PDA

View Full Version : Where are buying clothes for your 7-8yo girl?

pinkmomagain
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm a little frustrated. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go after Gymboree. I like decent quality clothes, I don't like trashy but I'm looking for clothes that are a little bit more "big girl" than Gymbo for my new 2nd grader.

I like some of the stuff at PS Aeropostale..but I really don't want every piece of clothing she wears to have a PS on it. I find that many of the stores have a ton of glitter, sequins & studs that will inevitably fall off. Justice is really not my style. Lands End is a little plain.

Have any of you had any luck finding some clothes with a little personality & quality for this age?

TIA

elliput
08-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Lands' End and Hanna Andersson for my DD this year with some odds and ends thrown in from Target and Old Navy. We've got sensory issues to deal with, so most of DD's clothes are soft knits with no tags, no zippers, no ruffles, no lace, no extra seams, etc.

Clarity
08-20-2012, 11:08 PM
My dd is 6 but she's in size 7. We do not do trashy here either and I don't want her looking like a baby so I actually buy a lot from Land's End. They have great basic jeans, skirts, shirts and then we pick a few pieces from Hanna, GapKids and Old Navy. I've been looking at Next Direct but am wondering about the quality.

I avoid Justice like the plague. I know that the store is popular but I've seen girls dressed in head-to-toe Justice who look like 1980's hookers.

ourbabygirl
08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I asked a similar question a while back, for my DD who's almost 4 but already in a size 6/7 (she's really tall & still has a toddler tummy).

We do a mixture of Lands' End (I actually like the preppy/ classic look of their clothes, even though they are plain- that's my style, I guess ;)), Old Navy, Target, and a bit of H & M and Kohls. I like Gap's style, too, but it's a little pricey for my taste.
I'll also do some Children's Place, and I bought a darling dress for DD this summer from Janie & Jack. I *love* their stuff, but it's so expensive, fancy, and a lot of it is dry clean only. :thumbsdown:

I haven't checked out Crazy 8 yet, but Gymboree is a bit too matchy-matchy for me. We'll see what DD ends up wanting once she gets to preschool and sees what the other girls are wearing.

MommytoEliana
08-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Mini Boden and Tea Collection have become my favorites for this age; cute, age-appropriate, comfortable, and fun! DD1 is a fan, too. Now, granted, I can't afford to outfit her in just these, but given that she'll turn to them out of anything in her closet (as well as her Hannas, but she is starting to outgrow many of their styles), the pieces I have purchased have been money well spent.

novmber
08-20-2012, 11:48 PM
my girls are just 5 but I love naartjie. www.naartjiekids.com

every Tuesday an outfit is 40% off and they also have great sales

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

squimp
08-21-2012, 12:44 AM
We do a bit of Gap, plain stuff from Hanna (love the knit blazer this year), Nordstrom Peek brand, J Crew and I'm liking Abercrombie kids. Also the simpler Boden things (our days of applique tees are over). My DD is almost 9.

roobee
08-21-2012, 01:06 AM
I picked up some cute shirts from oshkosh. DD wears a lot of longer shirts and skinny jeans or leggings.

http://www.carters.com/null/Long-Sleeve-Print-Tunic/887044012127,default,pd.html?cgid=oshkosh-kid-girl-tops

http://www.carters.com/null/Long-Sleeve-Print-Tunic/759082514881,default,pd.html?cgid=oshkosh-kid-girl-tops

http://www.carters.com/null/Long-Sleeve-Drop-Waist-Tunic/759082085268,default,pd.html?cgid=oshkosh-kid-girl-tops

mommytoC
08-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Mostly HA (still :)...this has been my go-to brand since DD#1 was in size 80, and she'll wear size 130 again this Fall (moving into 140 by Winter/Spring)), with a bit of LE/
LL Bean. (No Boden this year, though I do like some of their styles.) For Fall/Winter, she loves HA's tunic dresses + leggings and knit tops with knit/chambray skirts + leggings, knit jeans or yoga pants, but will also have 2 pairs of bootcut jeans (her preferred style) from LL Bean.

I buy on sale (typically at EOS), but even so, DD#1's clothes have gotten a lot more expensive over time. If I didn't have a DD#2, I'd definitely branch out to include a
few less expensive brands :).

KrystalS
08-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm probably the odd one out here but we do buy Justice. I avoid the trashy items and I admit there are a lot! DD is 8.5 and very into the colored jeans/jeggings that are so popular. She also likes the layered look with a tank under another shirt.

Have you tried Childrens Place? Not the highest quality but I honestly haven't had any problems with them. DD got 3 solid color skorts there. Several cute shirts. She won't wear graphic/applique tees at all anymore, so our Boden days are over.
She also likes PS Kids but I agree I hate how every single shirt says PS on it. We only have a couple from there.
DD won't wear Gymbo or Crazy 8 anymore. We do a few things from Abercrombie Kids but they are very pricey, I try to find sale items.

Canna
08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
For back-to-school this year for my 7.5 year-old has:

tops from next.com
tops and printed leggings (she specifically wanted printed leggings) from H&M
leggings, jeans, dresses and a tunic and pair of sweat pants from Osh Kosh
sweat pants and hoodies from Target
fleece yoga-style pants from Old Navy (she loves these every year, wears them with Tees and even under-dresses in our New England winter)
fall jacket from Gap
super-soft hoodie that feels like a baby blanket (Walmart)

She also has a few pants and tops from Boden from last year that still fit her because I bought them on the big side last year. I think the only think I'm ordering from Boden this fall is a winter jacket. But I do love their styles for this age.

mom2binsd
08-22-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm probably the odd one out here but we do buy Justice. I avoid the trashy items and I admit there are a lot! DD is 8.5 and very into the colored jeans/jeggings that are so popular. She also likes the layered look with a tank under another shirt.

Have you tried Childrens Place? Not the highest quality but I honestly haven't had any problems with them.

I agree, Justice has some cute things, as does TCP and with sales TCP can be downright cheap. I find LE a bit pricey, the sales aren't that great.

Target has some cute stuff too. GAP, I have to wait a long time for the sales and then there's not much left. I've never done Hanna, and did Gymbo until DD was about 8 (last year). Pumpkin Patch has cute stuff and often can be found on sale! It runs a bit small. Naartjie is cute but I wouldn't buy unless I had a store as their sizing is very very inconsistent.

pinkmomagain
08-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Ya know one place that intrigues me that I haven't spent too much time in is H&M. Can anyone tell me how the sizes run? And how the quality is for the kids' clothes?

cuca_
08-23-2012, 07:59 AM
My older DDs love crewcuts, especially the dresses and graphic shirts. I like them because they are pretty traditional looking without being babyish. The quality is not as great as say, Hanna, but everything has held up well for us. They often have 30% off codes. We also buy a lot from Target, Boden and Tea. We used to buy H & M, and in my experience it runs true to size, but haven't in a while because they don't have a great kids department in the store in the area where we are now.

Canna
08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
PP asked about H&M - here's my review. The quality is generally acceptable for the price but not remarkable. Prices are similar to Target or Old Navy. We haven't had anything fall apart and some items are surprisingly good quality (ex: little kid pants lined with jersey, some knits) but in general quality is along the lines of Old Navy IMO - I do expect things from H&M to last though multiple seasons and they do and are usually in hand-downable condition afterward. But knits are on the thinner side (especially compared to something like Boden or Hanna), pants are not always finished as nicely, sweaters are sometimes cotton but may be acrylic or an acrylic blend, etc.

Sizes at H&M. My DD is kind of between sizes. I think the sizes run true-to-size as they describe them. Their little girl styles are very very cute and go up to a size 6-8Y or 122/128cm. My tall 7.5 year-old who measures in this range can still wear some of these, but not with much growing room. Styles can run on the slim-cut side. The next size up 9-10Y puts you in their bigger kid/tweens department and she can wear some of these in this department too.