PDA

View Full Version : How long is your DC's bath?

TwoBees
08-20-2012, 07:16 PM
And how old is/are your DCs? I'm wondering how long is enough for DD. DD (2.75) would stay in there all day if I let her, but I'm exhausted at the end of the day!

lalasmama
08-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Disclaimers: I have a high-needs child and she is a water baby.

The only time she is completely calm and reasonable is when she is in water, so a 2 hour bath isn't uncommon, and it's been that way since she was a toddler.

eagle
08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
if ds is being a brat and splashing us on purpose or standing up after telling him not to stand, one minute. literally. we will take him out, even if he is soapy, bubbly. i dont tolerate splashing or standing up.

95% of the time, though, 5-20 minutes, usually about 10 minutes. we scrub him down with soapy bathwater, do a lame rinse off, let him play, drain, then rinse again with plain water.

eagle
08-20-2012, 07:52 PM
lalasmama, do you bring a book while you sit? or are you engaged the whole time? so impressed...

rlu
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Bath time is when we read to DS from certain books (we're reading the Hank the Cowdog series right now) so 30 minutes is common. He's 8.

elliput
08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
As short as possible, because that is how I want it. DD (7) is just now to the point where she wants to wash her own hair so it takes a while for her as I have to keep reminding her to stay on task. If I let her, she'd stay in the water until it turned cold. DS (3.75) also loves to play in the water, and makes a huge mess so I haul him out long before he is ready to be done.

indigo99
08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I bathe DS2 for about 3-5 minutes in the eurotub just to get him clean. His skin gets dry enough as it is without longer baths. DH bathes DS1 in the bigger tub and lets him play so it's usually about 10-15 minutes. DH reads or uses the ipad or plays with DS.

lalasmama
08-20-2012, 08:28 PM
lalasmama, do you bring a book while you sit? or are you engaged the whole time? so impressed...

OH HECK NO! Do not be impressed! Rarely engaged during the bath at all! Even when she was a toddler, I was sitting in the bathroom reading a book or playing online (after the age of about 3yo, before that, we just shared the tub). Mostly, she needs the water to calm down and center herself, so there's minimal interaction. When she's wound up, the LAST thing she needs is anyone yammering around her :)

As she's gotten older, she will go through times when she wants me to play whatever game she's come up with (usually, she's making bath water ice cream in stacking cups, and I "sample" them), but even that's hit and miss.

Now, thankfully, she's 8.5yo, and can totally entertain herself, and only needs my help making sure her hair is rinsed. I've been able to, largely, get me out of the bathing thing at all, other than the rinsing, with the "your body is going to be changing, and you'll want your privacy, so now I'm not going to stay when you are showering or bathing" and she was fine with it. Makes the never-ending baths much easier to deal with when she's not expecting me to be engaged the whole time.

joonbug
08-20-2012, 08:34 PM
DD is 3.25 and her baths usually last 15-20 minutes, unless she's splashing or getting wild, then out she goes after a warning, I don't tolerate splashing or getting crazy with toys (throwing or pulling the shampoo bottles down etc) or SPLASHING lol.

nfceagles
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
My 7 yo showers and will stay in as long as I let him, 15-20 minutes. My 4 yo DD stays in the bath 45 minutes to an hour, but that's because we do them when we have free time (usually during the day while DS is in school) and I just let her stay in as long as she wants. I read, surf, fold laundry or whatever so I don't usually mind if she spends a while in there.

BDKmom
08-20-2012, 08:43 PM
DS is 2.5 and bathes for 15-30 minutes every other night. He enjoys playing in the tub. We usually catch up on email on our phones or surf on the iPad.

crl
08-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Da is nine. He showers on his own. Usually takes him 15 minutes or so. Dd is 28 months. Her bath is about 15 minutes too. But she initiates it being over. I'd let her play longer (maybe up to 30 mins) if she wanted to.

Catherine

karstmama
08-20-2012, 09:01 PM
15-20 mins. he'd probably stay, but i usually end it & he goes along.

TwoBees
08-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Ok, so it sounds like my 10 mins is fairly reasonable. Sometimes 5 mins if we are running late or I am really exhausted. Now that I don't have to be engaged the entire time, and read a magazine with a few "uh huhs" and "reallys?" it's a bit easier, but the longer bath goes, the longer it is until I can wind down and go to bed.

FWIW, we're doing a bath daily right now because DD is almost always covered in thick, sticky sunblock (applied twice each day), sweat, and sand from the sandbox at school. Ick. In some ways, I'm ready for summer to be over!

maestramommy
08-21-2012, 07:16 AM
As short as possible, because it's part of the bedtime routine, and we want to get through that part as quickly as we can. It means more time for reading. About 5 minutes.

However, Dora showers herself now (with a bit of assistance), so she stays in a little longer while we're doing the other two. But for a while she was in the there so long we finally had to call a halt because she was using up all the hot water and stretching out the routine too much:p

babyonway
08-21-2012, 08:19 AM
DD is 26 mos and she baths 2-3 times a week for about 15 min. Half the time I ask (encourage) her if she's ready to get out about half the time she tells me she is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

hillview
08-21-2012, 08:37 AM
It depends on what else is going on and how they are behaving and what time it is. I left my kids for short times in the tub starting at age 3.5 while we were talking etc.

wendibird22
08-21-2012, 08:39 AM
DDs are 5 and 2.5 and bath is as quick as possible usually. Sometimes we do DDs together (if they are behaving and not too wild) and other times individually. The bath lasts long enough for me to shampoo, condition, and soap them up. On a rare night when we have time or when only one DC is home, bath lasts longer and we let them play.

sunshine873
08-21-2012, 09:06 AM
If I'm giving the bath, Dd gets about 10 mins. If DH (the fun one) is doing it, 30 mins or longer. I'm just so tired at the end of the day (SAHM) but DH is still soaking up his time with DD. Needless to say, he's usually the one running bath time. ;)

123LuckyMom
08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Do what works for you! If you're tired, you can have that kid in and out within 5 minutes or less! You can always designate Saturday as bath play night, or something, but I say you should let your child have a bath that's only as long as you can tolerate! DH lets DS have hour long baths. Mine are usually about 20-30 minutes. It depends how late we get into bath and how smoothly the evening is going in general. Sometimes I give DS a choice between bath and books, or bath and songs. My latest thing is that DS knows I leave his room at 9pm no matter what stage of the game we're on, so if he wants mommy time apart from pjs, teeth, potty, and prayers (which are the non-negotiables), he needs to watch his timing. Usually we fit in the non-negotiables plus 2-3 books, some songs, and 1 or 2 made up short stories. Bedtime has been much better since we instituted Friday as "sleep anywhere night". Now we don't spend tons of time reasoning through why DS can't sleep in his chair, or on the floor, or in his trundle, etc. ;)

Giantbear
08-21-2012, 11:50 AM
With a booboo, about two minutes, as quickly as i can wash her hair. Without a booboo, 10- 15 minutes. First few is washing then the rest is playing. As long as she keeps the water in the tub and her toushie on the ground, she can do what she wants.

Our big issue is hair drying, she won't let me dry her hair at all.

lizzywednesday
08-21-2012, 12:00 PM
As quickly as possible - DD would play in the tub all night if I let her, but I'm not willing to create dry-skin issues and I'm tired after working all day, so we maybe spend 10-20 minutes on a bath. Longer if I've got bubbles or bath salts in it because they're treats.

Typically, I'll gauge how filthy she was by how gray the water turns - if it's foul and black, I may drain & re-fill to get her rinsed and we wave bye-bye to the water (and all the dirty) when it goes.

If time is an issue, we take a shower and try to spend no more than 10-15 minutes getting clean.

TwoBees
08-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Try a turbie twist (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=106544) to sop up as much water as possible. Use it backwards...twist the length behind her head down her back, and then flip up and secure the tail at her forehead. Worked like a charm when DD would actually wear it.

This bathrobe helps lots too.
http://www.diapers.com/p/american-terry-co-velour-hooded-cover-up-37112

KrisM
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Depends - if it's at night just before bed, they're 5-10 minutes. If they're for fun during the day - as long as they want. But, all my kids are old enough that I don't sit in the bathroom with them. I make sure I can hear them and that's about it.

OP - when I was pregnant, I loved their bath time. I had them wash my feet and legs and it felt nice :).

Giantbear
08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Try a turbie twist (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=106544) to sop up as much water as possible. Use it backwards...twist the length behind her head down her back, and then flip up and secure the tail at her forehead. Worked like a charm when DD would actually wear it.

this looks promising, if i can translate your instructions. I fear this will be as difficult as putting her hair in a pony.

BabyBearsMom
08-21-2012, 01:08 PM
15 to 20 minutes for DD1 as long as she isn't standing. DD2 is pretty quick since she doesn't play much in the water, maybe 5 minutes.

My DD1 is the same age as your DD. I got her hooded towels with her favorite animals on them (owls) and I made up a dance and a song that we sing when they are on her. Part of the dance is that I rub her head with the towel and then I let her do the same to my head. No more tears with hair drying. She also likes to come in while I am blow drying my hair and I will blow hers out a little too.

Giantbear
08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
15 to 20 minutes for DD1 as long as she isn't standing. DD2 is pretty quick since she doesn't play much in the water, maybe 5 minutes.

My DD1 is the same age as your DD. I got her hooded towels with her favorite animals on them (owls) and I made up a dance and a song that we sing when they are on her. Part of the dance is that I rub her head with the towel and then I let her do the same to my head. No more tears with hair drying. She also likes to come in while I am blow drying my hair and I will blow hers out a little too.we have a hooded frog and a hooded pink thing.... no dice. I tried turning it into a game....no dice She watches me dry my hair in the morning, no dice.... she is a very ..... shall we say ... strong willed.... little girl

TwoBees
08-21-2012, 01:21 PM
we have a hooded frog and a hooded pink thing.... no dice. I tried turning it into a game....no dice She watches me dry my hair in the morning, no dice.... she is a very ..... shall we say ... strong willed.... little girl

Your DD should meet my DD! LOL!

I PMed you about the Turbie Twist.

mackmama
08-21-2012, 04:35 PM
DC is 19mo and stays in the bath for about 15mins.

BabyBearsMom
08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
we have a hooded frog and a hooded pink thing.... no dice. I tried turning it into a game....no dice She watches me dry my hair in the morning, no dice.... she is a very ..... shall we say ... strong willed.... little girl

Ha, she is 2, of course she is strong willed! My DH calls DD1 the 30lb Dictator. The owl dance I have made up is pretty involved. I don't mean to brag or anything, but it is a choreographed masterpiece to get that kids hair dry. LOL!

BabbyO
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Our baths usually run about 20 - 30 min, but I bathe both boys at once. So DS1 gets to play while I bathe DS2. In the winter I bring DS2's dipe & pj's into the bathroom and get him dressed right away. In the summer, I let DS2 play while I bathe DS1. Then if I'm not exhausted or its not too late, I let them play together for about 5-10 min. before hauling both out of the tub.