PDA

View Full Version : When did your baby's eyes change color?

Mopey
08-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Hopefully Miss Mopey will sleep a little longer so I can read responses.

Her eyes go from dark blue to dark green, light greenish gray and sometimes a little brown in the middle. I assumed she'd be all dark like my hubby but her hair has lightened considerably and her eyes are flirting with all sorts of colors.

I feel like this is a lot of teasing for them to turn brown? She was five months yesterday. I know they won't be as light as mine (blue/green) but wondering.....hazel? Dark green?

TIA :)

PS - I did a bunch of searches but nothing on this came up.

Green_Tea
08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
DS's went from bright blue to dark brown AFTER his first birthday! His eyes are blue in all his first birthday pictures.

SnuggleBuggles
08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Ds1's are still blue. Ds2's changed after 18m, closer to 2yo, to a golden hazel.

123LuckyMom
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I think eye color can change up to 3 years old! Enjoy the changing scenery!

shoxie
08-21-2012, 06:14 PM
My kiddos all changed, thus far, somewhere around 2-3YO. Youngest is close to 2 now, so we're waiting to see if his eye color is set or not. I read, too, that they can change up until 3YO which was surprising!

randomkid
08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
DD's eyes were blue for the longest time, then started changing colors until they settled on light brown. She was 2 yo before they changed to brown.

Hemlock
08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
My daughter had blue eyes until she was 2 years old. They are now light brown.

queenmama
08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Henry's were bright blue until about 18 months, when they turned green. He has a little brown around one pupil, which is just the opposite of my eye color (brown with green).

flashy09
08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Wow, I thought 8-9 months is when they were set! To get brown eyes, does at least one parent need brown eyes?

joonbug
08-21-2012, 07:17 PM
DDs eyes changed very quickly, she was 3-4 months old, she was born with blue-gray eyes and the started getting darker almost right away. Now they re dark brown, darker than my DHs even. That said, she s a mixed race so I expected dark brown eyes (mine are green).

rupptopia
08-21-2012, 07:41 PM
My kiddos have kept their blue eyes but I was never sure until they turned four. My niece turned from blue to green when she was three and a half! I never believed it could happen that late until I saw it myself . . .

geochick
08-21-2012, 07:42 PM
My dd had blue eyes for 4 years, then they turned to hazel, and now that she's 6, one of them is getting a brown spot. ODD!

My MIL swore to me when my dd was 3 that she's always have blue eyes.

Neatfreak
08-21-2012, 08:36 PM
A lot later than I expected! DD2's eyes morphed from blue to green with a touch of hazel when she was about 3.5 yrs.

Snow mom
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Wow, I thought 8-9 months is when they were set! To get brown eyes, does at least one parent need brown eyes?

If both parents have blue eyes the kiddos eyes should stay blue (there's always spontaneous back mutations and unknown parentage). I always think people who look at DD and talk about whether they think her bright, bright blue eyes will stay blue are crazy--both DH and I have blue eyes. Technically the genes for hazel/brown/green are all "brown" genes. These are dominant so depending on whether an individual has one dominant and one recessive (blue) or two dominant it can be possible for two parents with brown eyes to have a blue eyed child.

marymoo86
08-21-2012, 08:47 PM
DDs turned green about 6 months ago and I hope they stay that way!

Eye color can continue to change. I had dark brown eyes that turned a hazel green when I was roughly 8 or 9

Blue Hydrangea
08-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Ds's changed when he was 18 months, over Christmas. We have pictures of the beginning of Christmas with bright blue eyes, and pictures from New Year's Eve with his current shade, a color we have a hard time describing but it's a dark grey/hazel shade now. He's 3 now, not sure if they'll go brown or not.

DD has bright blue for now, but I'm not holding my breath that she'll keep them.

crl
08-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Dd's are still bright blue at 29 months so I don't think they are changing. My neighbor who has three kids, two whose eyes changed from blue to brown. She said they both started changing around six months.

Catherine

ncat
08-21-2012, 10:22 PM
It was obvious by 5 or 6 months that neither DD nor DS would have their Daddy's blue eyes.

karstmama
08-21-2012, 10:34 PM
hmm. they started out really dark brown and now are pretty dark mediumish brown - like, they started out all one color & you couldn't see his pupil, but now you can. mine are green and assumed bio dad's are brown.

mom2khj
08-22-2012, 08:07 AM
DD1 and DS both turned brown pretty quickly. I want to say by 6 months.

DD2 stayed bright blue for a long time. Now they are kind of blue with brown flecks, sometimes they look green, sometimes they look grey and sometimes they look blue. LOL.

lizzywednesday
08-22-2012, 08:15 AM
I'd actually heard that green is a variation of blue, which would explain something - my dad's parents' eyes are/were blue but Dad's eyes are a greenish hazel (my eyes are a similar color)

Two of my siblings have velvety dark brown brown eyes. Like a deer's eyes dark.

My eyes are a greenish hazel (not bright green but not completely brown, more of a greenish-gold, depending on what I'm wearing.)

My brother Joe's eyes are blue with flecks of gold. They can also look greenish depending on what he's wearing.

DH has blue-gray eyes.

DD has DH's blue-gray eyes, but they can look greenish-gold depending on what she wears.

It'll be interesting to see if her eyes stay the same - she's 2.5 and they've been blue her entire life.

flashy09
08-22-2012, 08:53 AM
If both parents have blue eyes the kiddos eyes should stay blue (there's always spontaneous back mutations and unknown parentage). I always think people who look at DD and talk about whether they think her bright, bright blue eyes will stay blue are crazy--both DH and I have blue eyes. Technically the genes for hazel/brown/green are all "brown" genes. These are dominant so depending on whether an individual has one dominant and one recessive (blue) or two dominant it can be possible for two parents with brown eyes to have a blue eyed child.

Thanks...so since I have blue eyes and my husband has green, my baby has a 75% chance of green and a 25% of blue if Dh has eye genes that are Gg and 100% chance of green if he has GG genes?

When you say green is a "brown gene", do you just mean dominate like brown or that the gene that produces green can also produce brown or hazel?

janine
08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
My 2 DD's went through similar changes, so you never know. In my experience though the ones who end up with true blue eyes have very light blue eyes from the very beginning.

Those with dark blue or gray or dark green seem to end up hazel or light brown.

PS My DD's ended up with hazel (DD2 is still settling at 10mo's). I have brown (as do all my family) and DH has blue.

Snow mom
08-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks...so since I have blue eyes and my husband has green, my baby has a 75% chance of green and a 25% of blue if Dh has eye genes that are Gg and 100% chance of green if he has GG genes?

When you say green is a "brown gene", do you just mean dominate like brown or that the gene that produces green can also produce brown or hazel?

It's a bit more complicated than that and they are really making advances in the genetics of eye color in humans with next gen sequencing. Even I learned something new looking at the information. The main eye color gene is called OCA2 and it's a regulatory gene (meaning the mutation isn't in the coding part of the gene but rather in a bit that regulates how that coding part is expressed.) That's the traditional brown/blue gene. There are a number of other genes that have other effects, some in totally different parts of the genome. Brown, green, and hazel all have to do with how melanin is laid down in the eye but I guess I'm wrong that they all have the same allele at OCA2.

This is the new thing that I learned: "The combined efforts of these genes may boost melanin levels to produce hazel or brown eyes, or reduce total melanin resulting in blue eyes. This explains how two parents with blue eyes can have green- or brown-eyed children (an impossible situation under the Davenport single gene model) – the combination of color alleles received by the child resulted in a greater amount of melanin than either parent individually possessed." This is known as transgressive segregation. I always thought brown eyes from blue eyed parents could only be explained by spontaneous back mutations.

brittone2
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
DS1's changed pretty late, like 9 months or so? His went from blue to sort of brown/hazel (brown with a tiny touch of green flecks/ring, which is what DH's look l ike).

Smillow
08-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Re: transgressive segregation - My Mom has green eyes, my Dad has blue and of their 3 kids, I was the only one to have blue eyes. Both of my siblings have brown eyes; my brother's are especially dark. Apparently my sister's eyes were blue until about 1 year old.

Gena
08-22-2012, 01:13 PM
DS is 8 and his eyes are the same pale blue they were at birth.

DS has albinism, so his skin, hair, and eyes all have very little pigment. I sometimes wonder what his coloring would have been otherwise.

klwa
08-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Mine are a green brown hazel & are still getting darker, with me 36. :) Both of my brothers think I have the grey-blue hazel the rest of our family has because that's what color they were for YEARS. By the time I started school, they had turned more green than blue. But now they're getting more & more brown in them.

Mopey
08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
So interesting to read all this! From pictures mine were light, bright blue like now when I was barely crawling. Hubby's eyes have a lot of gold and green in the brown - unlike his sibs who have dark brown eyes. My mom has green and so does my sis, but my dad has brown. I guess we shall see! Good to know I can stop wondering and checking :)

Thanks everyone!!

BabyBearsMom
08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Glad to see you back, Mopey!:waving4:

With DD1, her eyes didn't settle until around 6 months. She has brown eyes with flecks of gold in them. I expected her to have dark eyes like me but hers are lighter.

With DD2, they are very nearly settled at 4 months. She has much darker eyes than DD1 (more like mine).

I have dark brown eyes and so does my entire family. DH has blue/gray eyes. His mom has blue eyes and his dad has brown.

janine
08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
For those with brown eyes with flecks of green/gold that shift with lighting, what color do you call them. Mine are dark brown...but both DD's have this color so I guess hazel?

Mopey
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Glad to see you back, Mopey!:waving4:

Hi Bears! :waving4: I am trying to take a few minutes for myself in here now that life is hectic - I love it :) Hope you are well!

klwa
08-23-2012, 01:46 PM
For those with brown eyes with flecks of green/gold that shift with lighting, what color do you call them. Mine are dark brown...but both DD's have this color so I guess hazel?

Yep. That's the "green-brown" hazel.

lizzywednesday
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM

I call it hazel because when I say "brown," I picture brown eyes like my sister's or my brother Ger's, not like mine.

Mine shift with lighting, what colors I'm wearing and whether or not I've dyed my hair recently. It's weird, I know, but it's the way it is.

KpbS
08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
DS2's changed at age 3 from an olive green to hazel brown with a tiny bit green. So surprising!

chiisai
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Both my kiddos were born with incredibly dark brown eyes. DS, almost black. They lightened up considerably to medium-ish brown around 1 1/2.

Both DH and I have brown eyes. DH's are more solid brown, while I have flecks of lighter and darker brown throughout.

mackmama
08-24-2012, 04:43 PM
DC is 19mo and has had the same eye color since birth (dark green/blue).

FWIW, my eyes were a dark hazel until high school when they turned a very light green/aqua.