PDA

View Full Version : Help me design playroom

mackmama
08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
DC is almost 20 months, and I think it's time to have more of a dedicated playroom (versus our family room). If our house ever sells, we will be moving so I don't want to invest too much time/$ into things that we can't take with us. I'm thinking of either making half of DC's bedroom in the playroom -- or I could also turn another small room into a playroom (that currently houses the exercise bike). My specific questions...

1) Do you think this is the right age to start a playroom, or is it a little on the young side?

2) What do you think is an absolute necessity in a playroom for this age? We will hopefully move within 1 year so I'd like the playroom to function until about 3yo. I'd love specific recs if possible (links to specific play kitchen, table/chair, etc).

3) Should there be separate "zones" in the playroom (reading area, kitchen area, table area, etc)? I've looked through PBK and LON for ideas but still not sure how to best approach the design.

4) How much room is necessary? (Use DC's bedroom or a separate room?)

Any tips, thoughts, suggestions, links to favorite items all appreciated!

mackmama
08-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Anyone?? :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
When do you plan on putting your home on the market? If you plan on moving within the year, you may want to consider that.

(We just had a huge Expedit in our Living Room and toys everywhere. When our house went on the market, we had to move all the toys to storage and borrow real furniture to stage rooms.)

mackmama
08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Home is on the market - has been for awhile - so we're prepared to stay where we are until it sells (could be a year). So we are going to move forward with the playroom now but only want to invest in stuff we can take with us when we move.

Mermanaid
08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't think 20months is too young. Perfect time to start kids into picking up play spaces, etc.

How much space depends on what you already have, what you want, and your personal philosophy. For instance, do you not want toys in sleeping spaces because they are for sleeping. Or, are you okay with a bit of distraction at bed time?

As for space planning, I've always liked the station approach. A table with art supplies nearby. An imagination area -- play kitchen, dress up, etc. And then the toy area. We use Expedits with baskets for our toy area. The only thing I don't like is that sometimes we can't find a toy because it was just tossed into any old basket.

For 20months, I would add a puzzle area and maybe a reading area with a bean bag or PBK anywhere chair.

mackmama
08-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Is it best not to have toys in bedrooms? I think it's ok for now while DC is in crib, but I'm imagining when DC transitions to a big bed... I don't want DC able to get up at night and access toys. So probably best to have a separate playroom?

Any other specific recs on kitchens, toy storage, etc? I went to IKEA this morning and saw the Expedit. Looks nice but bulky. Anyone familiar with the Trofast? I will go look at PBK anywhere chair this afternoon. Are they generally well-made and comfortable for the kiddos? For a table, I'm thinking about the LON activity table with adjustable legs. It looks exactly like the PBK activity table but can grow with DC.

Mermanaid
08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
We try not to have toys in the bedrooms but they always migrate there! My kids are night owls and use the toys as a means to keep their eyes open. :) So I am a proponent of a separate room.

No specific recs on kitchens, etc. We do have a white table (wouldn't do that again!) that has 4 chairs with it. The kids still use it to eat on when we have people over. But, I would probably get a dark one or something easier to get stains off of. Lots of markers, paints, etc. have made ours look terrible.

We have the 5x2 expedit and laid it on it's side. So ... it's 5 cubes across and 2 cubes high. Then, I have some itso fabric bins from Target to put the toys in. This way I can store things on top of the expedits too. I would say whatever you get, make sure it's low enough so that DC can reach books, toys, etc. I don't have the trofast so can't comment on it.

Both of my kids have had the anywhere chair from the time they were about 2 and both have loved it. We move it around the house, daddy lounges on it, etc. It's starting to look pretty rough after 6 years of use, but I could always buy a new cover.

Love the idea of the activity table with adjustable legs! I've even heard of people buying the small Ikea lack side tables as an activity table. It's cheap and easy to repurpose. In fact, we just bought this one to put in DS's bedroom so he can use it as a surface for hexbugs, etc. (See, the toys have definitely exploded out of the playroom!) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40104294/

curiousgeorge
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't think your DC is too your for a playroom!

Just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth...

I think if you are trying to sell your house you are going to have to keep the playroom very well organized, be able to hide most of the toys, and ensure that it shows as more than a playroom (i.e. allow buyers to visualize it as a den for a family with older kids, bedroom, etc).

With that being said, I'd choose the expedit over the trofast. I think the expedit with the Itso fabric bins from Target looks nice, and can hide a lot of clutter.

In our playroom we do not do arts and crafts or playdough. That's because my playroom is upstairs and has carpet. We only do those things in the kitchen where I can supervise and assist (and clean up easily...). I have two boys, 3.5 and 16 months.

We have areas for trains (small train table and on top of our pool table), cars, more cars, and then other assorted toys like little people, puzzles, dress up, etc. are all housed in our expedit. We also have a bookshelf in there for books. We read on the floor while we play with other toys most of the time or if not we sit on the couch.

And, we do have some toys in my 3.5 yr old's room. He is good about going to bed at night and doesn't get out to mess with them so we are OK with it.

mackmama
08-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the great input and tips. I'd love to hear more if anyone has additional input. It's fun to design it - I just wish we were in our forever home so I could really go hog-wild. ;)

jam224
08-21-2012, 12:34 AM
I really like this blog's take on a playroom: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2010/03/march-featured-space-kids-perfect-play.html. Her must-haves are:
1. Book Storage
2. Workspace
3. Toy Storage
4. Wall Art
5. Sitting Zone

If you're looking for a kitchen, my friend has the play kitchen from IKEA and it looks really nice in her home (it blends in pretty well because it's modestly sized and modern-looking): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70129801/

Also, another friend of mine has the EXPEDIT in her playroom with these mesh bins from the Container Store: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10009903&N. Her bookcase is black-brown and the cubes are black, so it all blends in really well. Yet, with the mesh, the kids can see which toys are inside. It was so smart! I loved it!

mackmama
08-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I really like this blog's take on a playroom: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2010/03/march-featured-space-kids-perfect-play.html. Her must-haves are:
1. Book Storage
2. Workspace
3. Toy Storage
4. Wall Art
5. Sitting Zone

If you're looking for a kitchen, my friend has the play kitchen from IKEA and it looks really nice in her home (it blends in pretty well because it's modestly sized and modern-looking): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70129801/

Also, another friend of mine has the EXPEDIT in her playroom with these mesh bins from the Container Store: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10009903&N. Her bookcase is black-brown and the cubes are black, so it all blends in really well. Yet, with the mesh, the kids can see which toys are inside. It was so smart! I loved it!

Thank you for the first link! I had seen that a while ago and had been looking for it without luck. Yay! I really like her approach, too.

It sounds like the expedit is a favorite. I will check it out again. I love the black mesh bins!

ljackson
08-24-2012, 07:22 AM
One thing I would add is that I think most children like to rearrange their space in some way (repeatedly!), so it is good if something is able to be moved without you minding. If you would like most of the stuff to stay where you put it, maybe have a pile of cushions that you are happy to let wander.

A1icia
08-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm going to go against the grain...

I think that is too young for a single child to have a separate playroom unless you plan to spend ALL your time in there too.

Young kids like to be around others (and also learn a lot from watching you) - I don't think a 20 mo or 2 yo or 3yo would enjoy playing by themselves off in some room. I think it's best to set up the play area within the same general area that you spend the majority of your time. I think this is particularly true with an only child.

And I agree the kid's bedroom is a mistake for the reasons noted by pp.

I'd get a big Ikea Expedit bookshelf (be sure to attach to wall for safety) and lots of baskets that fit it to store toys (particularly when showing the house) and also a big low flat coffee table that is a good playsurface plus a couple nice wooden toddler chairs. A plus for the coffee table would be one with rolling bins to go underneath. Storage ottomans can be useful too. And if you have a nice cozy corner 2-3 bean bag chairs or floor pillows plus a small bookshelf or cabinet would make a nice reading area.

We have actually made our living room into a playroom that also has a nice sitting area in front of the fire place (our sofa and chairs). It works great for us but not really great if in the process of sell the house. One thing I do insist on is that EVERY toy has a place and if it needs a container I find an appropriate one. This really helps in keeping thinks neat. I am a bit OCD about it but it works!

OKKiddo
08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
DC is almost 20 months, and I think it's time to have more of a dedicated playroom (versus our family room). If our house ever sells, we will be moving so I don't want to invest too much time/$ into things that we can't take with us. I'm thinking of either making half of DC's bedroom in the playroom -- or I could also turn another small room into a playroom (that currently houses the exercise bike). My specific questions...

1) Do you think this is the right age to start a playroom, or is it a little on the young side?

2) What do you think is an absolute necessity in a playroom for this age? We will hopefully move within 1 year so I'd like the playroom to function until about 3yo. I'd love specific recs if possible (links to specific play kitchen, table/chair, etc).

3) Should there be separate "zones" in the playroom (reading area, kitchen area, table area, etc)? I've looked through PBK and LON for ideas but still not sure how to best approach the design.

4) How much room is necessary? (Use DC's bedroom or a separate room?)

Any tips, thoughts, suggestions, links to favorite items all appreciated!

Don't forget Ikea and Lakeshore Learning. ;) Not to add fuel to the fire or anything, lol! 20 months is an excellent age for a playroom and it will save your sanity more if you have it in another room than his bedroom because he will likely make a mess at some point and if good ole Murphy has anything to do with it, it will happen on the day that you have zero energy to clean it up and it will make bedtime oh so much fun!

mackmama
08-24-2012, 04:39 PM
The playroom is complete! :) I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and input. You all helped me figure it out and pick the right products. The playroom is a separate room rather than in DC's bedroom. I went with Expedit for toy storage (high-gloss white, love it), plus a play tent, a bookrack attached to the wall where the books face out, Pottery Barn anywhere chair, and a craft table.

I agree with a PP about how kids this age want to be where others are. For now, this playroom will mainly be a place to house the toys at the end of each day. If DC is in the playroom, I am in the playroom hanging out and playing, too. :) If we weren't trying to sell our home, I would have turned our breakfast nook area or our DR into the playroom so that it's more central - but that's just not possible while our house is on the market.

It's cute seeing how much DC loves the playroom, and DH and I are loving hanging out in there all playing/reading together. Thanks again everyone!

OKKiddo
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
The playroom is complete! :) I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and input. You all helped me figure it out and pick the right products. The playroom is a separate room rather than in DC's bedroom. I went with Expedit for toy storage (high-gloss white, love it), plus a play tent, a bookrack attached to the wall where the books face out, Pottery Barn anywhere chair, and a craft table.

I agree with a PP about how kids this age want to be where others are. For now, this playroom will mainly be a place to house the toys at the end of each day. If DC is in the playroom, I am in the playroom hanging out and playing, too. :) If we weren't trying to sell our home, I would have turned our breakfast nook area or our DR into the playroom so that it's more central - but that's just not possible while our house is on the market.

It's cute seeing how much DC loves the playroom, and DH and I are loving hanging out in there all playing/reading together. Thanks again everyone!

When my children first got a playroom they insisted on me being in there. Two years later and they don't even tell me they're awake they just go straight to their playroom. :-/ But, my little girl loves for me to be right beside her. Don't you love the way they play?