PDA

View Full Version : Rear facing strollers...

wangstar
08-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi all,
How important is it to have a stroller that is rear facing capable?
How long did you ababy stayed in the rear facing position?

I'm asking because I really like the Valco Zee but the stroller is not rear facing. However, If I get the Husssh Bassinet to use for the first few months, that should take care of the rear facing factor.

thoughts???

mommylamb
08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I think it's a nice thing to have the bassinet, but certainly not a necessity. I had a bassinet for my MB Swift with DS2. With DS1, I often used a snap and go, so he was facing me when he was little too. But, I don't think the direction is a big deal. I more just liked the bassinet look, and it was nice and comfy for him.

BabyBearsMom
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I really like having a stroller that can rear face but I wouldn't call it a necessity. I didn't have one with DD1 at all and lived to tell it. I do have fun with DD2 in a rear facing stroller though.

If you like the Valco Zee, have you checked out the Valco Spark? The Zee is $330 and the bassinet is $100, right? The Spark has the bassinet built in for $500 and it rear faces.

Philly Mom
08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I have a BJCM with car seat attachment, which I used for the first 6 months (sometimes with the car seat attachment, sometimes without). While, we currently use the stroller to travel, I have not touched it since I bought a Bee. I love the reversible feature. DD is almost 13 months and she still faces us. When we go out for long walks, I can keep an eye on her drinking (i.e. when she is ready to hand me her cup because she is done) or just chat with her. I WOTH FT so it is important to me to have that interaction. We also still use our carrier ALL the time, possibly more than the stroller. I carry her on my back (all 22+ pounds) and she loves it.

chillinoutmaxin
08-21-2012, 11:23 AM
It's a want, not a need. I havent had it for four kids. It's not a dealbreaker.

mom3boys
08-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I didn't have rear facing seat for my first 2 kids, although I did have bassinet for first kid and snap n' go for them both. Bassinet was nice more because it seems comfy for the baby and some bassinets you can take off the stroller and use around the house, which is nice.

I have a rear-facing stroller for DS3 now but he hasn't liked to be rear-facing since about 6-7 months. That may change and he may want to rear-face again when he's talking-we'll see. I do like having the option, but I also got by without it for my first 2 kids.

edurnemk
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
I won't buy a stroller that's not reversible, it's that important to me. DS faced me until a bit over 1 yo, then he wanted to face out for a bit but then went back to wanting to face me. At 2 yo he'd ask me to turn the seat to face me and I LOVED chatting with him while we strolled. As a baby he got very anxious when he couldn't see me, especially in stores and crowded places so the reversible seat was a life saver (he hated the infant seat and it's not good to keep them in it for long periods) and I do think it gives you more quality time with your child. They can still "see the world" by looking around and all, they just see the world behind you instead of what's in front if you.

kaharris83
08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I didn't have one with DS1. I was trying to get by with just one stroller. I broke down by 3 months and bought a Frog off CL and DS1 loved parent facing. He never actually asked to face the other way, he just outgrew the Frog and we went to a non-reversible. For the new babe rear-facing was a must for me.

wangstar
08-21-2012, 03:00 PM
I have a BJCM with car seat attachment, which I used for the first 6 months (sometimes with the car seat attachment, sometimes without). While, we currently use the stroller to travel, I have not touched it since I bought a Bee. I love the reversible feature. DD is almost 13 months and she still faces us. When we go out for long walks, I can keep an eye on her drinking (i.e. when she is ready to hand me her cup because she is done) or just chat with her. I WOTH FT so it is important to me to have that interaction. We also still use our carrier ALL the time, possibly more than the stroller. I carry her on my back (all 22+ pounds) and she loves it.

Philly Mom, I guess the new question would be choosing between the Valco Spark and the Bugaboo Bee. :dizzy:

Philly Mom
08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Not sure what I would choose if I could do it now. I am very interested in the Spark. Wish it was out with the Bee. Good luck!

strollerqueen
08-21-2012, 11:18 PM
I won't buy a stroller that's not reversible, it's that important to me. DS faced me until a bit over 1 yo, then he wanted to face out for a bit but then went back to wanting to face me. At 2 yo he'd ask me to turn the seat to face me and I LOVED chatting with him while we strolled. As a baby he got very anxious when he couldn't see me, especially in stores and crowded places so the reversible seat was a life saver (he hated the infant seat and it's not good to keep them in it for long periods) and I do think it gives you more quality time with your child. They can still "see the world" by looking around and all, they just see the world behind you instead of what's in front if you.
:yeahthat:

hollissmama
08-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I also would not use a non reversible by choice, sometimes I have had too, like for jogging or an umbrella stroller. But I adore looking at my guy who's 2.9, but is runner so often in a stroller. :) We chat, play games and we practice counting. He loves it too. Also we do nighttime walks now and he falls asleep. It is adorable.

I was a big time babywearer but he hit 32lbs or so and it was grueling with my back issues so this allows us to still interact. I think it is totally worth it!

roseyloxs
08-22-2012, 04:22 AM
My dd faced me until she was almost 3 in a bee. I have not had the pleasure of using a bassinet so I can't comment on that. I adore reversible strollers though and wish I had found them sooner.

sweetsoul99
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
We got by without one for my first 2 kids. Although I wonder if my oldest would have been happier, she went through HUGE separation issues.

However, with #3 there are some good options on craigslist and I couldn't resist. Because I'm so busy with the house, driving around, and tending to the oldest 2, I feel guilty not spending as much 1 on 1 time with #3. I'm sure he's fine, I put him where he can watch the madness. But that's where we get the best face to face time is walks around our neighborhood and while we're shopping. I love our cam, but hate getting it in and out of the car, so I'm scouring craigslist for a bee when DS1 outgrows his carseat/snap n go.

Mommy_Mea
08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
When I first started on the bbb message boards (way back in 2008!), I was researching strollers and there was a study that had just come out about rear facing strollers and reduced anxiety/stress in babies. I will see if I can find that article. But it drive my choice to get the Uppababy Vista. Both boys love facing me, and it makes walks much more interesting for both of us. I should say that I didn't have a car when I had ds1, so the vista got heavy use. Much less so with ds2, but it is still really nice.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

coastgirl
08-23-2012, 01:54 AM
I've been wondering the same myself. I really wanted RF option, but prefer strollers that don't (mostly because of the weight). Since I'm home all day with LO and he enjoys observing outside, maybe FF is better for him. I wonder I'll want RF again when he's talking.

KonzaPrairie
08-23-2012, 07:18 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE having a RF stroller. I think they are the bees knees and am so happy I spent the extra $$ to have that option. When I push DD FF for various reasons she turns to check on me all the time through the peekaboo window. She's perfectly happy to observe the outside world backwards, and it's fun exploring things like leaves and flowers that we pass without having to move to the front of the stroller.

edurnemk
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I've been wondering the same myself. I really wanted RF option, but prefer strollers that don't (mostly because of the weight). Since I'm home all day with LO and he enjoys observing outside, maybe FF is better for him. I wonder I'll want RF again when he's talking.

The Bee is not heavy like others, there's also some other options in that weight range now. I also found it to be practical for other reasons: I could feed him a bottle while strolling (in the Vista because of the higher seat, it's easier), see if he was falling asleep to recline the seat, etc. I also was home with him all day, same now with DD. DS got to see a lot out of his RF stroller, he could look behind me and around him, he would point at stuff he saw and we'd talk about them (he was obsessed with vehicles so it was usually "ca!" (car) over and over again). I'm not saying RF strollers are better in all cases, just sharing that I think RF won't limit his exposure to the world, bore him, etc.

wangstar
08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the input, it's what I thought from the beginning.
I'm debating between the Uppababy Cruz and the Valco Baby Spark. They are both infant compatible, ear facing and not too heavy.

The Bee is cute... just wish that both the sun canopy and the under carriage are bigger (as compared to the Cruz and Spark).

coastgirl
08-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Hope I didn't offend anyone. During our stroller ride that particular evening, LO seemed relieved that I wasn't trying to engage him yet again and happy for his mellow time in the stroller.

edurnemk
08-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Hope I didn't offend anyone. During our stroller ride that particular evening, LO seemed relieved that I wasn't trying to engage him yet again and happy for his mellow time in the stroller.

Don't worry, i don't think anyone is offended.

MacMacMoo
08-26-2012, 09:35 AM
DS1 is our stroller baby, but does not like riding backwards. I use to have to push shopping carts backwards so that he could ride forward. So rear facing wasn't a big deal when we bought stroller with him in mind.

DS2 is a different story. for starters he loathed car seats so we didn't use the infant carrier in the stroller, mostly wore him. First big outing he put him in the stroller and he screamed the entire time, until i started walking backwards in front of him so he could see me. That night we started looking into a rear facing stroller, we ended up with the pliko switch.

poohbear
08-26-2012, 05:49 PM
I really like having a stroller that can rear face but I wouldn't call it a necessity. I didn't have one with DD1 at all and lived to tell it. I do have fun with DD2 in a rear facing stroller though.

If you like the Valco Zee, have you checked out the Valco Spark? The Zee is $330 and the bassinet is $100, right? The Spark has the bassinet built in for $500 and it rear faces.

:yeahthat: never had one until ds was 18 months and never parent faced. Have the vista and the bee plus for dd and love it. It's definitely not a need and all babes are different - ds really didn't want to face me, even at target in a shopping cart - he liked to see the world. Dd may be the same, but I"m glad I have the option. Plus the strollers I have that have the option both happen to be awesome.