PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...why does childcare have to be so difficult

niccig
08-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I need someone Tuesday to pick DS up from school, take to soccer practice, go home. I need someone on Thursday who can take him home after aftercare (aftercare is cheaper, so trying to not have babysitter for entire afternoon. Good chance I can get the aftercare director or one of the counsellors to do this).

Our regular babysitter can do Tuesdays except the first Tuesday of the month - 4 times I'll need other plans. She's fabulous, has sat for us for years, so I won't worry at all about DS. I can go with her and find someone on Tuesdays she can't do or put DS in after care those days (he'll miss soccer practice, but no big deal, it's AYSO, he'll be OK with it) and get someone to pick him up from aftercare (maybe same person as on Thursdays). Or I have to find a brand new person for every Tuesday. I have the name of another sitter a friend recommended, but she costs more and we've never used her before.

And of course, the first day of school is the first Tuesday in the month! DS's best friend is moving to another school, but his mother said she still wants play dates and could help out in a pinch. Once a month might be too much for her to get DS on tuesdays from aftercare, but I might ask for the first day of school.

So options.

1. Go with regular babysitter for Tuesday, find someone for the First Tuesdays and for the Thursdays (maybe same person from after care)

2. Find a new person for Tuesdays and still see about aftercare people for Thursdays.

Oh, and I need to have worked this out by end of this week. Ds doesn't start until after labour day, but I start next week.

ETA. Now DH is saying if DS is on gymnastics team, he shouldn't do soccer as well. DS has trial run at team this week. I need to know if he's in gymnastics or soccer or both so I can work out the babysitting schedule. Childcare is the most difficult part about being back in school. My schedule changes every semester, his sports change every semester. It's so frustrating to manage it when DH can't do any afternoons.

kristenk
08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I think a monthly playdate on the first Tuesday of the month sounds like a good idea. Don't discount it without asking the mom. A standard once a month thing isn't a big deal.

niccig
08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I think a monthly playdate on the first Tuesday of the month sounds like a good idea. Don't discount it without asking the mom. A standard once a month thing isn't a big deal.

I'll ask her. I can't get DS until after dinner. He can though stay at aftercare for a bit and then go over to their house (she lives near by).

My life would be easier if either mine or DS's schedule stayed the same. Wishful thinking!