PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarten roll call

boolady
08-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Who's got a little one starting kindergarten this year? I do, and I'm not taking it well. I'm not really emotional over DD's milestones, but this one seems to be hitting me hard-- it just seems so grownup. Silly, I know.

So, what are the details?

Start date: 9/5

Full day/half-day: full

School day start time: 8:10 a.m.

Bus/other: no buses in our 1 sq-mile district, so I will drop her off.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Ours look like the traditional not-too-healthy, so I'm planning on packing. She and I are going shopping tonight while DH is at the ball game with my dad, and I think we're going to try the Rubbermaid lunch system. I already got her a Thermos funtainer (Barbie, barf) for hot foods.

Other random exciting details: Not many here. DD is starting field hockey clinic on 9/9 for 8 weeks, and I'm trying to figure out if there's a Daisy troop in our area. We'll limit her to that for the fall.

Throw out anything you've got-- I'm curious to hear what everyone's experiences are like, as I know in some places, school's already starting.

ETA: I wasn't trying to exclude homeschooling kids...I realize some of my questions won't apply, but I'd love to hear about your plans and experiences just the same.

Mermanaid
08-21-2012, 12:37 PM
We are! To be honest, I've been so busy with work and helping to plan the kindy picnic that it hasn't really hit me yet that my baby is starting school!

Start date: 8/27

School day start time: 7:45 a.m.

Bus/other: no buses so I will drop him off or walk him to school

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): We let the kids pick 2x a week to buy the school junk. The other three days they take. They picked out HORRIBLE lunch kits from Target and I picked up the Rubbermaid square containers to fit in them. We shall see how this goes.

Other random exciting details: DS is starting his third season of t-ball next week. I hope he doesn't get too overwhelmed with school and the outside activities. We only allow the kids to do one activity at a time (although I've already broke that for DD who does gymnastics and is a GS Brownie).

vonfirmath
08-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Start date: 8/28

School day start time: 7:35 a.m.

Bus/other: Bus

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Reduced price lunch

Other random exciting details: ReStarting AWANAs on Sunday as a Spark! Meeting his K teacher this Thursday evening!

elizabethkott
08-21-2012, 12:51 PM
James is starting Kindergarten!!! I can't even believe it... I started crying when we got his teacher assignment.

Start date: 9/4

School day start time: 8:30 a.m.

Bus/other: Bus pick up at 8:21 (according to the letter that came home!) which I believe means he's close to the end of the route for pickup and close to the beginning of the route for drop off.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): I'll be sending him with our own chicken nuggets and tots (quite literally the ONLY thing this child will eat with relative certainty for lunch). Still figuring out the whole how-to-keep-it-hot/warm thing - the thermos trial did not work well.

Other random exciting details: Our school tries to bridge them in the first week, so Tuesday and Wednesday, they only go until 11:30, with no lunch. Thursday, they stay until 1, so they get lunch that day, and then Friday they go for the whole day, until 3:30.
School bus Orientation is on the 27th, and Meet the Teacher is on the 30th.
Waaaahhhhhhhhh!

mommylamb
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm in the same boat. I can't believe DS1 starts K! I think I had a panic attack about it the other night. The school-- which is very nice-- just seems so big! There are something like 800 kids there! There will either be 6 or 7 K classes! OMG! Details:

Full day/half day: Full

Start time: 9:15

Transportation: Bus

Lunch: Each kid gets a pin number and you put money on their electronic pin on line if you want to do hot lunch. We'll probably do that because it's easier than packing. The lunch choices actually look decent, though it all depends on what he picks. We'll see how it goes.

Other details: DS1 will be doing before and after care at the school he is currently at for pre K. This school has private K, and does before and after care up through 5th grade. I was tempted to keep him in private K there, but decided not to as he would just be transitioning to public the following year anyway, and this way he's new when all the kids are new. The school bus that he would otherwise take to go to our house stops at the pre K school, so he will be riding the same bus.

o_mom
08-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Start date: 8/15

School day start time: 8:05 a.m.

Bus/other: Bus stops in front of our house :banana:

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Packed lunch so far. The hot lunch isn't too awful, but I'm not going to do that for the first month or so. They go through the line and the "cashier" picks them out on the screen by picture/name.

Other random exciting details: Not really "exciting", but we are already scheduling conferences. <sigh> I have a feeling we are going to be making full use of the public school services.

pinay
08-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Start date: TOMORROW!!!

Full day/half-day: full day after first month, abbreviated transitional schedule till late Sept

School day start time: 8:00 a.m.

Bus/other: We live across the street from the playground entrance so we'll be walking to school :)

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Packed lunch most days- they are implementing a palm scan system for those buying lunch but I doubt we'll be buying many hot lunches, at least at first.

Other random exciting details: DD2 is scheduled to arrive in early September, so lOts of changes around here! Hopefully we can settle into a routine rather quickly, then DD1 will start after school swim lessons 2x a week in late Sept. on maternity leave till January, so I'm hoping that helps with the transition to kinder go as smoOthly as possible.

hanaum02
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM

School day start time: 9:00 a.m.

Bus/other: I will drive

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): School provided

Other random exciting details: She will be in private kindergarten at same place she did preschool and daycare - so, not a huge transition and a little less emotional for me. That being said, she misses the cut-off by a couple of days so it took us awhile before deciding to push her through to K (ultimately decided that this is the right place for her as all of her classmates from the last 4 years are going to K and she's right with them in terms of both academics and social devpt). We're going to put her in the daisy troop from our local public elementary school so that when she goes there for 1st grade, she already knows some other girls.

Michelle
DS 9/04
DD 10/07

elektra
08-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Full day/half-day: half

Bus/other: We live right across the street from the school so DH or I can walk her over.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): It's only half day so we just need to pack a snack. I have a skip hop owl lunch box which I think should work well. The ziplock containers don't really fit but our Klip It lunch cubes do. I also have a funtainer thermos. I decided to try and use what we have as far as the lunch containers go, since I am not really sure how substantial the snack needs to be.

Other random exciting details: DD will also be doing swim team 2-3x a week at 5pm and ballet on Saturdays. DS also starts preschool the week after DD starts K. Oh and DH and I just realized we have business trips this same week- trying to figure out how to make it all work!

trales
08-21-2012, 01:17 PM
DD and I are very excited for this. She is at the same school she has been at for 2 years. We just found out a girl that I think bullies DD is going to be in her class, I have a conference on Thur with the teacher. If things get hairy in the next month I will pull her and send her elsewhere. The compounding factor is the bullies mom thinks I am one of her best friends.

Start date:8/27

School day start time:9a.m

Bus/other: private school with no bus. I will do drop off and pick up.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Packed lunch everyday but Friday when they have pizza.

Other random exciting details: DD is doing swimming, piano and maybe ballet. She is very excited.

daisysmom
08-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Start date: Monday the 27th for meet the teacher, classes start Tues the 28th.

Full day/half-day: full day (until 3 pm) and extended care after that until 6 (but I am part time so can pick up most days, I hope, by 4)

School day start time: drop off is 7:50 - 8:10 and start time is 8:10 a.m.

Bus/other: I'll drive her - the school is 22 minutes away without drop-off traffic, but I am planning on 30 minutes. Our pre-K (and preschool before that) started at 9 am and was a quick walk from our house, so this will really require some swift getting ready.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Packed lunch most days- they can also buy lunch. My kid is a picky eater so I want to do a mix.

Other random exciting details: We are also stopping having a nanny, and our current nanny is just delightful and a real friend to me (despite being about half my age). I think I, DD and our 11 year old lab are all going to have a real culture shock to not have a nanny around the house so much. But I think DD needs this, and needs to experience extended day, for as an only child, she really got to do whatever she wanted whenever she wanted with a nanny. Needless to say, I am really excited and really nervous. DD is nervous about some things too - like "what happens if I don't like gym class" or "what happens if I can't get all the answers right". I am ready to dive in though - she needs to have the feeling of succeeding at it.

ha98ed14
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
We're in too!

Bus/other: Drive. School is about .8 mile from us. We could walk if we left early enough. As it is, we will be driving about half way and then walking the rest of the way since I want to drop her off at the door of her classroom.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): We're packing lunch, possibly a snack.

Other random exciting details: We haven't gotten the schedule yet, but DD will be going to a special aftercare from 11:40 to 2 for the morning Kers. Then she gets thrown in with the big kids from 2 on. I'm nervous about that. I know she can hold her own against her classmates, but kids twice as old as she is? I'm worried. I am going to try to p/u as soon as I can, but on days I have to work, it will be a challenge!

We have been having a very rough transition from lazy mornings where we can roll into preschool at 9 AM v. Real school where Tardies (sp?) count against you. DD has a really hard time getting up and going; she needs a lot of transition time. I don't know if it is better to get her up that much earlier or let her sleep. Because of this, I am thinking about putting dance on hold. It's one more thing we have to get up and go to (on Saturday mornings). I can see us coming back to it in Oct/Nov. but I feel the need to make school the only thing we are asking of DD. It's going to be a huge flip from church pre school to real K. Some kids are already reading. Mine isn't and there has been no pressure at pre school to read, which is fine, but I'm worried it's gonna be a steep learning curve. Can you tell, I'm nervous?

smilequeen
08-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Start date: 8/22... tomorrow

School day start time: 8:15 a.m.

Bus/other: private school, I drive

Lunches: I'm packing b/c he's a picky eater. Our school lunches are actually pretty darn good. My oldest does hot lunch, but my middle is just too picky.

Other random exciting details: He's super excited, happy to be one of the big kids now. It's the same school he's been at since he was 2. He also starts boys gymnastics this week...for the big boys, can't stop talking about that.

csnoop
08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
DD started kinder already! I am so excited.

Start date: 8/20

School day start time: 8:25am, it's' only a 15 mins drive but it takes at least 15 mins to get everyone out the door, into the car etc.

Bus/other: no bus here, driving everyday

Lunches: the good thing is that DD is happy to eat a sandwich (usually ham & cheese) every single day, I am grateful for that, though she wants a thermos food jar and claim that she wants leftover some times

Other random exciting details: Not too much exciting stuff for DD yet. We are holding off after school stuff, probably swimming, til she is more adjusted to her school schedule. She also claims that she wants to do gymnastics (after watching probably way too much Olympic coverage) and has been doing headstands every single day at home. I, on the other hand, am super excited about this transition. DD is very excited about school. I need some peace & quiet (relatively speaking). Now, I just have DS at home with me. Even though DS is hitting the twos, it's still nice to just be in charge of one kid for a while.

maylips
08-21-2012, 02:17 PM
We started on the 10th of this month! So we're old hats by now. :jammin: I was one of those moms who was too excited to be sad.

Start date: 8/10

Bus/other: We live 5 minutes from school, which after being *almost* late a few times already, I'm very thankful for. I drive her because if she took the bus, she'd have to get on too early.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): We combo it - sometimes I pack something, sometimes she eats there. Our school provides free breakfast for kindergarteners, so the entire class goes together at 8 a.m. That's great in a way, but it's TWO meals I'm not in control of and I'm a control nut with food. So I try to pack more often than not, so she won't be tempted with the crap they say is nutritional in the cafeteria (discovered the first day that they not only serve 1% milk but also chocolate, vanilla and strawberry milk, all of which are loaded with sugar. What 5 year old is going to choose wisely when offered those choices?!?! I digress....)

Other random exciting details: DS started 2x morning preschool as well so I have TWO MORNINGS A WEEK THAT I'M ALONE IN THE HOUSE. :yay:

Tammy
08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Count us in too! Started last week.

Start date: 8/17

Bus/other: Bus. This is one of her favorite parts of K!

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): She'll do both the hot lunches at school and I'll pack her lunch on days she doesn't like anything there. She's super picky so not sure what I'll pack at this point (won't even eat sandwiches).

Other random exciting details: DD1 is going to a new after school program after being at the same daycare for 4 years now. So far she likes it and does know a couple of the other kids there (one is a good friend of hers).

mommylamb
08-21-2012, 02:37 PM
:( I'm really jealous of all of you with your early start times! Ours starts at 9:15, which means that we have to pay for both before and after care. If it were an 8:15 start, I'd only have to deal with after care.

alleycat
08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Start date: 9/4, Tues and Wed are half days and full day starts Thurs

School day start time: 9:30 a.m.

Bus/other: Bus, but I haven't received any info yet.

Lunches-- packed lunch since the school doesn't have a kitchen. i'm still trying to figure out what my picky eater will eat.

Other random exciting details: she's in the same class as her best friend in her preK class. most of the kids have been split up and does not no anyone in their class.

vonfirmath
08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
:( I'm really jealous of all of you with your early start times! Ours starts at 9:15, which means that we have to pay for both before and after care. If it were an 8:15 start, I'd only have to deal with after care.

:) i LOVE our early start time. It will be an adjustment. My always-woke-up-at-the-crack of 5:30am kid is sleeping in until 6:30a in the new house (yikes!) but still SO worth it.

MamaMolly
08-21-2012, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=boolady;3577196]

Start date: August 9.

School day start time: gates open at 8:00, tardy bell is at 8:30.

Bus/other: private, so no busses. I do drop off and pick up.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): hot lunch is available but I pack from home. Lula has FA and I don't want to risk it.

Other random exciting details: We are debating swim lessons. She has them in class twice a week but she could use more.

This is where Lula attended PreK last year so I'm more 'yippieeee school is starting!!' than sad.

elektra
08-21-2012, 03:12 PM

Ugh, that sucks. Our school offers the early bird and late bird sessions for K and we were in the late bird initially and I was bummed.
I kept following up and they did eventually let me know that there was an early bird spot available, which we decided to take. However, now I am worried that I should have been careful what I wished for because I had convinced myself that there were benefits to the later time!
Hopefully you guys get in a groove and that it all works out.

mommylamb
08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Ugh, that sucks. Our school offers the early bird and late bird sessions for K and we were in the late bird initially and I was bummed.
I kept following up and they did eventually let me know that there was an early bird spot available, which we decided to take. However, now I am worried that I should have been careful what I wished for because I had convinced myself that there were benefits to the later time!
Hopefully you guys get in a groove and that it all works out.

I'm sure it will be totally fine. Just wishing I could save myself a few bucks is all. Even if we had an earlier start time, it would still be hard some of the time if both DH and I needed to be out the door early. At least with having the before care set, it gives us some additional flexibility.

arivecchi
08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
DS starts next week. We actually met his kindy teacher today as well as some of his classmates.

Start date: Aug. 27

Full day/half-day: half day

School day start time: 9:00

Bus/other: Bus to after care. Not sure if we will drop him off or if he has to be picked up by bus. We live super close to the school (our road ends just down the school entrance), but it may make more sense to use the bus so that we do not have to drive far away from the house to get in the drop-off line.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Will be packing lunch for after-care.

I am so not ready for this!

megs4413
08-21-2012, 04:09 PM

School day start time: 8:30 am

Bus/other: private, so no buses. we will drive.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): we will pack

Other random exciting details: It's a university model school, and we're really excited about it! The kids will be at home to do work on tuesdays and thursdays. It should take about 3 hours on the home days to work through everything. I think it's going to be a really great fit for us.

We're also doing uniforms for the first time and I think they're adorable. I'm looking forward to not arguing with DD every morning about what she'll wear. ;)

maestramommy
08-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Arwyn is starting K.

Start Date: 8/28

Half day

Start time: 8am

bus: shows up at 7:06. Yeah, next Tuesday should be fun:p I pick her up at the end, same time as Laurel.

Snack only.

Both she and Dora start ballet the week after.

Jacksmommy2b
08-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Full day/half-day: Half

School day start time: 1:00 PM

Bus/other: We drop off but he can take the bus home.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): Snack only, but our school lunch program is pretty decent - multiple options including a daily vegetarian meal.

Other random exciting details: J has no interest in going to kinder. None. I've been trying to talk it up but he says he would rather drive the car and go to work like dad. :rolleye0014: I have no idea where it came from as he only had great experiences with prek.
Baby is due two weeks after J starts, so that should be lots of fun for all of us!

MontrealMum
08-21-2012, 09:37 PM
We're in the club too!

Start date: 8/29

Bus/other: it's our local school...we'll be walking, something I always want to do but never got to as a child. Ask me in winter if this is still something I feel like I've missed out on :p

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): We've chosen to pay for DS to eat lunch at school. The menu is set by a dietician and cooked on site just like his daycare/preschool was.

Other random exciting details: The school is French immersion which is pretty exciting, but not all that unusual where we live. I am interested to see how it works in "real life" though as that is certainly not something I grew up around.

The only other random detail is that mommy (me!) is starting school this fall as well. As faculty :) DS doesn't quite get that this will be at a different school, however, so I'm sure that's going to be a bit bumpy at first.

AbbysMom
08-21-2012, 09:52 PM

School day start time: 7:45 a.m.

Bus/other: bus picks her up at 7:10. Early early and she's the last one they pick up!

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): I'll send her with something (not sure what yet!)

Other random exciting details: Going to a back to school barbeque on Tuesday. Hope to meet some kids she knows.

melwe
08-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Start Date: 8/15

School day start time: 8:40

Bus/other: Bus picks up at 8:05. So far she likes riding the bus. They have assigned seats, and she sits next to her friend.

Lunches: Buy some, bring some. We went thought the menu and picked the days she wanted to buy (average about 2x per week). The first time she bought lunch, she picked out yogurt, mashed potatoes and gravy, strawberry milk, and thought it was AMAZING. Oh well.

Other random details: I did better the first day than I thought; I still cried though. I had to consciously remind myself to not follow her up the school bus steps. I remember thinking to myself "Stop following her. You are not going with her." Even after doing all day preschool last year, she is really tired after school. Homework once a week. Favorite part of the day: recess :)

karstmama
08-21-2012, 10:43 PM
start date - next monday, aug 27 open house is this thurs, so there are lots of details i don't know yet.

full day

don't know start time or end time

not 100%, but 95% sure we'll be driving

lunch - likely a mix. he's a good eater, so i'll see what the usual menu is & lean toward sending if it is crap. last year for pre-k, the pre-k students all got free breakfast & lunch, so sending will be new.

other randomness - he'll be in the exceptional class for the academics & mainstreamed for the 'specials' and recess. he has absolutely no clue or worries about any of it - not aware enough for it to bother him.

melrose7
08-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Start date: sept 4, only half the kids go the 4th, other half the 5th, then all the 6th

School day start time: 8:35
Ends: 3:35, every other Wednesday at 2:15

Bus/other: trying the bus this year. We only live 5-6 blocks away but not sidewalk for all of it and I sometimes have too many kids in the house than I have room for in the car. If it doesn't work out we'll walk or drive

Lunch: I'll pack it from home unless she sees friends eating and wants to try. Then we'll look at the menu to see what she may like. We had a trial run with the lunchbox over the weekend. She did pretty good.

Other randomness: nervous as i just found out they added a 3rd class for K5 and still don't have a teacher hired. DD2 is worried she going to get the new teacher. She wants the on DD1 had last year. she'll take swimming in the evening once a week

wendibird22
08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
DD1 is starting K and honestly DH and I are so excited for her. She's so ready. I WOH and she's been going to full time daycare all along so while K is a great milestone and I will savor the day, I'm not emotional about it.

School day start time: 9:15 a.m.

Bus/other: bus from before/after school sitter.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): mostly packing but will let her buy if there's a meal she thinks she'll like. Also packing a snack because she doesn't have lunch until 12:40pm and we are used to feeding her at 11:45/12 and I think she'll be STARVING and the K teacher requested kids be sent with an a.m. snack.

Other random exciting details: Her teacher is brand new, just graduated college, but we live in small town USA and everyone knows her and her family and have wonderful things to say so we are excited to have her as DDs teacher. And the sitter has 3 boys (1st, 3rd, and 5th) and I'm excited for DD1 to have pseudo big brothers to look out for her on the bus and at school.

BillK
08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Start date: 8/28

Full day/half-day: Half

School day start time: Not sure - my wife knows

Bus/other: We are walkers as our house is only 1 block from elementary school.

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): n/a

Other random exciting details: Ben starts 1/2 day kindergarten and big brother Zach is starting 2nd grade. BOTH boys got the "best/most sought after" teachers this year! So we're pretty happy.

KDsMommy
08-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Start date: 8/20

Full day/half-day: Full day

School day start time: 8:00

Bus/other: No bus offerred if you live within 2 miles of the school, which we do, so I drive DS

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): He bought lunch on the first day and said he never wants to do that ever again (!), so we're packing lunch with the very occasional hot lunch. Wednesday is ice cream day so I'm sure he'll be buying ice cream today!

Other random exciting details: DS loves his teacher and has already made friends in his class, but he says the cafeteria and after-care are "lame"! Oh well, I'm a single mama who WOH full-time so he has no choice but to go to after-care. DS will start soccer a couple times a week in Oct.

DietCokeLover
08-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Start date: was Monday the 20th

School day start time: 8:00

Bus/other: No busses. DD goes to a private Christian school. We only live 1 mile from there.

Lunches-- she comes home for lunch

Other random exciting details: Only 6 other kids in the class. She is loving it so far and is so excited about going.

brismom
08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Been at it for a almost a month already!

Start date: 7/25

School day start time: 8:15 a.m.

Bus/other: Walking her until I return to work then carpooling with neighbor

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): She has no interest in the school lunch so DH makes her lunch

Other random exciting details: She is in the dual immersion program so has 2 teachers. Half the day instruction is in Spanish with one teacher and the other half is in English with a different teacher. She enjoys it and is adjusting well. Also has swim, dance and when I return to work are going to add on gymnastics.

inmypjs
08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Start date: August 15

School day start time: 8:50
Ends: 3:40

Bus/other: We live close, so I drive. We just started drop off line, and I love watching my 2nd grader and kindergartner walk into school holding hands!

Lunch: So far I pack from home. She has been unimpressed by the hot lunch menu. She is planning to try salad bar as she likes raw veggies a lot.

Other info: I have an older child too who has struggled a bit with learning and separation. DD is the opposite so it is a nice change.

hillview
08-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Bus/other: drop off

Lunches-- what's the plan (if applicable): planet lunch box.

Other random exciting details: DS is in Montessori school so kindy is actually year 3 of his 3 year cycle in the class. He will do soccer and tennis on weekends (he is SUPER physical and loves activity).

NewfieNat
08-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Start date: Sept 5

Full day/half-day: Half day, 4 days a week

School day start time: 8:10

Bus/other: We live close so we'll be walking/biking or driving when it's very cold.

Lunches: Snack only

Other random exciting details: We live in a VERY late cut-off district (Feb 28 of the following year) so since we decided to wait a year, she will be the oldest in her class, turning 6 in the fall. She has special needs funding because of juvenile arthritis and uveitis and will have an aid, likely shared with another child. It's a public Christian school which is rare around here and we feel quite lucky to have! Oh, and she doesn't want to go at all. She will be doing swimming in a nice, warm pool and rhythmic gymnastics.