chin/neck I use the 7.99 personal trimmers, I get the refills online for 2.99. You can find them anywhere at Walgreens, CVS, just look by the hair removal products, they are small, thin, take AAA batteries. I love mine!

Those no!no! infomercials make it look awesome, but I've read many places that it's a big NO NO so to speak, not effective and can make a mess of your skin.

lovin2shop
08-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Avoid the No No, it is absolutely AWFUL. I couldn't send it back fast enough! Quite honestly, it may be the worst product I have ever purchased.

hellokitty
08-21-2012, 11:49 AM
This is not who I bought it from, but it's a pic of the tool I use. I love this item. Someone here recommended it a while back and I ended up ordering a cheap version on amazon several months ago. It works like a charm. I have a LOT of body hair, and facial hair too, esp with being dark haired. This item works great, I am not sure about the different brands, but I think it's a very simple design and if you use it correctly (check out youtube for tutorials, it's hard to explain, but if you watch it, it makes more sense) it works very well. I use it about every 1-2 wks.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/170889352966?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

urbanmommy
08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Avoid the No No, it is absolutely AWFUL. I couldn't send it back fast enough! Quite honestly, it may be the worst product I have ever purchased.

Yes, I'm definitely staying away from it. The reviews couldn't be worse.

urbanmommy
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM
This is not who I bought it from, but it's a pic of the tool I use. I love this item. Someone here recommended it a while back and I ended up ordering a cheap version on amazon several months ago. It works like a charm. I have a LOT of body hair, and facial hair too, esp with being dark haired. This item works great, I am not sure about the different brands, but I think it's a very simple design and if you use it correctly (check out youtube for tutorials, it's hard to explain, but if you watch it, it makes more sense) it works very well. I use it about every 1-2 wks.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/170889352966?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Huh. Looks intriguing (and a little scary) but the price is right. I will have to try this.

Mermanaid
08-21-2012, 12:31 PM

I bought one of these too based on BBB recs. It took a little getting used to but it does work if you can get the technique down. Fair warning ... it hurts on my sensitive skin so I probably don't do it as much as I should.

hellokitty
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I bought one of these too based on BBB recs. It took a little getting used to but it does work if you can get the technique down. Fair warning ... it hurts on my sensitive skin so I probably don't do it as much as I should.

I don't find the pain that bad, but then again, I've been using an epilator for my legs and arms for over 15 yrs... so I'm used to it.

peanut520
08-21-2012, 12:39 PM

thanks, just bought one!