PDA

View Full Version : Expecting #2! Double stroller?

EmeraldNYL
08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Just found out I am expecting #2 due in April-- this will make my 2 kiddos 27 months apart. Will I need a full-featured double stroller or is a Sit and Stand type stroller ok? Already DS wants to walk most of the time. I currently own a Peg Perego Si and a BOB, and love them both. I also have a K'Tan to baby wear. What are some affordable options? Considering a Baby Jogger City Mini double and the Joovy Caboose Ultralight.

smiles33
08-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Even if your DS prefers to walk, you never know if he might regress and want to ride in a stroller just because DC2 is. For us, my girls are 37 months apart so it didn't make sense for us to get a double stroller for normal days (I'm also a WOHM so we only had weekend outings). I wore DD2 in my Beco Butterfly 2 and DD1 walked until DD2 was old enough to walk herself. I did buy a BJCMD for Disneyland thanks to BBB recs and we loved it, but at 3 years apart (or almost there for you), you might be able to get away with a single stroller and board. I'll defer to other stroller experts to give more advice.

crl
08-20-2012, 09:16 PM
My kids are really far apart in age (nearly seven years). But at your age spread I would definitely want a double. For toddler containment if nothing else. At that age neither of my kids would reliably follow directions or hold my hand; and chasing a toddler who is intent on running into the street while managing a stroller sounds awful to me. I'd much rather be able to strap said toddler in when necessary.

Catherine

kaharris83
08-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't have any BTDT experience, my DS' will be 28 months apart when DS2 arrives in December. We got a B-Ready with 2nd seat for indoor use and an Indie Twin for outdoor use. I need to keep DS1 contained because he is a runner. He walks a lot now but still rides a fair amount. As PPer mentioned I forsee he will want to ride when DS2 does.

chillinoutmaxin
08-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Mine are all 20 months apart (4 kids) and I love a sit and stand! It's awesome because the 2 year olds haven't wanted to be confined to a stroller. It does have a buckle so I can strap the 2 year old in if needed. We dont really go anywhere long enough for the 2 year old to need to sleep in it. Still though, my singles get the most use. Rarely do we need a double. I had a cadillac double and gave it away due to bulkiness and lack of use.

hapimommy
08-21-2012, 02:14 AM
My ds is 27 months older than dd, and we initially were trying to figure this out too. We started off with the vista with rumble seat, but as ds was close to 35 pounds when dd was born, it did not last long. I also wanted to keep dd in the top seat so she could be closer to me. We then moved onto the mountain buggy duo, which I would recommend for the AT factor, ease of use, and ability for kids to ride from newborn to 55 pounds on each side. But I missed the narrowness of a single stroller, so I purchased a Jane powertwin off of craigslist. I love that stroller, it works so well indoors and out, but unfortunately one of my innertubes failed and I have to import one from the UK. Which has led me to my current set up, either the micralite fastfold superlite or bugaboo frog with englacha 2-in-1 junior x rider. It is a board with a seat, sort of a makeshift sit and stand with any stroller you want. It will attach to umbrella strollers, my powertwin to make a triple, my duo to make a triple. I am supposed to do a review on it, but unfortunately my computers all went down within a week, and I am solely dependent on my limited phone. I got it from zulily so for 75 bucks it was cheaper than buying a new stroller. Not to knock joovy though, I love that company, their cs for me was awesome. I have a zoom ats, so not a caboose, but they treated me really well when I called in with my jogger issue. You might want to see if it would work with your bob and peg si. Hth.

hapimommy
08-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Sorry so long winded. I didn't realize how long that was.

roseyloxs
08-21-2012, 06:06 AM
My first two are 27 months apart. DS also was walking or riding his balance bike a lot before dd arrived. I got a bumbleride indie twin. I loved that stroller but truthfully I pushed it half empty probably 80% of the time. Once dd could sit up in a stroller I used the cybex topaz with valco hitchhiker (board) and that worked out well for zoo outings, etc.

Now the kicker is that I sold the indie twin when moving to Europe thinking that the seat was always going unused and that side by sides are not practical over here. Well we got here and suddenly at 4 DS was begging to ride in a stroller again claiming he was tired all the time. So we got a P&T vibe and it has worked out really well for us.

So in the end if DS really doesn't ride and you are open to babywearing with the K'tan then I would just hold off on buying a double and see how it goes. If you are leaning towards getting something then I might look at a single to double option. Something like the B-ready could give you a double or single+board option. If you keep an eye open for the next 'free ride' event you could get a B-ready with second seat for as little as $300. If the baby comes and DS suddenly wants a seat then I would consider the BJCMD.